MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#86360 - 01/19/10 06:40 AM Re: Half the fun... [Re: teachertraveler8]
steve robinson Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Hastings Old Town , England .
Maybe thatīs why I liked the book ( ghosts of Spain ) so much .. that it was more of a modern take on Spain , and Spainīs recent history . Iīve tried , for example , desperately to read Hemingway and I canīt enjoy it . The language is too old. Itīs a shame since he loved Spain and Madrid so much !

#86361 - 01/19/10 07:39 AM Re: Half the fun... [Re: steve robinson]
jazz Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid
every time I read that book, I remember the painting of Goya "Duelo a garrotazos":

this is very sad!

Edited by MadridMan (01/19/10 02:08 PM)
Edit Reason: to include photo

#86363 - 01/19/10 09:22 AM Re: Half the fun... [Re: teachertraveler8]
eskimo joe Offline

Loc: st cyrus , scotland
If your going to Extremadura at the end of April , its worth stopping off in Trujillo for the feria de queso and there is lot of historical interest stuff there as well.

#86365 - 01/19/10 11:49 AM Re: Half the fun... [Re: eskimo joe]
admiral44 Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Philadelphia, Aruba DWI
TeacherTraveler,

I'd like to write a few books about Spain. As mentioned above, a travel-type book along the lines of Morton's A Stranger In Spain. However, I'm more of a novelist. I do have a book sketched out that takes place in 1816 in the vicinity of Gibraltar and the nearby African coast. This involves privateers and pirates more than Spain itself. There are several Spanish characters including an aging Don and his daughter. Nonetheless, there are several other books in line ahead of the above mentioned projects.

Eskimo Joe,

Thanks for the notice on the feria de queso!

Steve Robinson,

I agree with you on the Hemingway observation. Was never a fan of his stuff. Still, the man loved the country.

#86370 - 01/19/10 07:13 PM Re: Half the fun... [Re: admiral44]
laduque Offline
Executive Member

Loc: San Diego, CA, USA
steve, I love that part of France, once stayed in a small village near Carcasonne called Cavenac, the small chateau was gorgeous, good rates, and one of the best meals I have ever had.
If you find a provincial blue and gold tablecloth with lemons, olives and dragonflies, please pick one up for me, as I just destroyed the one I bought there 11 years ago...boo, hoo.... kidding, Have fun!

One day, I want to rent a houseboat and meander down the Midi~

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
esq, JOE DILLMAN
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1564 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments