MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#86834 - 03/18/10 06:42 PM Airport-Chamartin-Burgos-Bilbao
Tandoorii Offline

Loc: United States
Here's the itinerary two middle agers (couple) are contemplating:
Arrive Barajas T-4 7:40am 17 May. Taxi to Chamartin to catch train to Burgos at 13:30. Rent car there & drive to Bilbao for a few days then end up near Camprovin (near Logrono) for a week in a casa rurales and drink ourselves through La Rioja.
Then May 29 reverse trek and find transport to apartment in Madrid (not rented yet) until departing on June 10.
Questions:
1. Are there NO trains to Bilbao from Madrid? Nothing showing on RENFRE.
2. Is the T4 to Chamartin via Metro doable with wife and one roller bag each?
3. What transport would be available from Chamartin on return seeking apartment? Is Metro doable?

Many thanks all...

John & Ronee
Somewhat seasoned travelers.
Speak some Spanish.

#86838 - 03/19/10 04:03 AM Re: Airport-Chamartin-Burgos-Bilbao [Re: Tandoorii]
jazz Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid
Hi,
1.-Yes, there are trains to Bilbao from Madrid,looking at RENFE,Madrid-Chamartín to Bilbao-Abando
2.-yes,it's doable,line 8 airport-nuevos ministerios,then take line10 to Chamartín,!easy,fast and cheap 2€!
3.-Yes, of course

#86840 - 03/19/10 09:17 AM Re: Airport-Chamartin-Burgos-Bilbao [Re: jazz]
pedmar Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Morbihan, France
you got your answers ,the problem is RENFE site sometimes act funny ::) you need to have patient and it will show you the way.
the metro in Madrid is very easy to take.
Have a great trip

#86842 - 03/19/10 02:51 PM Re: Airport-Chamartin-Burgos-Bilbao [Re: pedmar]
steve robinson Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Hastings Old Town , England .
Just to make something clear , thay are still constructing the fast train tracks to Bilbao .. so at this moment it would be a long journey !! I´ve´v been to Bilbao maybe 3 times ( I love the city ) but we go by car .
There is a high speed ( AVE ) service being constructed . The problem is ETA who have vowed to bomb it . Thank goodness the Spanish and French police are so good at catching these guys .

#86843 - 03/19/10 04:26 PM Re: Airport-Chamartin-Burgos-Bilbao [Re: steve robinson]
Tandoorii Offline

Loc: United States
Thanks everyone.

Elsewhere I read that travelers on the Metro from the airport to various locations have turnstyle/no elevator/no escalator issues with roller luggage. Is this the case:
a. Barajas to Nuevo Ministeries?
b. Barajas to Chamartin?

In checking the MAD to Bilbao train route I was looking for a direct. Now I see that it requires a transfer. It's quite a ride but seeing the countryside might be fun.

Getting off our flight at 7:40am (with luck)what would be your best guess getting through cstoms, baggage claim and travel time via Metro to Chamartin?

Thanks again...

#86844 - 03/19/10 05:49 PM Re: Airport-Chamartin-Burgos-Bilbao [Re: Tandoorii]
jazz Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid
travel time at METRO,airport- chamartín , around 45 minutes

#86846 - 03/19/10 08:35 PM Re: Airport-Chamartin-Burgos-Bilbao [Re: jazz]
jacmom Offline

Loc: utah transplant
Hello,
Can't answer any of your questions like the others have, but I used to know a John Kennedy and I think his wife's name is Ronee. Did you ever live in Illinois and work at SSU?

Elaine

#86849 - 03/20/10 08:41 AM Re: Airport-Chamartin-Burgos-Bilbao [Re: jacmom]
pedmar Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Morbihan, France
yes i would said 45 min to Chamartin but 25-30 min to Nuevos Ministerios.the train ,the bus all are scenic and convenient even without the AVE train ,but I still prefer the car just grew up with it.

#86856 - 03/21/10 11:10 AM Re: Airport-Chamartin-Burgos-Bilbao [Re: pedmar]
jacmom Offline

Loc: utah transplant
John, I replied privately. Just go to the info bar, after you have logged in, to 'My Stuff' and look at messages there.

Elaine

#86861 - 03/22/10 04:23 PM Re: Airport-Chamartin-Burgos-Bilbao [Re: jacmom]
benw20 Offline

Loc: OKC, OK, USA
Regarding your question about "turnstyle/no elevator/no escalator issues with roller luggage", I have not seen these issues at the metro station for Barajas or Nuevos Ministerios. I cannot speak for Chamartin as it has been too long since I have been up there. The line from Barajas is modern and was purpose-built to accomodate tourists and their luggage arriving from international destinations. The stations and metro cars are different than the normal commuter train cars that are used on the other lines. I have never had any of the roller luggage problems. I think it would be relateively easy if that is all that you will be carrying.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1940 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments