Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#87973 - 08/02/10 04:54 AM Re: Thoughts on Banning Bullfights? [Re: steve robinson]
steve robinson Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Hastings Old Town , England .
So it looks like the backlash has started with pro-bullfight people out on the streets of Barcelona . A group of highly esteemed toreros will be meeting with the culture minister . The opposing political party the PP has been vocal about their unhappiness at what happened at El Parlament in Barcelona .
Zapatero is still insistent that it´s a decision for the individual regions .....
Try and ban it in Madrid ! They´ll be hell on the streets if that happens !
I also think Zapatero is wrong . Bullfighting has been part of the culture of SPAIN for centuries . Banning such an important aspect of this country´s culture should not be taken lightly . A referendum would be the best idea I guess .
Imagine if the government said they were banning art in El Prado because it contained nudity and was therefore morally wrong . Or if they suggested that , due to European strict health laws , they were banning Jamón . Maybe banning gay bars in Chueca because the Vatican dissaproves . etc...
Some of these issues are of such great importance to Spain culturally , such as the bullfight , and maybe the vote should be put to the people and not the politicians .

#87981 - 08/02/10 02:08 PM Re: Thoughts on Banning Bullfights? [Re: steve robinson]
pedmar Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Morbihan, France
ZP is wrong on many things Steve, unfortunately he is still around for a while.
Catalunia became the second region to opposed after the Canary Islands.
Actually the reading is unconstitutional as bullfights is part of the culture ministry designated national treasure, and the regions cannot overrule it. Its a messy issue, will see more in the coming months. Every bullfight ring in Spain has proclamation in its defense as I see many spanish Tv channels from different regions.
The sad part is that it has to be politized, and for that Catalunia is the champion.

#87983 - 08/02/10 06:58 PM Re: Thoughts on Banning Bullfights? [Re: pedmar]
steve robinson Offline
Executive Member

Pedmar .. That´s a very interesting point that you bring up . That the bullfight is a designated national treasure . I´m going to look into that a bit more . Seems people have ignored this fact .

#87986 - 08/03/10 04:31 AM Re: Thoughts on Banning Bullfights? [Re: steve robinson]
pedmar Offline
Executive Member

yes STeve, it was all over the papers, I read it in El Mundo.and on the Spanish TV program in TeleMadrid ,Claro something that has a round table of five persons led by a woman journalist.

Like I said it will be lot of debating from now until 2012.

#87992 - 08/04/10 03:23 AM Re: Thoughts on Banning Bullfights? [Re: pedmar]
eskimo joe Offline

Loc: st cyrus , scotland
a couple of good articles in English by Alexander Fiske-Harrison and Robert Elms

#87994 - 08/04/10 07:37 AM Re: Thoughts on Banning Bullfights? [Re: eskimo joe]
Puna Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Charlotte, NC. U.S.A.
Excellent articles especially Fisle-Harrison's comments on land usage and conversion should bull fighting, hence bull raising, disappear in Catalonia. Certainly puts a viable second financial & political aspect to the recent vote.

What a shame some people can't see they are being manipulated for purposes they might not approve of!!!!

Thanks for researching, sharing and sharing, Eskimo Joe.

#87995 - 08/05/10 06:38 AM Re: Thoughts on Banning Bullfights? [Re: Puna]
pedmar Offline
Executive Member

indeed good articles eskimo joe.
In Catalunia they are doing similar things with the cule stadium, changing the real estate zoning laws for profit.

and yes Puna, many people there still dont see the light, unfortunately all is tainted in politics,and in Spain that is daily life bread and butter.

#88065 - 08/19/10 12:04 PM Re: Thoughts on Banning Bullfights? [Re: steve robinson]
steve robinson Offline
Executive Member

Did anyone see the footage of a bull leaping over the barriers into the crowd in Northern Spain . Wow !!! Complete panic and quite a few injured , including a 10 year old boy . It was in the town of Tafalla in the autonomous region of Navarra .

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-11020599

#88066 - 08/19/10 01:07 PM Re: Thoughts on Banning Bullfights? [Re: steve robinson]
Puna Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Charlotte, NC. U.S.A.
Steve, it was all over the networks morning news in the US. Reporters were in awe of the entire scene - especially the chap that grabbed the bull's tail smile

Edited by Puna (08/19/10 01:11 PM)

#88067 - 08/19/10 01:41 PM Re: Thoughts on Banning Bullfights? [Re: Puna]
steve robinson Offline
Executive Member

Puna ... the crazy thing is , i´ve been catching up on the news since arriving from Barcelona a few hours ago . The Spanish national news is not reporting it ... I don´t know why . I watched it on BBC news !
I might add that the Spanish Royal family were taking their vacation at the summer palace in Palma de Mallorca . The Infanta ( princess ) Elena made a point of attending the bullfight on the island . The king has also made comments in support of the bullfight . This debate will go on and on .

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
dona_quijote
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1742 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments