Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#86395 - 01/23/10 05:47 PM La Jota (Dance)
OsoMajor Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Garden Grove, California
Does anyone here love the Jota as much as I do? I love all it's variations but my favorite of course is from Aragon. They have several styles in the region from the exuberant style of Zaragoza to the more stylized and intricate footwork version of Albalate. I love to dance and watching the Jota makes me wish I knew how. I know a few basic footsteps but that's about it. These clips from YouTube and are of three styles of jota Aragonesa: Calanda (slow and stately), Albalate (intricate and graceful) , Zaragoza (boistrous and exuberant). The dancers are fabulous and notice the great foot work. The dance is very clean and not overly choreographed.

Below: Jota de Calanda

Below: Jota a la Albalate

Below: Jota La Dolores, estilo Zaragoza

Edited by MadridMan (01/23/10 06:39 PM)
Edit Reason: to include the actual YouTube videos in the posting. YOU can do this to by clicking the "Switch to Full Reply Screen" and clicking the media button.

#87772 - 07/09/10 09:02 AM Re: La Jota (Dance) [Re: OsoMajor]
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
My wife danced Jotas with a group in bailes regionales during her Social Service in the Franco years. About 10-years ago, one of her Primas hermanas came to visit us in Philadelphia; I put on a record of Jotas Aragonesas and they danced. They were so happy! The Jota differs from region to region, but it is the National Dance of Spain.

You can enjoy many different regional versions of la Jota if you just Google Jota. My favorites are also Jotas Aragonesas

El hijo de la Dolores

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
dona_quijote
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1782 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments