Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#86312 - 01/15/10 12:49 PM How Bad is a 90 Cent Bottle of Spanish Wine?
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Discuss, compare and contrast MadridMan's blog entry, "How Bad is a 90 Cent Bottle of Spanish Wine?"

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#86314 - 01/15/10 01:09 PM Re: How Bad is a 90 Cent Bottle of Spanish Wine? [Re: MadridMan]
gazpacho Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Macomb, MI U.S.
MM,

I remember when you used to be able to go to a bodega, bring your own jug, and buy Moscatel very cheap.

Gazpacho

#86316 - 01/15/10 04:06 PM Re: How Bad is a 90 Cent Bottle of Spanish Wine? [Re: MadridMan]
jazz Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid
!Wow!you are a brave, drinking that wine

#86318 - 01/15/10 06:17 PM Re: How Bad is a 90 Cent Bottle of Spanish Wine? [Re: jazz]
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Hehehe... I don't think I was necessarily "brave" but okay. And I never did get A) a headache or B) a stomach ache so that's all good.

I've been told by a number of 40+ year old Spaniards that THAT'S how it used to be for common folk, that you could take your own jug, bottle, or receptacle to the neighborhood bodega to get it filled with red wine - and it was cheap! Jazz, do you remember those days? (I THINK you're 40+ years old, if my memory serves me correctly wink )

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#86321 - 01/16/10 03:59 AM Re: How Bad is a 90 Cent Bottle of Spanish Wine? [Re: MadridMan]
jazz Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid
Jejeje..,thanks for 40 years old but I´ve got more years old..!!!my mother!!52

Is true, the children went to the nighborhood bodega to buy wine ( vino peleón )for lunch at home, but the storekeeper was swindler and mixed water and wine..."Spanish picaresque"

#86340 - 01/18/10 08:38 AM Re: How Bad is a 90 Cent Bottle of Spanish Wine? [Re: jazz]
admiral44 Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Philadelphia, Aruba DWI
Many a good wine has been ignored simply because the price was too low.

Enjoy.

#86346 - 01/18/10 10:50 AM Re: How Bad is a 90 Cent Bottle of Spanish Wine? [Re: admiral44]
steve robinson Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Hastings Old Town , England .
Sometimes the BEST wines are kept in the villages ... their secret unless you happen to be in a local bar !

#86349 - 01/18/10 12:26 PM Re: How Bad is a 90 Cent Bottle of Spanish Wine? [Re: steve robinson]
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

UPDATE: They just lowered the regular price of this bottle of wine from 90 Eurocents to 81 Eurocents. Incredible!! eek

Saludos, MadridMan

#86351 - 01/18/10 02:50 PM Re: How Bad is a 90 Cent Bottle of Spanish Wine? [Re: MadridMan]
pedmar Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Morbihan, France
indeed those were the days when you can buy by the barrel, or jug for "duros", it was the way to export Spanish wine to the AMericas too, later it was bottle or sold in jug there under a different name.
My grandmother used to give me some to taste, then got used to and learn all about wines from the Spanish experience that allows me to move on to others experiences. Just to know was having a El Miracle 120 by Vicente Gandia of Valencia tonite, tempranillo and Shiraz mix, delicious but a bit more expensive ::)

#86357 - 01/18/10 09:47 PM Re: How Bad is a 90 Cent Bottle of Spanish Wine? [Re: pedmar]
gazpacho Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Macomb, MI U.S.
MM,

I have to count myself among the philistine that can't tell, well, can't appreciate the difference between a cheap wine and an expensive one. I can also say I enjoy domestic wine much more than any imported wine I've tried. I guess that's why there are so many varieties of wine. To each his own.

Although the wine we bought from the bodega had lots of stuff floating in it, it was pretty good. And I really like the table wine served with the menu al dia.

Gazpacho

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
piedra negra29
Who's Online
0 registered (), 3029 Guests and 10 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments