Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#87588 - 06/12/10 02:22 PM Roman Ruins, Mérida
admiral44 Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Philadelphia, Aruba DWI
One of my must-see sights for this recent visit to spain was the Roman Ruins at Mérida. I was impressed. We arrived close to mid-day and first enjoyed a menu del dia lunch at a place deeper in the town itself. Then wandered the ruins for the remainder of the afternoon. The amphitheater is more deteriorated than the theater but both are grand in scale and style. Then there are the temples, bridges, and a villa. In the villa, you find yourself walking on the mosaics which is a bit startling. Wouldn't permit that if it was my relic. Anyway, here's a video that gives an overview of what I saw.

#87589 - 06/12/10 02:59 PM Re: Roman Ruins, Mérida [Re: admiral44]
Pete Woodman Offline

Loc: Isle of Man
The Museum at Merida is magnificent too - well worth a visit.

#87590 - 06/12/10 06:46 PM Re: Roman Ruins, Mérida [Re: Pete Woodman]
laduque Offline
Executive Member

Loc: San Diego, CA, USA
Thank you for posting 44~! We are planning a day trip there this summer and am interested to compare it to the Temple of Diana in Evora Portugal (Alentejo).

#87593 - 06/13/10 09:08 AM Re: Roman Ruins, Mérida [Re: laduque]
esperanza Offline
Executive Member

Loc: New York City
thank you so much for posting this video (and the others). It makes me want to go to Mérida, a place I have not visited. As a matter of fact, I am embarrassed to say that I have never been to Extremadura! How far is it from Madrid to Mérida? Laduque, you are planning a day trip from Madrid? Is that possible?

#87594 - 06/13/10 10:10 AM Re: Roman Ruins, Mérida [Re: esperanza]
gazpacho Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Macomb, MI U.S.
I've made a trip to Badajoz on one visit. If I remember, I had to catch a train around seven in the morning and arrived in Badajoz around 1 p.m. I passed Merida and saw the remains of an aqueduct. I stayed overnight in Badajoz, and briefly made a trip to Portugal by taxi the next day. Well worth the visit.

#87597 - 06/14/10 01:45 AM Re: Roman Ruins, Mérida [Re: gazpacho]
laduque Offline
Executive Member

Loc: San Diego, CA, USA
I will be visiting family in Extremadura the 3rd week of July. we will be in Valle del Jerte and have a car to travel around and then off to easter Portugal for 3 days. I can't wait to explore Extremadura!@

#87598 - 06/14/10 03:56 AM Re: Roman Ruins, Mérida [Re: laduque]
pedmar Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Morbihan, France
great souvenir, thanks for posting these videos.

#87643 - 06/22/10 04:50 AM Re: Roman Ruins, Mérida [Re: pedmar]
blueterrier Offline

Did you go down to the Roman Circus just slightly out of town, this was where they held the chariot races, very impressive track and the terracing is still clearly visible, close youe eyes and its Ben hur all over again

#87652 - 06/25/10 08:53 AM Re: Roman Ruins, Mérida [Re: blueterrier]
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
I too have enjoyed a day-visit to Mérida. The area of the ruins is great but the city itself is not interesting at all. The ancient photos of the reconstruction of the ruins is fascinating, how they rebuilt the structures, etcetera. HOW DID THEY KNOW HOW TO DO IT? The museum is good too. Didn't have time to visit - or didn't know about - the Roman Circus out of town. Ruin of the aqueduct is pretty cool too.

The site, if I remember correctly, is similar to that of Granada's Alhambra in that it's an enclosed park, you pay admission and there are lots of tourists but worth the visit.

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1600 Guests and 9 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments