Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#86758 - 03/09/10 12:17 PM Using Priceline for flights from USA to Madrid?
jacmom Offline

Loc: utah transplant
Has anyone used Priceline (Name Your Own Price)for a flight to Madrid from the western USA? I have used them a few times for hotels in the states but never for a flight let alone such a long one. Kind of worried (really worried) that I may end up on a sketchy airline or that it may take more than a 24 hours to get there. Any help is appreciated. I hope to buy today or tomorrow for flights may 10-18th. Thanks

Edited by MadridMan (03/09/10 02:35 PM)
Edit Reason: to clarify the topic's subject line

#86762 - 03/09/10 02:39 PM Re: Using Priceline for flights from USA to Madrid? [Re: jacmom]
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
I don't think there are too many (or any) "sketchy" airlines going transAtlantic. There were a few "sketchy" ones flying from Madrid but they've ceased to exist.

Hope you get an incredible price! And if you do, would you mind telling us how much you spent? I know that's a bit intimate, but to show how good/bad your experience with Priceline was. Thanks!

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#86763 - 03/09/10 03:34 PM Re: Using Priceline for flights from USA to Madrid? [Re: MadridMan]
jacmom Offline

I don't mind letting people know the price I end up with from Priceline. I was kind of concerned about airlines, if Priceline takes me to say Germany, first, and then to Spain. Maybe I should not have used the word sketchy, but except for big name European airlines, I don't know other reputations. Not trying to be insulting to any other airline, just lack of knowledge on my part.

#86766 - 03/09/10 11:03 PM Re: Using Priceline for flights from USA to Madrid? [Re: jacmom]
la historiadora Offline
Executive Member

jacmom,
I've never used Priceline for booking airline flights; I've heard mixed reviews from various people so I'm reluctant to try it. (I have used it for hotels in the U.S., though, and it's been fine) If I book online, I usually book directly through the airline's website or Expedia.com

I recently read an article in the New York Times about several websites that search many, many different airlines for the best prices on flights. You can't book through these sites, but they show you days when it's better to fly, etc. You can read the article from February 21, 2010 here.

Since I read the article, I have been watching fares to Madrid on Kayak.com with the hopes I can make a trip over there this year. It shows you how long the trip would be with the layover, etc.

As for the European airlines, as MadridMan wrote, there really aren't any sketchy ones that you would have to worry about. In fact, coming from the US, you would most likely fly on a US-based airline. Since you're coming from the West, I'm not sure that you would be able to have a direct flight. So, you'd probably pass through one of the following: Dallas (American Airlines), Chicago (American Airlines), Atlanta (Delta Airlines), Philadelphia (US Airways), Washington Dulles (United Airlines), etc. Many of these airlines have partnerships with European airlines.

For example, with American Airlines you might fly on Iberia Airlines or British Airways for one leg of the trip; with Delta Airlines it could be Air France or Alitalia or KLM Royal Dutch Airlines; and with United Airlines it could be a flight on Aer Lingus or Lufthansa. In these cases your layover might be in London, Frankfurt, etc. Many of the European airlines are nicer than the US airlines; I've flown on all of the airlines I just named and they were all very pleasant.

Good luck!

#86770 - 03/10/10 09:33 AM Re: Using Priceline for flights from USA to Madrid? [Re: la historiadora]
jacmom Offline

Thanks, la historiadora. I use Kayak all the time for domestic flights for comparisons and also check with Southwest and some of the others that are not part of Kayak (what a big help they are!) We have been arranging flights back and forth for my daughter now for 2 years on US Airways, as we have found it the least expensive for us ( or at least within $50.00) and to build up points. Right now the prices are the highest we have seen in those 2 years which is what has led me to Priceline.

Priceline says that they try to do international flights with no more than one transfer (no mention of how many stops), that their averarge length of layover is 3 hours, but it could be as little as 2 hours but as much as 6. But, I guess, I could have a 2 hour layover(good) but have to change airports in the 2 hour time span (very bad).

If I have a layover in another country, do I have to go through their customs just to get to another plane to take me to Spain.

Can everyone tell I'm not an international traveler! haha

Anyway, I need to get to work soon, so I will not make the reservations until Thursday, so if anyone has more info on doing this thru Priceline, please chime in.

Thanks again, La Historiadora and MM! Love reading all the threads and learning about the country that my daughter loves so much.

PS- I am going to try and call Priceline and see if I can get answers to a few of the questions, but I have a feeling that they will be very well scripted and I may not find out much.

#86773 - 03/10/10 08:43 PM Re: Using Priceline for flights from USA to Madrid? [Re: jacmom]
la historiadora Offline
Executive Member

Yes, I can sympathize with you, jacmom, about the ticket prices. I was really hoping to travel to Spain this year, but the tickets seem to be really expensive. I know that Spain is launching a new tourism campaign to attract visitors, but it's hard to get over there when flights cost so much!

Regarding customs on the way to Europe, no, you will not have to go through customs before going to Spain (unless it has changed recently and I'm not aware of it). For example, if you fly through London, you will most likely have to go through security again with your carry-on, but you will not have to get your checked luggage until you get to Spain.

This could happen in the US, too. I flew through Boston on my way to Spain several years ago. I had to get on a shuttle bus from one terminal to another and go through security before going to the gate for my flight to Spain. I didn't have to retrieve my checked bag until I go to Spain, though.

However, be aware that it's different on the way back to the United States. For example, if you fly from Madrid through Chicago on your way to your home state, you will have to go through passport control and customs when you reach Chicago. Once you've done that, you will quickly recheck your bags in the international terminal and move to your gate in one of the domestic terminals. There are airline agents ready to recheck your bags before you even leave the international terminal, and it's usually a very quick process.

It's not too common for you to change airports entirely, but it is possible. I can think of a few cities where this might happen: New York (JFK and LaGuardia), London (Heathrow and Gatwick), Paris (Orly and Charles DeGaulle), and Washington DC (Dulles and Reagan/National).

Hope that helps!

#86776 - 03/11/10 10:39 PM Re: Using Priceline for flights from USA to Madrid? [Re: jacmom]
Jim Costello Offline

Loc: New York City
Have you checked the Delta site for prices. Delta is having a sale. You must buy your ticket by March 15.

#86777 - 03/12/10 11:14 AM Re: Using Priceline for flights from USA to Madrid? [Re: Jim Costello]
jacmom Offline

Thank you, Jim and everyone for your information. I was too unsure about priceline for this long of a trip. We have been flying US Airways to build up the miles, so Jim your info about Delta indicated to me that USAir would probably have changed their prices also, and they had! Saved $100.00 from the price yesterday.

I will also need to be flying soon between SLC and STL sometime soon, so I may try pricline for that trip. Even tho it is a domestic flight, I can let people know how it works out.

Hooray, I'm finally going to Madrid!

Elaine

#87276 - 05/07/10 02:57 AM Re: Using Priceline for flights from USA to Madrid? [Re: jacmom]
HawaiiFrank Offline

Loc: Texas (mostly)
I used Travelocity to book my O/W Houston to Madrid bach in March. I think it was a fluke that I got the price I did ($395 pp O/W) and it's on US Air. I do have to change planes twice though. I haven't seen that fare since on any other O/W flight. Most of the flights are around $1600 for O/W. I had almost given up and decided that I'd have to buy a R/T for $800 and just not use the return. We'll be returning to the US on a cruise ship.

Frank

#87277 - 05/07/10 04:05 AM Re: Using Priceline for flights from USA to Madrid? [Re: HawaiiFrank]
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
HawaiiFrank, $395 is a GREAT price for a round trip ticket. Is that BEFORE taxes and fees or the catch-your-eye-for-being-the-lowest-price-BEFORE-taxes/fees price? What does "O/W" mean?

The lowest price on Orbitz.com, using the same dates for my June flight to the US, has ONLY gone up by $50 since buying my tickets about 1.5 months ago.

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments