Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#88105 - 08/29/10 08:56 AM Pets in Spain?
admiral44 Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Philadelphia, Aruba DWI
Here's a question I've been wondering about for a while... are cats popular as pets in Spain? Just wondering. During my recent visit I saw several stray cats around small towns and a few living in houses with their owners. But I'd like to know if cats are "popular" generally as pets or if Spaniards have a preference for dogs or birds or other animals.

Gracias.

#88106 - 08/29/10 09:26 AM Re: Pets in Spain? [Re: admiral44]
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
Relatives in Almada de Osuna (28042, Madrid) had 2-cats, (Flora and Piracas) house cats; and I am allergic to cat dander.

#88107 - 08/29/10 09:54 AM Re: Pets in Spain? [Re: Eddie]
steve robinson Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Hastings Old Town , England .
I used to have 2 cats ( brothers ) in the UK that lived to very long years ( they lived most of the time in the garden ) . In my barrio there are many many feral cats . However they get fed by the wealthy homeowners . Dogs are more accepted as pets , rangeing from labradors to small terriers or chihuahas . It´s an ongoing problem in Madrid that owners refuse to pick up the dog "dirt" ... It litters the city horribly .
Birds are popular with the older generation . Personally I hate walking down my street and seeing caged birds on balconies , desperate to fly away . But canaries etc... are popular .

#88109 - 08/29/10 11:37 AM Re: Pets in Spain? [Re: steve robinson]
jazz Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid
Here in Madrid, the fines are 1,500€ for not picking up dog droppings

#88111 - 08/29/10 02:54 PM Re: Pets in Spain? [Re: jazz]
laduque Offline
Executive Member

Loc: San Diego, CA, USA
When you ask my daughter "how was Spain this summer", she will recall three very important details that, IMHO, defines Madrid through the eyes of a 6 year old perfectly...She replies, "It's hot, you have to walk EVERYWHERE, and there's a ton of dog poop!"
She really loves Madrid, but this response always gets her more attention!

#88112 - 08/29/10 03:38 PM Re: Pets in Spain? [Re: laduque]
steve robinson Offline
Executive Member

Jazz , if the police could be bothered to enforce that then the ayuntamiento de Madrid would have a lot of money ! This is not important business for the police .

#88113 - 08/29/10 04:44 PM Re: Pets in Spain? [Re: steve robinson]
OsoMajor Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Garden Grove, California
Ahh dogs....nature's poop machines!!! We have two small dogs, a miniature pincher and a doxy. Guess who's job it is to clean up the crap?! And my son wants to get a Doberman??? Oh hell no!!!

When I was a kid our dog was not allowed in the house. My mother would not permit it. And noticed that other hispanic families had the same attitude towards dogs and cats when I was growing up. Now it's different since people have virtually anthropomorphised these little creatures. Don't get me wrong, I like dogs and cats but I don't love them!

#88121 - 08/30/10 12:44 PM Re: Pets in Spain? [Re: OsoMajor]
Puna Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Charlotte, NC. U.S.A.
Love your 6 year old's comments, Laduque smile

I think Steve's point is valid about what the cops spend their time doing. I'm a dog owner and have been so in 4 states and, without a doubt, the most effective cure for people leaving their dog poop where it drops is for other dog owners to nicely hand the errant owner a plastic (or paper) bag while saying something like "you must have run out of bags - I have an extra -here" - then watch while he/she picks up after pet. The person is usally toooooo embarrased to do anything else. Lesson learned.

#88123 - 08/31/10 04:06 AM Re: Pets in Spain? [Re: Puna]
steve robinson Offline
Executive Member

Puna ... That is a GREAT way of dealing with the situation ! Diplomatic rather than agressive . Spain should learn that lesson !

#88125 - 09/01/10 09:56 AM Re: Pets in Spain? [Re: steve robinson]
admiral44 Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Philadelphia, Aruba DWI
I appreciate all the colorful commentary on doggie discharge, but perhaps I could get a few more reflections on cats as popular or not in Spain?

Gracias.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments