Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#87515 - 06/03/10 05:10 AM Where am I ??
Jim Costello Offline

Loc: New York City
I could be walking on the Gran Via and Puerto Del Sol or 42nd Street and Times Square. Your guess.

I see Starbucks, McDonalds, Burger King, a brown UPS truck and the driver has the same color uniform, Dinkin' Coffee/Donuts, Pizza Hut, Fridays Restaurant, Some people are drinking Coca Cola, Pepsi Cola and Red Bull. The cigarette vending machine has Marlboro, Lucky Strike, Camels, L&M, Winston, Chesterfields.

I also see graffiti, lots and lots of cars and pedestrians, subways and Metros, and Irish Pubs. Young men and women dressing very similar.

So where am I?

#87518 - 06/03/10 11:19 AM Re: Where am I ?? [Re: Jim Costello]
billy the man Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Bolton England
Blackpool?

Edited by billy the man (06/03/10 11:21 AM)

#87519 - 06/03/10 02:39 PM Re: Where am I ?? [Re: billy the man]
steve robinson Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Hastings Old Town , England .
Jim , I hate this ... the Irish bars at least try to integrate a bit with Spanish lifestyle . However .. McDonalds , Burger King , Starbucks etc are horrible establishments !!!!

#87520 - 06/03/10 04:58 PM Re: Where am I ?? [Re: steve robinson]
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
And don't forget Hard Rock Cafe and movie theater and bus-stop signs advertising the latest Hollywood movies. Turn on your TV and you have The Simpsons, CSI-whatever, 90210: The Next Generation, House, BONES, and almost any other American-made show on normal, public television - not to mention on Canal+ satellite.

That's why when people ask me, "Do you miss anything about USA?", my answer is always the same: "What's there to miss?? I barely realize I'm NOT in the USA if it wasn't for the food, wine, terrazas, and Spanish spoken."

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#87521 - 06/03/10 06:35 PM Re: Where am I ?? [Re: MadridMan]
esperanza Offline
Executive Member

Loc: New York City
thank God for the terrazas, pimientos de padrón!, the Spanish accent (not South or Central American--not that there is anything wrong with that!:) the paseo, the café (torrefacto), the beautiful arquitecture, my friends and familiy, and the cafes (like Café Comercial), professional waiters, the tinto de verano, the delicious menú de la casa...
seeing America in Spain is distressing, so I search out the above things (and I know there are more things I am not mentioning right now) to make me feel like I am in Spain. 27 days til I am there again!!

#87789 - 07/10/10 11:17 AM Re: Where am I ?? [Re: Jim Costello]
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
Originally Posted By Jim Costello
I could be walking on the Gran Via and Puerto Del Sol or 42nd Street and Times Square. Your guess.

The Gran Via doesn't traverse the Puerta del Sol as does West 42nd Street & Times Square in NYC.
My Guess, strongly influenced by the fact that this is a Spain message board, would be that you are in Barcelona. But you didn't mention KFC: there's a KFC at Antonio Gaudi's Sagrada Familia.rolleyes
Quote:
... I see lots and lots of cars and pedestrians, subways and Metros, and Irish Pubs. Young men and women dressing very similar.

So, maybe you're in Lisbon, Portugal ...grin

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments