Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#87049 - 04/10/10 04:12 PM Summer Airfares
SalaChic Offline

Loc: Trumansburg, NY
Wow airfare is higher than usual this summer. Anyone find any good fares from the east coast to Madrid? I'm finding $1100 plus tax. And for some reason USAir only charges around $80tx, but some of the other airlines are tacking on almost $350! What gives? Any tips on where or when to look would be fabulous!

#87051 - 04/10/10 05:33 PM Re: Summer Airfares [Re: SalaChic]
laduque Offline
Executive Member

Loc: San Diego, CA, USA
I got 1100- from the WEST coast on British Airways. Seems last year was much cheaper!

#87052 - 04/10/10 05:59 PM Re: Summer Airfares [Re: laduque]
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
My June trip from Madrid to Columbus, Ohio through New York's JFK cost me $724, bought about 10 days ago through http://www.ORBITZ.com . But when I bought they said only 4 tickets were left at that price. I was happy at that price - but not happy that my credit card was charged twice (once from Orbitz and again from Delta Airlines). I'm still trying to get the one charge removed. Headache! mad

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#87053 - 04/10/10 06:08 PM Re: Summer Airfares [Re: MadridMan]
esperanza Offline
Executive Member

Loc: New York City
One way from Madrid to JFK through Dublin on Aer Lingus in early August turned out to be the most economical way for my daughter to come home. $602 ONE WAY. But we had no other options. The other possible airlines were charging up to $2000 one way. I have been checking on this route for months, and this was the best deal. I am going to Madrid on Frequent Flyer Miles through American Airlines, but I had to use a lot of miles to get a flight in the summer months. frown

#87056 - 04/10/10 06:47 PM Re: Summer Airfares [Re: esperanza]
SalaChic Offline

Loc: Trumansburg, NY
I used my FF miles last summer. :-( Now it looks like i'll have to pay through the nose. Uggh.

#87064 - 04/11/10 11:17 PM Re: Summer Airfares [Re: SalaChic]
la historiadora Offline
Executive Member

The airfares are really high this summer; in fact, they prevented me from making a trip to Madrid this year. frown And, the frequent flyer miles aren't much help as the flights are either not available or they require an exorbitant amount of miles to redeem.

I know that Spain recently started a new tourism campaign called "I Need Spain." Unfortunately, unless the airfare prices drop significantly, it will be difficult for people from the US to travel there no matter how much we all need Spain! Here's hoping next year's prices will be better!

#87065 - 04/12/10 12:56 AM Re: Summer Airfares [Re: la historiadora]
Mongo Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Minneapolis, Minnesota USA
A thing I learned when our local airline (Northwest) merged with Delta was to use their cash for miles function. With their American Express credit card (Free for the first year, 20,000 bonus miles and I got 2 free passes to the first class lounges), you get $100 off for every 10,000 miles you give them on most fares with no blackouts.

I've used it several times now and hope to use it all up soon so I can cancel the card before my second year fees kick in!

#87069 - 04/12/10 09:32 PM Re: Summer Airfares [Re: Mongo]
laduque Offline
Executive Member

Loc: San Diego, CA, USA
la historiadora, It would have been great to see you again. I didn't take advantage of the obscenely low fares last year and will be paying for it this year! Thank goodness my lodging is free!
I love the slogan for the Spanish tourism campaign, "I need Spain"! Don't we all? That's why we are all here on this fabulous forum.
Keep looking, maybe a deal will happen!!!

#87070 - 04/12/10 09:41 PM Re: Summer Airfares [Re: laduque]
Tandoorii Offline

Loc: United States
Yes! Keep looking for deals.
I snagged a Chicago to Madrid NS on Iberia for $1020...FOR TWO!! Weeks prior I was seeing $16-1700. It pays to keep checking. No really, this is for awesome-real; I bought on 3.10.10.

Keep the faith...

#87072 - 04/13/10 07:20 AM Re: Summer Airfares [Re: Tandoorii]
teachertraveler8 Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Detroit, Michigan
Tandoorii,

When are you going? It seems to be highest in July.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
najmaaz
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1675 Guests and 10 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments