Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#88105 - 08/29/10 08:56 AM Pets in Spain?
admiral44 Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Philadelphia, Aruba DWI
Here's a question I've been wondering about for a while... are cats popular as pets in Spain? Just wondering. During my recent visit I saw several stray cats around small towns and a few living in houses with their owners. But I'd like to know if cats are "popular" generally as pets or if Spaniards have a preference for dogs or birds or other animals.

Gracias.

#88106 - 08/29/10 09:26 AM Re: Pets in Spain? [Re: admiral44]
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
Relatives in Almada de Osuna (28042, Madrid) had 2-cats, (Flora and Piracas) house cats; and I am allergic to cat dander.

#88107 - 08/29/10 09:54 AM Re: Pets in Spain? [Re: Eddie]
steve robinson Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Hastings Old Town , England .
I used to have 2 cats ( brothers ) in the UK that lived to very long years ( they lived most of the time in the garden ) . In my barrio there are many many feral cats . However they get fed by the wealthy homeowners . Dogs are more accepted as pets , rangeing from labradors to small terriers or chihuahas . It´s an ongoing problem in Madrid that owners refuse to pick up the dog "dirt" ... It litters the city horribly .
Birds are popular with the older generation . Personally I hate walking down my street and seeing caged birds on balconies , desperate to fly away . But canaries etc... are popular .

#88109 - 08/29/10 11:37 AM Re: Pets in Spain? [Re: steve robinson]
jazz Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid
Here in Madrid, the fines are 1,500€ for not picking up dog droppings

#88111 - 08/29/10 02:54 PM Re: Pets in Spain? [Re: jazz]
laduque Offline
Executive Member

Loc: San Diego, CA, USA
When you ask my daughter "how was Spain this summer", she will recall three very important details that, IMHO, defines Madrid through the eyes of a 6 year old perfectly...She replies, "It's hot, you have to walk EVERYWHERE, and there's a ton of dog poop!"
She really loves Madrid, but this response always gets her more attention!

#88112 - 08/29/10 03:38 PM Re: Pets in Spain? [Re: laduque]
steve robinson Offline
Executive Member

Jazz , if the police could be bothered to enforce that then the ayuntamiento de Madrid would have a lot of money ! This is not important business for the police .

#88113 - 08/29/10 04:44 PM Re: Pets in Spain? [Re: steve robinson]
OsoMajor Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Garden Grove, California
Ahh dogs....nature's poop machines!!! We have two small dogs, a miniature pincher and a doxy. Guess who's job it is to clean up the crap?! And my son wants to get a Doberman??? Oh hell no!!!

When I was a kid our dog was not allowed in the house. My mother would not permit it. And noticed that other hispanic families had the same attitude towards dogs and cats when I was growing up. Now it's different since people have virtually anthropomorphised these little creatures. Don't get me wrong, I like dogs and cats but I don't love them!

#88121 - 08/30/10 12:44 PM Re: Pets in Spain? [Re: OsoMajor]
Puna Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Charlotte, NC. U.S.A.
Love your 6 year old's comments, Laduque smile

I think Steve's point is valid about what the cops spend their time doing. I'm a dog owner and have been so in 4 states and, without a doubt, the most effective cure for people leaving their dog poop where it drops is for other dog owners to nicely hand the errant owner a plastic (or paper) bag while saying something like "you must have run out of bags - I have an extra -here" - then watch while he/she picks up after pet. The person is usally toooooo embarrased to do anything else. Lesson learned.

#88123 - 08/31/10 04:06 AM Re: Pets in Spain? [Re: Puna]
steve robinson Offline
Executive Member

Puna ... That is a GREAT way of dealing with the situation ! Diplomatic rather than agressive . Spain should learn that lesson !

#88125 - 09/01/10 09:56 AM Re: Pets in Spain? [Re: steve robinson]
admiral44 Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Philadelphia, Aruba DWI
I appreciate all the colorful commentary on doggie discharge, but perhaps I could get a few more reflections on cats as popular or not in Spain?

Gracias.

#88127 - 09/01/10 04:45 PM Re: Pets in Spain? [Re: admiral44]
teachertraveler8 Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Detroit, Michigan
When I lived with a family in Tres Cantos (suburb of Madrid) in 1991, they had two family cats.

#88128 - 09/01/10 06:21 PM Re: Pets in Spain? [Re: admiral44]
Jim Costello Offline

Loc: New York City
Are cats popular in Spain as pets or do Spaniards prefer dogs or other animals.

I talked with Raul, my Spaniard son-in-law, and Joni, my daugher on this topic. They and their children are on holidays with my wife and me in New York. Raul's parents in Zaragoza had a cat named Rocky for 20 years. My wife and I visited Raul's parent's condo a number of times and we saw Rocky a home cat. He stayed in their condo all the time. They have a terrace that Rocky would sleep on and got sun.

When I asked Raul which animal do Spaniards prefer as pets, he replied the same as here (meaning the USA), dogs. The reasons are universal, i.e. most dogs are friendly, happy to see their master, and good crime prevention deterrent. Criminals will usually not break into an home when a dog is barking. Spaniards like to walk and a dog is a good companion.
Cats are generally not friendly and are very independent.

Joni, my daugher, who has lived in Spain for the last 13 years agreed that Spaniards prefer small dogs as pets.

Here is a good reason why people in general prefer a dog over a cat. When my family had a dog, I would come home from work at 2:00 am, the dog (Jackie) would come running to the door and was very excited to see me. I would spend 5 minutes petting Jackie before she would go back to sleep. When we had a cat (Stanley) he never came to greet me. Jackie slept in her bed but Stanley slept any where he wanted. I had to use a flash light to avoid stepping on him. The disadvantage of a dog in the USA is picking-up dog feces. Some time in the near future Spaniards will begin to pick-up their dog feces. Home cats use a litter box and usually don't go outside except in the country.

Saludos

#88130 - 09/02/10 02:27 AM Re: Pets in Spain? [Re: Jim Costello]
steve robinson Offline
Executive Member

Ok I´m going to defend the cats ! They are very independent which is why , as a single person like me , you can just put them in the garden ( if you have one ).. go to work , or go out with friends and the cat will be quite happy .
When I worked in London I used to return home to my county of Essex at about6:30pm . As soon as I put my foot on the steps upto the house my cat , Wellington , would start meowing at my back door . I´d go inside , open the back door and he would not leave my side all night . So cats ARE friendly .

#88143 - 09/04/10 03:59 AM Re: Pets in Spain? [Re: steve robinson]
steve robinson Offline
Executive Member

Ok I went to lunch with friends yesterday neat the Plaza Santa Ana and my Irish friend ( She´s lived in Spain for over 9 years ) joined us for a drink later on joined by her new puppy , Bosco . He´s a yorkshire terrier and I totally fell in love with him . The cutest little thing i´ve seen in years .. and he seemed to like me .
By the way , he lives in a 2nd floor apartment in central Madrid .

#88164 - 09/06/10 01:00 PM Re: Pets in Spain? [Re: steve robinson]
Jim Costello Offline

Steve you are correct. My cat Stanley was lazy. During the day and when he was awake Stanley was friendly to me and my family but he didn't want to be bother a 2:00 am (don't blame him). Stanley loved attention. Cats are independent. Some people who have cats leave out food for them and the litter box and go to work for 10 hours. I have a neighbor who goes to homes to let walk a dog and feed the dog when they go to work. I gather in Madrid people who have dogs take them outside for a walk whereas cats usually stay in the flat.

Saludos Steve

#88165 - 09/06/10 01:17 PM Re: Pets in Spain? [Re: admiral44]
Jim Costello Offline

Steve, are dogs in Madrid allowed to go into restaurants and cafes? If you wanted to take Bosco to the James Joyce Irish restaurant/pub and give him a bowl of Guinness would Matt be permitted to do so according to the laws of the Madrid government.

Gracias

#88166 - 09/06/10 03:11 PM Re: Pets in Spain? [Re: Jim Costello]
Puna Offline
Executive Member

Great question Jim - I'm also interested in the answer about taking pets into bars/cafes/restaurants.

FYI Steve, tell your friend with the new puppy, if she has a lanai (balconey) she can train him to use that when she isn't there to walk him. And a dog that small can be trained to use a cat box. At least, that's what I've been told - all my dogs have been way too big to even think of that.

#88171 - 09/07/10 05:01 AM Re: Pets in Spain? [Re: Puna]
steve robinson Offline
Executive Member

Puna .. My friend already trained her dog to use a litter box .. so that´s fine now .
I´ve been into many bars and restaurants and seen dogs there .. some bars will have a sign saying " Perros No " but I get the impression the decision is made by the bar .
Food shops such as jamonerías or supermarkets will NOT allow dogs in .
I personally don´t mind seeing dogs in bars or even restaurants .. as long as they don´t have access to the kitchens . In rural parts of England such as where my mum lives , dogs in bars are normal . Often than not it´ll belong to the bar or pub owners .
I love sitting down in a pub , for a good roast dinner , a few drinks in front of an open fire and having the dog roaming around and being friendly .
Reminds me of a photo I took many years ago in an English city called Norwich ... There was a big sign outside a shop saying " no dogs allowed" we had my friend Karen pose infront of it jejejeje .. "sorry Karen , you´re not allowed in " ...hehehehehe

#88174 - 09/07/10 11:09 AM Re: Pets in Spain? [Re: steve robinson]
Puna Offline
Executive Member

Thanks for the posting Steve. I have seen dogs in numerous bars and cafes through-out Spain ... but rarely in Madrid. I still figure some day I WILL be able to live in Spain (fingers crossed) and can't really imagine not having a dog.

Good for your friend! Forward thinking makes life soooo much easier smile

#88269 - 09/21/10 11:57 AM Re: Pets in Spain? [Re: admiral44]
Jim Costello Offline

Hi Admiral 44,

Please share the results of your question, "are cats popular as pets in Spain or do Spaniards have a preference for dogs or birds or other pets". Thank you

#88275 - 09/21/10 05:52 PM Re: Pets in Spain? [Re: Jim Costello]
steve robinson Offline
Executive Member

Jim ,
in Madrid there is a definite preference for dogs . Where I live there are lots of cats but they are feral and you´d be well advised not to go near them .. very agressive . They live in the nearby park , and venture into the residential areas to get scraps of food .
Birds ( such as canaries ) are very popular .. especially with the older generation . They put the cages out on their balconies and you can hear the sad calls of a trapped bird . Birds need freedom !
The famous American author and poet , Maya Angelou , wrote a poem called " I know why the caged bird sings " Very beautiful :

A free bird leaps on the back of the wind
and floats downstream till the current ends
and dips his wing in the orange suns rays and dares to claim the sky.

But a bird that stalks down his narrow cage
can seldom see through his bars of rage
his wings are clipped and his feet are tied so he opens his throat to sing.

The caged bird sings with a fearful trill
of things unknown but longed for still
and his tune is heard on the distant hill
for the caged bird sings of freedom.

The free bird thinks of another breeze
and the trade winds soft through the sighing trees
and the fat worms waiting on a dawn-bright lawn and he names the sky his own.

But a caged bird stands on the grave of dreams
his shadow shouts on a nightmare scream
his wings are clipped and his feet are tied so he opens his throat to sing.

The caged bird sings with a fearful trill
of things unknown but longed for still
and his tune is heard on the distant hill
for the caged bird sings of freedom

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments