Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#87108 - 04/18/10 12:27 PM Madrid Barajas: No rental cars
admiral44 Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Philadelphia, Aruba DWI
Due to the volcano activity in iceland, there are no rental cars currently available at Madrid Barajas airport UNLESS you have a reservation. People are taking every car they can find and driving north to France and beyond because the airports are closed.

We picked up our car today and then drove south by east to Alarcon. Lovely drive with just a few showers and then sunshine.

Saludos.

Edited by MadridMan (04/18/10 01:53 PM)
Edit Reason: to include city location in subject.

#87109 - 04/18/10 02:13 PM Re: Madrid Barajas: No rental cars [Re: admiral44]
teachertraveler8 Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Detroit, Michigan
What is the situation? Is Barajas closed or just extra busy?

#87112 - 04/18/10 04:03 PM Re: Madrid Barajas: No rental cars [Re: teachertraveler8]
pedmar Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Morbihan, France
its chaotic many airports in Europe are close ,the UE is meeting tomorrow to look into what to do. Even France and UK were thinking of using air force and military airports to ease the situation. bad ash volcano is stopping maybe my friends from visiting me next friday yikes...

#87114 - 04/19/10 01:37 AM Re: Madrid Barajas: No rental cars [Re: pedmar]
admiral44 Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Philadelphia, Aruba DWI
Barajas was open and operating fine as of yesterday. We landed with no delays or incidents on Friday morning. Of course, departures to the North are canceled.

Also, double check with your airline and rental car companies using the call centers because the on-airport desks are absolutely swamped with people.

Saludos.

#87115 - 04/19/10 04:02 AM Re: Madrid Barajas: No rental cars [Re: admiral44]
steve robinson Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Hastings Old Town , England .
That´s good news admiral44 .. except that for me to get to England on Thursday means I have to travel North !! But I read ( and need to check this ) that a cloud of this ash is moving towards the East coast of the USA and Canada ! I know when I´ve flown to Vancouver that we pass by Iceland and Greenland ( truly beautiful to see ) .. but has the wind direction changed ? I´ll check on that ! Actually the European Union transport ministers are holding a video conference today . There are rumours that European nations will deploy naval warships to get people back to the UK ( since we are an island ) . That would be cool . I´ve been on warships ( visiting ) in the UK and Russia and my dad was in the Royal Navy in the 60s so it would be a great adventure if they offered that alternative . I guess they would head out from Barcelona or Bilbao . But maybe the longer rout from Gibraltar .

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
najmaaz
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1675 Guests and 10 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments