Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#87462 - 05/26/10 02:48 AM PAIS VASCO ITINERARY HELP NEEDED!
camelia2 Offline

Hello, I’m from Italy and planning my trip to Cantabria and Pais Vasco next August, with my partner. It’ll be our first time in Spain. We are both 40, not interested in beach holiday but in visiting rural areas off the beaten track. I would appreciate any advice anyone has on this:

Fly to Santander and hire a car.
DAY 1:
Puente Viesgo with Cueva del Castillo:
jardines de la Finca in Puente de San Miguel
SANTILLANA DEL MAR
Night in Torrelavega
DAY 2:
PLAJA Y ERMITA DE SANTA JUSTA in Tagle
Suances
Playa de Valdearenas, Playa del Portìo and Playa de Arnìa
night in Torrelavega
DAY 3:
Santa Maria de Valverde church
campo de Ebro
San Martin de Elines
PRESILLAS DE BRICIA
ORBANEJA DEL CASTILLO
Night near Orbaneja del Castillo
DAY 4:
CUEVAS Y ERMITA DE SAN BARTOLOME’ DE OJO GUARENA
Puentedey
PESQUERA DE EBRO canyon
Night near Orbaneja del Castillo
DAY 5:
DOLMEN EL MORECO in Huidobro and IGLESIA ROMANICA
POZA DE LA SAL with CASTILLO DE LOS ROJAS
Night in Burgos
DAY 6:
BURGOS Cathedral
Night in Burgos
DAY 7
FRIAS with the fortified medieval bridge and castle
SOBRON on the river Ebro
Torre de los Varona in Villanane
Night in Villanane
DAY 8:
SALINAS DE ANANA
Santa Catalina's Botanical Garden in Trespuentes
DELIKA - Mirador cañón del Nervión
Night in Villanane
DAY 9:
BILBAO MUSEO GUGGENHEIM
Night in Mutriku
DAY 10:
MUTRIKU
ZUMAIA
Pasai Donibane
Night in Mutriku
DAY 11:
ELANTXOBE ,
San Juan de Gastelugatxe
CASTILLO DE BUTRON
Night near Butron
DAY 12:
Castro Urdiales
Santoña and Noja,
plaja de GALIZANO, plaja de LANGRE
night in Santander
DAY 13
SANTANDER airport

What do you reckon? Is this a realistic plan? Any recommended changes? Will we be too busy? We don’t want to rush on our feet….
Thanks in advance for any information or suggestions you can offer.

#87463 - 05/26/10 03:58 AM Re: PAIS VASCO ITINERARY HELP NEEDED! [Re: camelia2]
steve robinson Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Hastings Old Town , England .
It certainly looks a busy schedule to me but I´m probably saying that as a non driver . I´ve been to País Vasco 3 times .. always with friends driving from Madrid . We always leave one day free to relax BUT we do get to see a lot .
Other places you should consider visiting is Donostia-San Sebastián .. I would love to live there one day ! And the spectacular island monastery of San Juan de Gaztelugatxe . The monastery itself is a tiny brick building .. nothing special ..but to go there you have to walk up many steps over the sea and up to the top of the rock . Absolutely stunning !
I´ve never been to Guernica .. but if you´re interested in history then it would be a good choice .. I´m embarrased that I haven´t been there !
In Bilbao : I like modern art upto a point but found the art in the Guggenheim a bit too contemporary ! However the building is magnificent .. really takes your breath away . Inside is a café and a restaurant ... The restaurant is considered one of the best in Spain . It cost me €120 just for one person ! The food and wine and service were all excellent .
The Estación de Abando is worth a quick visit for it´s amazing stained glass window depicting Basque life . Nearby is the wonderful Café Iruña .. great for breakfast .. but also open for lunch and dinner . A real classic !
Finally please try and go to Portugalete .. a suburb of Bilbao ( you can go by metro ) and take a ride on the truly amazing Puente Vizcaya www.puente-colgante.com across the water . This area , as well as Getxo is a wealthy area of Bilbao .. There are some great places to eat Pintxos outside or just take a walk by the water .Last time I went with a Basque friend and we went to Portugalete in the evening ... Very beautiful ! I would say that was my most perfect moment in País Vasco . Just walking by the water , drinking Basque white wine and eating wonderful Pintxos on a hot evening !

#87483 - 05/29/10 11:01 AM Re: PAIS VASCO ITINERARY HELP NEEDED! [Re: steve robinson]
pedmar Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Morbihan, France
ahh this lineup looks familiar to me like from another travel site ??? I already answer it. It looks ok, I am a road warrior;Burgos and Zumaia are great as well as Bilbao casco viejo old town.
Cheers

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments