Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#86686 - 02/26/10 06:13 AM Retiring in Spain as an English Teacher - PROBLEM
madridmanjim Offline

Loc: Northern Spain
Hellllppp! It is never too early to think about retirement!

As many of you, I work for a private academy. My contract is permanent but I only teach 25 hours per week. The pay is not the issue. What IS the problem is the fact that Spanish Social Security (SSS)looks at my 25 hours/wk and considers that I am working part-time. What this means is, in terms years worked towards retirement (cotización), SSS gives me credit for only 6 of every 10 years worked(25/40= 60%). This means I (and anyone else in a similar situation) will have to work at the school for TWENTY FIVE (25) years to be eligible for retirement (25 years x .6 = 15 years). Do other people in this situation just go solely autonomo or maybe both SS and autonomo at the same time? Am I wrong? Thoughts?

#86687 - 02/26/10 10:20 AM Re: Retiring in Spain as an English Teacher - PROBLEM [Re: madridmanjim]
Val Offline

Loc: Madrid
Hi Jim. Currently, freelance (autonomo) workers may increase their monthly payments (leading to a higher pension) until six months before they turn 50. After that, adjustments may only be downwards. Therefore, most freelancers pay the minimum until they are 49.5 years old and then raise payments to the maximum (or as much as they can afford) and then get a maximum pension at age 65.

However, the system will probably be changed...more than 15 years required, freelancers no longer allowed to pay the minimum but rather in accordance with revenues, no retirement until age 67, etc., etc. You can get more info. at the SS office closest to you. However, if you are well under 49, maybe you don't need to worry yet. If you are close to that age, maybe you need to check out the details...It's hard to be young and poor, but even harder to be old and poor (in my view). So, I agree, it's never too early to plan for the future!

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments