Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#86855 - 03/21/10 11:05 AM Spain Participated in the N.Y.C. St. Patrick's Day
Jim Costello Offline

Loc: New York City
On Wednesday, March 17, 2010, the Reales Tercios de Espania participated in the New York City St. Patrick's Day parade. I had the honor to march with the Spanish.

For over 50 years, either I worked the parade as a police officer, marched in the parade or was a spectator. During the last few years I saw a group of bag pipers from Asturias in the parade. This year, I wanted to try to march with the Spanish bag pipers. So on St. Patrick's Day, I put on my green tie, bright yellow shirt, gray pants, blue blazer and took my Irish passport (citizen of the USA and Ireland) and my small flag of Spain and went to the parade. I could have marched with the NYPD or several other American or Irish organizations. When I arrived at the beginning of the parade where the groups gather in preparation to march there were no bag pipers from Spain. Instead I found a group of about 60 men in a blue military type of uniform. I approached the person in charge and asked permission to march with them. He smiled, shook my hand and gave me permission to march with them. The parade committee put the Spanish group before the NYC Fire Department.

When the Reales Tercios de Espania started to march onto Fifth Avenue at 44th Street, the spectators gave us lots and lots of applause, a very warm welcome to the Spanish. As we started to march up Fifth Avenue, the New Yorkers, the Irish and those who are Irish for the day continued to the Spanish group lots of applause and were waving to us.

During the first ten blocks, I noticed the Spaniards were rigid and looking straigh ahead. Then with all the enthusiasm of the spectators, the Spanish started to relax, wave back and gave the thumbs-up sign to the people. This continued till the end of the parade at Fifth Avenue and 88th Street.

It made me proud to be a New Yorker. St. Patrick's Day is a unique holiday in New York City. Almost everyone is wearing green. I will even bet that Steve Robinson worn green on March 17th. It was a great day for the Irish, Spanish and New Yorkers. Thanks

#86857 - 03/21/10 12:28 PM Re: Spain Participated in the N.Y.C. St. Patrick's Day [Re: Jim Costello]
teachertraveler8 Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Detroit, Michigan
What a great story! Thanks for sharing!

#86864 - 03/23/10 08:27 AM Re: Spain Participated in the N.Y.C. St. Patrick's Day [Re: teachertraveler8]
steve robinson Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Hastings Old Town , England .
Man I wish I could´ve been there .. NYC does these parades so well as i´ve experienced once before .
It was thanksgiving some years ago .. Wow .. what a huge event !

#86880 - 03/24/10 09:30 AM Re: Spain Participated in the N.Y.C. St. Patrick's Day [Re: steve robinson]
pedmar Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Morbihan, France
When I used to live in NJ over the border went to several of them, always the highlight , plenty of parties after the parade ::)
Great to hear is still going strong and with the Spaniards to boot !
Thanks for sharing it JIm

#87790 - 07/10/10 11:49 AM Re: Spain Participated in the N.Y.C. St. Patrick's Day [Re: pedmar]
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
So, you must be of the Irish Costello's from Connemara (West of Galway). I used to 'march' in the parade when I went to High School (All Hallows) in New York. Last time I was there for the Parade, a '48 classmate was leading the 'Old 7th Cavalry,' (Gary Owen's). Larry Flynn was Adjutant General for the State of NY: Major General, more than a step up from his beginnings as a US Marine Corps Corporal at Frozen Chosen back in 1952.

I also carry an Irish Republic Passport; I visited there about a dozen times since I retired in 1995. My 'Pub Genealogy' turned up some cousins I didn't know I had including a 105-year old first cousin of my dear departed (RIP) Mother.

The Gaitas played in Asturias and Galicia are much simpler than Uillean Pipes, although the lead Piper for the Chieftains was Carlos Nunez from Vigo (Pontevedra, Galicia)

#87798 - 07/10/10 06:16 PM Re: Spain Participated in the N.Y.C. St. Patrick's Day [Re: Eddie]
Puna Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Charlotte, NC. U.S.A.
Eddie, Nice to see you back! I saw in one of your posts you had been ill so it's even nicer to see you back smile

#87950 - 07/28/10 08:05 AM Re: Spain Participated in the N.Y.C. St. Patrick's Day [Re: Puna]
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Originally Posted By Puna
Eddie, Nice to see you back! I saw in one of your posts you had been ill so it's even nicer to see you back smile

Thanx Puna! You might say I was at Death's door; but the Doctors got it wrong. My nephew (GodSon) calls me 'Lazarus;' I prefer 'Gato' (9-lives; 7 to-go). I keep cheating the Doctors 'rolleyes'
Jim Costello: You are undoubtedly aware that Carlos Nunez from Vigo (Pontevedra, Galicia) is/was lead bagpiper for the Chieftains (Irish folk group based out of Westport, Co. Mayo). He plays the Uillean Pipes in addition to the Gaita Gallega. There are bagpipe competitions each May in Vigo. The Gallegos consider themselves culturally linked to the Irish. Visit Monte Santa Tecla near LaGuardia and you'll understand why.
I also have dual Citizenship: U.S. and Republic of Ireland

#87951 - 07/28/10 01:26 PM Re: Spain Participated in the N.Y.C. St. Patrick's Day [Re: Eddie]
Puna Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Charlotte, NC. U.S.A.
Okay you are 'officially' to be referred to as Gato going forward smile

#87955 - 07/29/10 04:38 AM Re: Spain Participated in the N.Y.C. St. Patrick's Day [Re: Puna]
esperanza Offline
Executive Member

Loc: New York City
Hi Eddie! So happy to see you are here on the message board again. Sorry to hear you have not been well recently. I hope that you will be posting lots more. I am in Galicia right now. We went to the Castro de Viladonga (Lugo Province) a few days ago and it reminded me a lot of Santa Tecla. Being in Galicia again is heavenly. We were in Santiago for the 25th too. Lots of bagpipes! The light show on the cathedral was also very, very Galician. It was wonderful. Viva la cultura celta en Galicia!

#87959 - 07/30/10 09:26 AM Re: Spain Participated in the N.Y.C. St. Patrick's Day [Re: esperanza]
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Originally Posted By esperanza
Hi Eddie! So happy to see you are here on the message board again. ... Being in Galicia again is heavenly. We were in Santiago for the 25th too. Lots of bagpipes! The light show on the cathedral was also very, very Galician. It was wonderful. Viva la cultura celta en Galicia!

The last time I was back there for the Festivities, Sofia aand Juan Carlos were there. It was a Jubilee Year (as is 2010). The Plaza (del Obradoiro) de Espana was full and the Police kept moving the Barricades back until they had pushed me off the Plaza. Security was tight! There was no way to get into the Cathedral. So I watched a group of Tuna Universitaria a while, almost got my pocket picked, and went back to my Hotel, to watch the fireworks on TV Galicia.

A friend (retired Phila. Firefighter) named Roberto Ramos was trying to get me to go to Lugo where he had relatives. Unfortunately, I believe he passed away. Have a great time there in Galicia!!

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1600 Guests and 9 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments