Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 9 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Topic Options
#87853 - 07/13/10 11:16 PM Re: Spain to Win World Cup - sez the BBC poll [Re: Martin2]
la historiadora Offline
Executive Member

¡Felicidades a la selección española! Congrats to the Spanish team! I celebrated with other Spain-loving friends at our local Spanish restaurant (which was PACKED with Spaniards and non-Spaniards alike) on Sunday, and it's been great to see all the television coverage online since then. I loved being able to watch a bit of the reception the players received upon arriving in Madrid. Hope all of you in Spain are enjoying this historic occasion -- as well as everyone who isn't in Spain but cheered on the team from their own home countries. smile

#87858 - 07/14/10 10:11 PM Re: Spain to Win World Cup - sez the BBC poll [Re: Puna]
Jim Costello Offline

Loc: New York City
"Spain Rules the World" are the words on the back page (sports section) of a newspaper in New York City on Monday, July 12 edition.
July 11 was a great day for the 46 million Spaniards and those who wish they were Spanish on that famous day.
I would like to suggest that members of the MadridMan site share their experiences on that historic day especially those outside Spain. Did any members gather in the streets of Madrid to watch the game near Plaza de Cibeles or any other place in Spain. Please tell us what it was like.

When the USA lost to Ghana, I placed a flag of Spain (12x18 inches)on the front door of my home. Since the USA was no longer in the World Cup I began to cheer for Spain.
On Sunday morning, day of the World Cup final, I hung a large flag of Spain on the flag pole in front of my house. My wife and I then rode the train to Pennsylvania station in NYC. We were invited to watch the game at the Instituto Cervantes near the United Nations. While walking in Times Square we saw people with the flag of Spain draped over their bodies, some holding small flags of Spain and others wearing the team shirts. There was excitement for the World Cup game. Some Dutch fans were carrying the flag of Netherlands and wearing the team shirts. At the Instituto Cervantes about 200 people in the auditorium. We all stood-up for the national anthem of Spain. My wife and I enjoyed watching the game and being part of the group. After the game we had wine in the courtyard of the Instituto, the people were singing and exchanging hugs. When we walked onto the street cars were honking their horns.

We then took the subway (Metro) to our favorite restaurant in NYC, Cafe Espanol located on Bleecker Street in Greenwich Village. The owners and some of the servers are from Galicia.
The decor of the restaurant is like a cafe in Spain. On the subway we saw a lot of people with the flag of Spain and team shirts. They were probably like us going to a party. Cafe Espanol was crowded with Spaniards and those like us who were Spanish for the day. The customers in the restaruant keep singing Ole and we had a good time. When leaving the restaurant around 9:00 pm/ 2100 the customers were quite. My wife took her flag of Spain, walked around the restaurant and again everybody was cheering and singing.

The Empire State building on Sunday night was lit-up at the top with Red and Yellow in honor of Spain winning the World Cup.

I have a question, were more Spaniards in churches on July 11 then previous Sundays. I read in a newspaper in NY that Spain also won the FIFA Fair Play award for their clean play in all the games. The better team took control of the World Cup.

Thank you and please tell us how you spend July 11. Please don't be shy.

#87859 - 07/15/10 05:34 AM Re: Spain to Win World Cup - sez the BBC poll [Re: Jim Costello]
pedmar Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Morbihan, France
good idea Jim.

well I am not in Spain, so decided to go to my favorite sports bar in Paris, then ,some my family decided to do it at home, amongst us, and we were with some Spanish families from the area.

we took out the chorizos, omelettes, and ibericos with good amontillado HIdalgo, wine from Castille, Community of Madrid. And jump and yell, and scream our hearts content each we were viciously tackled until the Iniesta forever....score that brilliant goal.

we stay chanting and singing old Spanish songs, and celebratings switching channels on satellite to see all the autonomous communities of Spain and their celebration.

its about time, former player benjamin of Real Madrid and play the sport to pros rank in the USA, former Referee license C USSF in Florida doing College games, and seeing my beloved Spain never comes close. THis one and the European are heavens, now we are with the big leagues boys, now WE ARE WORLD CHAMPIONS.

Its a great feeling all around, and I for one, is bragging about all over the Paris region ::) Spain is the word!!!!!!!!!

Aupa España!!

#87860 - 07/15/10 10:48 AM Re: Spain to Win World Cup - sez the BBC poll [Re: pedmar]
steve robinson Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Hastings Old Town , England .
Jimmmmmmmmmm I know that restaurant !!!!!!! I mean I didn´t go there but my hired appartment was on Bleeker Street ... We went to some amazing restaurants in NYC but never managed that one . I need to go that city again !
I´ve been treated to some amazing meals in my corporate role .. Sparks steakhouse and Docks on 3rd stand out as well as the beautiful Waldorf Astoria Hotel ... but for me ... with a friend , the best was the Bridge Café on Water Street .... That was awesome !
As for the football celebrations , I sat and watched it from home with a couple of friends . Many of my friends attended the parade and their photos on Facebook are very cool!

#87862 - 07/15/10 01:50 PM Re: Spain to Win World Cup - sez the BBC poll [Re: steve robinson]
eskimo joe Offline

Loc: st cyrus , scotland
This is video is of the dutch cycling team Rabobank, watching the final with one Spanish team member Oscar Friere

#87870 - 07/15/10 05:01 PM Re: Spain to Win World Cup - sez the BBC poll [Re: eskimo joe]
Martin2 Offline

Loc: Alcala
Celebration at Puente del Rey Madrid.

Edited by MadridMan (07/15/10 06:17 PM)
Edit Reason: to embed YouTube video - you can do this yourself, actually.

#87878 - 07/16/10 09:07 AM Re: Spain to Win World Cup - sez the BBC poll [Re: Martin2]
pedmar Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Morbihan, France
yes yes saw it on TVE, great concert. Love it !!!!!!!!!!

#87880 - 07/16/10 10:58 AM Re: Spain to Win World Cup - sez the BBC poll [Re: pedmar]
jacmom Offline

Loc: utah transplant
We watched the game at home with several couples attending, including one woman from Sevilla. i was able to find and purchase several small Spanish flags to decorate the front door. Food included a nod to Spain with pa amb tomaquet, and some jamon (that i apparantly brought back illegally!) and some cheese from San Sebastian (not illegal to bring back!).

It was filled with a lot of groans at the close but missed goals from Spain, and cheers when the yellow cards were given to such obvious fouls to the Netherlands. Screams with Iniesta's goal, but still carefully watching to make sure it was counted!

What a great win! We all were overjoyed! Julie called a few minutes later and was so excited also (and she does not follow sports at all).

It would have been great to hear the celebrations in all of Spain!

Page 9 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
dona_quijote
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1782 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments