Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#86409 - 01/26/10 07:47 AM Rental Car Payments
admiral44 Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Philadelphia, Aruba DWI
For those traveling to Spain from the US, and subsequently renting a car in Spain, you may find it to your benefit to pay in advance. I made a reservation with Hertz and was able to pay in US$ and thereby get a much better rate than paying with a credit card at the counter. The pre-paid rad locked in the price and thereby avoided any currency shifts, which lately have not been in favor of the US despite a slight lowering of the Euro.

Also, don't forget to check with your credit card company to see if they have any transaction fees or currency exchange fees when you use the card in another country. I'll be leaving one card at home because the fee is insanely high.

Just wanted to pass this on to any travelers in a similar position.

#86410 - 01/26/10 10:15 AM Re: Rental Car Payments [Re: admiral44]
teachertraveler8 Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Detroit, Michigan
I had an interesting car rental experience last year. I booked on line to rent a car from Dollar at the Granada airport. The fee was listed around 100 euros for the week with some added taxes. I called Dollar in the US, but they couldn't tell me what the exact amount of those extra fees would be. I asked, "It won't be 300 euros?" and they assured me that the price would not be that high. I arrived at the Granada airport and eventually found Dollar, who had changed their name in the mean time. Despite calling my credit card company in advance regarding my trip to Spain, my credit card would not work for the car. The receptionist offered to let me pay in cash. The fee? Three hundred euros. I ended up taking the bus and walking. For me, it was fine. I was glad not to have had a car in the mountains anyway. It sounds like Admiral has the right idea and by paying in advance, you will know the exact amount of the car rental.

Have a good trip, Admiral44

#86411 - 01/26/10 10:34 AM Re: Rental Car Payments [Re: teachertraveler8]
steve robinson Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Hastings Old Town , England .
Credit or debit ( I think you call it "charge" ) cards take on lots of fees here in Spain . I have to pay my apartment rent in cash and every time I take out the maximum allowed from an ATM ( €500 ) it charges me something like 7 Euros . My account , my money !!!! In England there are no charges !

#86502 - 02/03/10 05:43 PM Re: Rental Car Payments [Re: steve robinson]
pedmar Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Morbihan, France
yes in advance helps and if you use the international car rental brokers better they deal with all ,and i know for experience autoeurope will match any price you get.

www.autoeurope.com
www.kemwel.com

Fees for banks if you have an account with Bank of America in the US, they are part of the global ATM alliance, you dont pay for ATM withdrawals from member banks. I am for one in France BNP and when in Spain use Barclays (nice branch by Plaza de Colon) never a fee over the years. google global ATM alliance and will give all the banks associated.

hope it helps

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
najmaaz
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1675 Guests and 10 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments