Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#87996 - 08/05/10 10:27 AM SPAIN Android Phone Apps?
La Sorpresa Offline

Loc: Naples, FL - USA
Hi all,

I have an android-technology 'smart' phone that is really helpful with weather, driving directions, restaurant recommendations (hours, cuisine types etc) here in the US, and it is easy to download apps that are useful here. Can anyone recommend any apps that mey help me in Spain, Madrid in particular?

I already have the Madrid Metro app that shows the routes, anything else that you all are using over there? Any recommendations would be appreciated!

Sparkalina

#87997 - 08/05/10 12:55 PM Re: SPAIN Android Phone Apps? [Re: La Sorpresa]
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
GREAT topic. I'm just now (finally!) getting into using SmartPhone applications - after owning a smartphone for like 3.5 years.

I don't have/use Android Technology but rather Windows Mobile Operating System so I can't help for Android specifically.

Where/How did you get the Madrid Metro application?? I'd love to get that one - but couldn't find anything at www.MetroMadrid.es . Surely I'm looking in the wrong place.

For weather, at least, you'd likely need internet connection for this application but others might offer stored/archived restaurant information. And while Guía del Ocio advertises, "Guía del Ocio en tu Móvil", it's simply to connect to their website via your mobile at http://www.guiadelocio.com/en-tu-movil , but it's not an application. And while I imagine your SmartPhone has Wi-Fi built in, I doubt (or maybe you do) have a an internet-access phone plan here in Spain (I don't either - seems like a waste of money - made worse by slow mobile connection speeds).

Anyone else have hints/recommendations/insights? If I get enough information compiled here I may just write a blog about it.

It's my uneducated impression that these kinds of applications are not so popular here in Spain but I could be wrong.

ViaMichelin has Madrid and Barcelona restaurants and tapas APPS for sale. But, they say they're "For Your iPhone". Does that mean they only work on iPhones???? What about the other 45+% of the population which does NOT have a %#$! iPhone?? angry

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#87998 - 08/05/10 01:39 PM Re: SPAIN Android Phone Apps? [Re: MadridMan]
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

UPDATE: Just downloaded and installed a FREE Madrid Metro Application (& Barcelona and all major cities with metro) for my Windows Mobile SmartPhone at http://nanika.net/Metro/ . It's not pretty, is basic and textual (Madrid metro info from 2009 but latest update to program was a few months ago), but comes in a variety of languages and seems to be pretty easy to use. I downloaded, installed, and was using it successfully all in about 10 minutes from beginning to end.

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#87999 - 08/05/10 09:13 PM Re: SPAIN Android Phone Apps? [Re: MadridMan]
La Sorpresa Offline

As far as I know all android phones get their apps from the "Droid Market" which is already on ones phone. There is no website that I know of to browse for them like you can for an iPhone, which is why I am having so much trouble searching for Spain related things.

Most of what I am finding are Spanish/English translators (wich I desperately need if you have ever heard me speak spanish!) but I am looking for more 'fun' stuff. Locals guides, etc.

The Madrid Metro App from droid is really fast, easy to use and you can switch from the schematic (like the little card you can carry in your pocket,) and a map. It even gives info on how much the fare is, how to insert your card in the machine, and how to purchase a ticket!

The one I have is madrid only, and is produced by a private company, i think, and not 'official' from the Madrid Metro.

Edited by sparkalina (08/05/10 09:15 PM)

#88000 - 08/06/10 05:48 AM Re: SPAIN Android Phone Apps? [Re: La Sorpresa]
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Okay. Well, I know MP3 walking guides exist for free for most cities. Have you found these yet? They're not "apps", that's true, but could make your experience a little nicer with a little at-hand information about what you're seeing at the moment (assuming you know what the building/park/plaza is called, that is).

Saludos, MadridMan

#88001 - 08/06/10 06:23 AM Re: SPAIN Android Phone Apps? [Re: MadridMan]
La Sorpresa Offline

That is a great idea! I will search for that. Combined with GPS I will learn a lot on this upcoming trip!

#88005 - 08/06/10 04:43 PM Re: SPAIN Android Phone Apps? [Re: La Sorpresa]
Rodolfo Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Stockton,Ca.
I've got this one on my iPod. You can plot your route from staion to station. Very neat.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/metro-madrid/id292665921?mt=8

#88006 - 08/06/10 07:43 PM Re: SPAIN Android Phone Apps? [Re: Rodolfo]
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

That particular "app" only works on the i*-thingies - which excludes me.

#88058 - 08/16/10 06:42 AM Re: SPAIN Android Phone Apps? [Re: MadridMan]
La Sorpresa Offline

I found another app for Madrid - It is called Madrid Travel by Triposo. It shows the locations and a brief description of most of the museums, parks, etc. I would be cautious about the validity of the info, though. It said entrance to the Prado is free, and last I checked it was about 8 euros.

#88060 - 08/16/10 12:05 PM Re: SPAIN Android Phone Apps? [Re: La Sorpresa]
esperanza Offline
Executive Member

Loc: New York City
MadridMan, this is what Marisa and I were talking to you about a couple of weeks ago. We think that you should look into developing an app for the iphone and for the droid phones! I think it is the wave of the future! MadridMan app...sounds fabulous! smile

#88061 - 08/16/10 05:36 PM Re: SPAIN Android Phone Apps? [Re: esperanza]
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

sparkalina, the Prado is only free on Sunday afternoons. Check their website for specifics. But expect long lines. It's not worth it, in my opinion.

esperanza, I checked with the message board software and, to date, there's no "app" for mobile users. Version 8 is coming out soon so maybe it will include that when I upgrade. Sorry, but I don't write the software - nor would I know where to start to create an "app".

Saludos, MadridMan

#88063 - 08/17/10 12:13 AM Re: SPAIN Android Phone Apps? [Re: MadridMan]
laduque Offline
Executive Member

Loc: San Diego, CA, USA
Esperanza, that is a great idea, to be connected to MM 24/7!
I just got a Droid X and I will be receiving it. I was promised that the apps and wifi will work in Spain next summer!!!!
I can't wait to play with my new phone! Wanted the iphone, but i'm with another carrier.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
dona_quijote
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1782 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments