Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#87893 - 07/17/10 09:57 AM Spain's Soccer Player Fernando Torres
Jim Costello Offline

Loc: New York City
Two years ago my wife and I were on a holiday in Paris and on the flight from Paris to Madrid we meet Oscar Gonzalez who was returning from the USA to his home in Madrid. Oscar was on a soccer scholarship at the New York Institute of Technology. I graduated from that school about 40 years ago hehehe. We maintain a friendship and would often go to watch his soccer games.

Oscar played with Fernando Torres went they were younger.
HBO did a story on Fernando and Oscar was interviewed for it.
You will see Oscar in the video. The story is in Spanish maybe MM can get it translated. I don't much about computers. Thanks

http://www.megavideo.com/?v=A1YZAW24

#87895 - 07/17/10 02:47 PM Re: Spain's Soccer Player Fernando Torres [Re: Jim Costello]
steve robinson Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Hastings Old Town , England .
Great video Jim !! My nieces are head over heals in love with him and learning Spanish over in Moscow so i´ll send it on .

#87896 - 07/17/10 03:12 PM Re: Spain's Soccer Player Fernando Torres [Re: steve robinson]
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Torres is from Orcasitas?! How funny. (that's a village of the Comunidad de Madrid - and has its own reputation, I'll let you wonder about that).

Torres, as commented by nearly everyone in the soccer world, was absent during the World Cup - even on the field/pitch.

Sorry, Jim, I can't translate the 10 minute video. If it was made for HBO, maybe you can find a version with subtitles on YouTube or elsewhere. Maybe even on HBO.com itself.

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#87927 - 07/24/10 09:41 PM Re: Spain's Soccer Player Fernando Torres [Re: MadridMan]
Jim Costello Offline

Loc: New York City
MadridMan- I don't know anything about Orcasitas. A woman that I see in Starbuck in my town comes from Madrid and now works in NY as a college professor is on a holiday in Madrid. When she returns in late August I will ask her discreetly about Orcasitas since she may come from that part of Madrid. I certainly don't want to hurt anybody's feeling to get information on Orcasitas.

I recall Fernando Torres had knee surgery and may have not been able to play at his peak during the World Cup. You wrote,"Torres, as commented by nearly everyone in the soccer world, was absent during the World Cup - even on the field/pitch."

My question would be if Ferrando wasn't playing at his peak why did the Vincente del Bosque pull David Villa and substitute Torres.

Think about this, what if the Netherlands in the second overtime scored the goal would the mob hang Mr. del Bosque at Plaza Mayor for yanking his top scorer, David Villa when his team needed a goal in the biggest game in Spain's history. The coach must have had faith in Fernand Torres to play him in the final game of the World Cup.

#87929 - 07/25/10 09:21 AM Re: Spain's Soccer Player Fernando Torres [Re: Jim Costello]
Puna Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Charlotte, NC. U.S.A.
MM said:
"If it was made for HBO, maybe you can find a version with subtitles on YouTube or elsewhere. Maybe even on HBO.com itself."

Jim, odds are HBO does have a subtitled (or translated & synced) version of the interview and would be more than willing to either link you to it or supply a transcript. Pull up HBO's website and, if you can't locate it, contact them via the site and request whatever is available.

#89045 - 02/01/11 06:12 AM Re: Spain's Soccer Player Fernando Torres [Re: Puna]
billy the man Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Bolton England
Fernando Torres the Spanish world cup winner has just been transfered from (his i love Liverpool forever) football club to Chelsea for a british record of £50 million after just signing a new contract, he then hands in a transfer request just before the deadline, i dont realy blame him for the move, due to the fact he will win more trophys at Chelsea (which is the reason he left Atletico Madrid for Liverpool) but the reported £175,000 per week will soften the blow of leaving his beloved Liverpool

#89046 - 02/01/11 06:38 AM Re: Spain's Soccer Player Fernando Torres [Re: billy the man]
pedmar Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Morbihan, France
Well he is in Chelsea indeed, and LIverpool is burning his shirt for leaving.....ahhhhahhh NOt only will he might win more trophies he is the best paid Spanish player now!! Lol!!! Thats what they all seek anyway, more tapas in London ::)

Never heard of Orcasitas, but always knew he was from Fuenlabrada,Comunidad de Madrid.But maybe the first was too small for him to tell earlier ::)

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
dona_quijote
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1742 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments