Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#86918 - 03/28/10 06:50 AM Galician Market in Madrid .
steve robinson Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Hastings Old Town , England .
There´s a Galician Market set up right now in Madrid . Kiosks in Plaza de Dalí ( Metro Goya ) .. wonderful sausages , cheeses , bread etc... But also they have this Empanada Gallega ... filled with semi hard chocolate !! I had it once before in Alcala de Henares . I bought one whole Pastel de chocolate ..about 12 inches across . totally sinful !!

#86919 - 03/28/10 08:31 AM Re: Galician Market in Madrid . [Re: steve robinson]
esperanza Offline
Executive Member

Loc: New York City
how long will the market be there, Steve? Did they have the celtic music playing? Is it just food or are there other things to buy? Just wondering. The empanada gallega is my absolute faorite meal. My mom used to make it often, but hers did not include chocolate! It must be sinful. Enjoy!!

#86921 - 03/28/10 10:11 AM Re: Galician Market in Madrid . [Re: esperanza]
pedmar Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Morbihan, France
yes wonderful thing that empanada huh!!! plenty of Galicians in Madrid, you can go to Ribeira do Miño resto in santa brigida 1, tell them Pedro of Paris send you. Warn you thus they are Real Madrid fans, like me hehehehehe

#86923 - 03/28/10 12:30 PM Re: Galician Market in Madrid . [Re: pedmar]
teachertraveler8 Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Detroit, Michigan
I am a little confused. (What's new) Anyway...is the empanada gallega a savory main dish or a dessert pastry? (or like Mexican mole, using unsweetened chocolate as an ingredient)

#86924 - 03/28/10 01:41 PM Re: Galician Market in Madrid . [Re: teachertraveler8]
steve robinson Offline
Executive Member

It´s a pie .. using pastry .. but they fill it with chocolate .. I love it . It´s natural chocalate but , as far as i´m aware , no added sugar , but it´s sweet . . IT´S AMAZING !

#86944 - 03/30/10 12:39 PM Re: Galician Market in Madrid . [Re: steve robinson]
Jim Costello Offline

Loc: New York City
Hi Steve, I have the same question as Esperanza (03/28 at 8:31 AM).
I often go to a Spanish restaurant on Bleecher St owned by Galicians. I would like to bring them a small Galician gift (non-food). Thanks

#86947 - 03/30/10 06:37 PM Re: Galician Market in Madrid . [Re: Jim Costello]
steve robinson Offline
Executive Member

I stayed for a couple of weeks in Bleecker Street ... Downtown Manhattan ... I´m not sure if it´s the same street . I absolutely loved that street .We had a small apartment .
The market in Plaza de Dalí is all food but I´ll look into places here in Madrid that sell Galician products other than food .
Esperanza - I get the impression that they´ll be finished by this weekend . Plaza de Dalí is often used as a commercial and cultural showroom .

#86951 - 03/31/10 03:52 AM Re: Galician Market in Madrid . [Re: steve robinson]
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Check out the delicious "Chocolate Pie" steve robinson bought me yesterday from the Galician Market! Nearly half was eaten for merienda and it was good, the chocolate was semi-sweet and very nearly hard. Thanks, Steve!! thumbsup

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#86954 - 03/31/10 09:32 AM Re: Galician Market in Madrid . [Re: MadridMan]
pedmar Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Morbihan, France
When I go there hang around many Galegos so I have ask them for a store in Madrid that might sell souvenirs from the region.
Jim for anything on Spain there you might one to check the Club España en Newark NJ, used to play soccer/football with them a few years back back. There is a commercial office of Spain in NYC too, forgot the address but used to do events with them while the director was Julio Becquer.
good luck

and that empanada mades me hungry already MM...::)

#86956 - 03/31/10 12:34 PM Re: Galician Market in Madrid . [Re: pedmar]
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Right here in my neighborhood there's a store which specializes - and only sells - "Productos Gallegos".

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1600 Guests and 9 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments