Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#87965 - 08/01/10 06:38 AM Is using a car GPS lawful or not?
Eli99 Offline

Loc: Israel
What is this nonsense which I have just stumbled upon:

Trafico, Circulacion de Vehiculos a Motor y Seguridad Vial (Congreso de los Disputados, Spain, 4/2/2009)

Is there a way to use a GPS while driving in Spain, or not?

#87966 - 08/01/10 06:52 AM Re: Is using a car GPS lawful or not? [Re: Eli99]
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
I'm not familiar with the rule/law you reference above (have a link?) but I can tell you that A LOT of vehicles in Spain have GPS units onboard. It's absolutely necessary, in fact, for many people, delivery personnel, and those looking for addresses in the maze of streets of cities and towns. I use mine from time to time to find restaurants, mainly. More and more modern cars have GPS built-in so I can't imagine they're making these new cars illegally, incorporating GPS.

I can see making it UNLAWFUL to operate (that is, to key-in information/destinations) WHILE driving, just as it is unlawful to use a cell-phone while driving. Is it also, therefor, unlawful to have your co-pilot shout out directions while (s)he looks at a fold-out map? Of course not.

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#87968 - 08/01/10 07:22 AM Re: Is using a car GPS lawful or not? [Re: MadridMan]
Eli99 Offline

Loc: Israel
Here is the link:
http://www.thenewspaper.com/news/28/2809.asp

I realize that not everything one reads on the Internet is the word of god, but the article still looks reliable...

#87974 - 08/02/10 09:24 AM Re: Is using a car GPS lawful or not? [Re: Eli99]
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Here's the entire article from 16 June 2009:

Quote:
Spain Cracks Down on Use of GPS Navigation Devices
Spain to outlaw use of GPS navigation devices while driving.

Spain's Congress of Deputies last Wednesday gave approval to a measure that makes it a crime to use a GPS device while behind the wheel. The provision appeared as part of a broader measure designed to update the traffic code with measures that encourage motorists to pay fines without challenge.

Radar detectors are already illegal in Spain, but because satellite navigation devices come as factory options on most modern vehicles, officials could not easily outlaw their ownership. Instead, government ministers proposed to restrict GPS use since the devices are increasingly being loaded with maps that warn motorists of locations where speed cameras are in use.

"Driving using helmets, headsets or other devices that reduce the emphasis on driving or manually using mobile phones, navigation devices or any other communication system," earns three points and a 200 euro (US $275) fine, according to the legislation.

On the table of offenses, using a GPS is now more serious than driving 30 MPH over the speed limit which merits just two points. To encourage prompt payment of speeding tickets, the legislation also removes points altogether for driving less than 19 MPH over the limit on a freeway. The 100 euro (US $140) fine is discounted by half as long as it is paid immediately.

The most serious punishment of all goes to anyone convicted of attempting to thwart a speed camera with a laser or radar jamming device or a radar detector. This represents more points than is awarded for driving under the influence of alcohol (DUI) and is equal to the number of points for an aggravated DUI.

"Driving vehicles with mechanical equipment or systems installed that are designed to evade traffic monitoring, or with devices that have the same intention, as well as use of radar detection systems," earns six points according to the legislation.

The Ministry of the Interior will be responsible for developing regulations to implement the legislation within six months of becoming law.

I wouldn't be surprised if they banned the active use (i.e. button-pushing) of the device while the car is in motion but banning such if the destination is already programmed seems unrealistic.

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#87977 - 08/02/10 09:50 AM Re: Is using a car GPS lawful or not? [Re: MadridMan]
steve robinson Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Hastings Old Town , England .
I´m not a driver and never have been ... But taxi drivers all over Spain use GPS .. I´ve seen it a hundred times .. so this is somewhat perplexing for me .
As to the use of cellphones : I am totally against them being used in vehicles . I watched one of my favourite programmes " Callejeros " a few days ago and the Guardia Civíl were using cars and helicopters to spot any infringement . Anybody caught had to pay una multa ( a fine ) of €300 on the spot . I really spport that policy .

#87982 - 08/02/10 02:14 PM Re: Is using a car GPS lawful or not? [Re: steve robinson]
pedmar Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Morbihan, France
yes they use not illegal, all my family in the Madrid/toledo area have cars with them on. Its similar to mobile phones, you can use with a cord or blueberry but not handling it. Same with GPS, you can programmed it and go, if need to change pull over.
Cheers

#88011 - 08/07/10 05:18 AM Re: Is using a car GPS lawful or not? [Re: pedmar]
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

I'm happily surprised to see MANY responsible people on the side of the road, parked, or otherwise stopped while using their mobile phones as well as keying-in their GPS units. Good for them. thumbsup

Saludos, MadridMan

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2681 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments