Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#87215 - 05/02/10 04:04 PM Spain 1975 to 2010
Jim Costello Offline

Loc: New York City
I attended an educational symposium "Spain 1975-2010: The Present After the Future. An insider's trip to the political, economical, culture and social change that transformed a country from poverty and backwardness into modernity, and from a dictatorship to democracy. All told through the eyes and testimonies of witnesses and players of those historic changes."
The symposium was held at the New York University, King Juan Carlos 1 of Spain center in NYC on the evenings of 4/27, 4/28, and 4/30.

Some of the speakers were:
-H.E. Maria Teresa Fernandez de la Vega, Vice President of Spain
-Fernando Villalonga, Consulate General of Spain in New York.
-Alfonso Guerra, Former Vice President of Spain.
-Virgilio Zapatero, Former Minister of Labor and Parliament Relations of Spain.
-Manuel Marin, Former European Commissioner & Chief Negotiator for Spain's admission to the European Union.
-Antonio Munoz Molina,Author & KJC of Spain Center Chair in Spanish Culture and Civilization.
-Adela Gooch, Former Madrid correspondent, The Guardian and The Economist.
-Santos Julia, Professor, Universidad Complutense de Madrid.
-Mauro Gullen, Professor of International Management, University of Pennsylvania USA.
-Fernando Vallespin, Catedratico de Ciencia Politica y Administration, Universidad Autonoma de Madrid.
-Elvira Lindo, Author.
-Ines Alberdi, Executive Director, United Nations Development Fund for Women.
-Salvador Clotas, President, Fundacion Pablo Iglesias.

At the end of each evening a reception of tapas and wine. Muy bueno. Also when the Vice President H.E. Maria Tesesa Fernandez was leaving she extended her hand to me. I shook the hand of the Vice President. I started reading the Ghosts of Spain to supplement what I learned at the symposium.
It has been said that Madrid and New York are sister cities hehehe.

#87225 - 05/03/10 07:24 AM Re: Spain 1975 to 2010 [Re: Jim Costello]
pedmar Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Morbihan, France
"the political, economical, culture and social change that transformed a country from poverty and backwardness into modernity, and from a dictatorship to democracy"

maybe one day I can add to that too, lived thru it all. Many only remember the movida ::)

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
dona_quijote
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1782 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments