Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#86539 - 02/08/10 03:32 PM Madrid: Prado Museum Free times...Is it worth it?
teachertraveler8 Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Detroit, Michigan
I see that the Prado has a couple hours free each day at the end of the day. Is it worthwhile to go then or is it terribly crowded? I don't imagine that I will want to spend more than a couple hours there anyway (I know it is a HUGE and IMPORTANT museum, but I have been twice already and I'm going with a teenager) Also, last year, I tried to go on the "free" day (Sunday, I think) and after waiting in one line, I found out I still had to go get tickets at another location. So, if anyone has been there in the evening and thinks it's a good plan, what entrance do you use?

Gracias!

Edited by MadridMan (02/08/10 06:23 PM)
Edit Reason: to include City Location - although it's obvious.

#86540 - 02/08/10 11:44 PM Re: Madrid: Prado Museum Free times...Is it worth it? [Re: teachertraveler8]
la historiadora Offline
Executive Member

teachertraveler8: I was at the Prado in summer 2008, and I unwittingly paid an entrance fee about a half hour before it was free admission! (I had no idea that it was free at certain times) That said, I noticed that it was more crowded, but it didn't seem overwhelming to me. I've been to temporary exhibitions at various art museums that have been very crowded and therefore quite unpleasant; however, the crowds at the Prado didn't seem that bad to me. Also, I went on a weeknight, so perhaps that had something to do with it. It's such a huge museum that it seems to absorb all those visitors quite easily. I was more distracted trying to find all the "new" locations of the paintings as they were different from my previous visits.

I'm not sure about the different entrance. I went through the new modern entrance which is on the north side of the museum (near the Ritz Hotel), but I also paid to go inside.

Buena suerte!

#86544 - 02/09/10 06:08 AM Re: Madrid: Prado Museum Free times...Is it worth it? [Re: la historiadora]
steve robinson Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Hastings Old Town , England .
I have to say that Iīve been to El Prado many times but I always pay to avoid the crowds . I did , once , go on Sunday , during summer , and it was a nightmare ! ( It was about midday , so that may have been the problem ) . There were countless tour groups being herded around on guided tours ( I HATE guided tours ) and for some of the more important art it was almost impossible to get close . It was the same in Russia at the Hermitage in St. Petersburg ... It attracts huge groups and guided tours are popular in Russia . The guides themselves can be very brash if you try to get closer when he/she are speaking .
In Versailles ( Pedmar would maybe know about this ) we were obliged to join a guided tour .. I was bored and lent on a doorway ... Man that was the wrong thing to do ( I was 18 years old ) .. The guide saw me and shouted " Monsieur , in Versailles we like to keep the ( gold ) gilt on the doors ! " . My penpalīs mother then just ushered us away and gave us a private , unauthorised tour of the palace ... much better !

#86545 - 02/09/10 01:21 PM Re: Madrid: Prado Museum Free times...Is it worth it? [Re: steve robinson]
pedmar Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Morbihan, France
well Steve , I live near,and drive by along its walls every day, so next time in Versailles let me know, you might not even have to pay ::)

No crowds, there is a way on the side once you have your ticket, but I dont need a ticket to go in!

Prado is another thing,like the Louvre in paris best is to go early morning on regular day and not a weekend or school holiday. the free days are nice if you have the patient, its crowded for obvious reasons. I preferred castles and monasteries stuff not too much into museums but going once in your lifetime is good ::)

#86556 - 02/10/10 08:53 AM Re: Madrid: Prado Museum Free times...Is it worth it? [Re: pedmar]
Silver Traveler Offline

Loc: LaGrange (Near Atlanta) Georgi...
Suggest you be there 'when the doors open' for the best experience...have not been there at a free time because of my scheduling, but enjoy the relative emptiness early in the day. then a bite of lunch in their cafeteria

#86560 - 02/10/10 12:04 PM Re: Madrid: Prado Museum Free times...Is it worth it? [Re: Silver Traveler]
steve robinson Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Hastings Old Town , England .
Silver Traveler .. I totally recommend ( to other board members too ) A restaurant/bar at the back of El Prado . Itīs wonderful .. Itīs called " Restaurante El Botanico" in Calle Ruiz de Alarcon 27 . Itīs a much better alternative to the Pradoīs cafe ( though thatīs not too bad ) . Itīs a bit pricey but worth it ! Iīve been there a few times and loved it . Itīs literally 3 or 4 minutes walk from the museum . Look out for the rolls royces , convertible jaguars ... thatīs often the clientčle but I donīt think I paid much more than 25-30 Euros a head .. and sometimes a bit less .

#86563 - 02/10/10 02:44 PM Re: Madrid: Prado Museum Free times...Is it worth it? [Re: steve robinson]
Silver Traveler Offline

Loc: LaGrange (Near Atlanta) Georgi...
Steve --- Thanks for the information...will definitely get a meal there on my next trip in the spring!

#86566 - 02/10/10 03:05 PM Re: Madrid: Prado Museum Free times...Is it worth it? [Re: Silver Traveler]
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
teachertraveler8, I discussed your question with a Spanish friend of mine and we both came to the same conclusion. No. The free times last 2 or 3 hours (depending on the day), you're likely to spend a long time (possibly an hour+) waiting in line, you'll get in late, and you'll have to rush through. At least to me, that's not worth saving 8€? Plus, I have a flexible schedule so, as Silver Traveler says above, it's much better to go earlier in the day when there are few(er) people in line and fewer people inside.

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#86582 - 02/12/10 12:28 PM Re: Madrid: Prado Museum Free times...Is it worth it? [Re: MadridMan]
Mongo Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Minneapolis, Minnesota USA
Good article in the International Herald Tribune today dealing with seeing the "essentials" at The Prado in a small amount of time.

iht.com

See you in March!

Matt

#86588 - 02/13/10 01:10 PM Re: Madrid: Prado Museum Free times...Is it worth it? [Re: Mongo]
la historiadora Offline
Executive Member

Mongo, I just saw that article in the New York Times today. I assume it will be in the print version of Sunday's NYT (tomorrow,February 14). I love the title of the article: "Touring the Prado at Warp Speed." I may have to check out this suggested itinerary the next time I'm in Madrid and don't have a lot of time to spend at the Prado.

smile

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
pablo80, pikkmees, ValLynn
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1714 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments