Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#86160 - 12/31/09 08:20 AM Re: Why so down on Las Ramblas? [Re: MadridMan]
Bricamb Offline

Loc: Cambridge UK
I was in Barcelona last January. I found the Ramblas to be fine to walk down during the day. At night though, I have to admit I sometimes felt a little uncomfortable because of the prostitutes. I had no problem with them being there but I did not like being followed by them. Some of them even tried to grab my arm and got in my face a bit, which I frankly found intrusive and agressive. It's shame because I think it is a lovely walk but it is a top tourist zone and those areas attract all kinds of people.

#86166 - 12/31/09 08:32 AM Re: Why so down on Las Ramblas? [Re: Bricamb]
pedmar Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Morbihan, France
yep las Ramblas are getting bad for a while now, even for the locals who are beginning to complaint there according to friends who live.

#86179 - 01/01/10 11:42 AM Re: Why so down on Las Ramblas? [Re: pedmar]
Jan D Offline

Loc: Isle of Wight UK
I read an article in one of the English language free mags while we were out there last October. The Gist of it was that local Spanish Prostitutes are ok and not over pushy. So have always been tolerated. Now though many of the girls are non Spanish, these are the ones causing problems
() / ()

#86182 - 01/01/10 01:05 PM Re: Why so down on Las Ramblas? [Re: Jan D]
steve robinson Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Hastings Old Town , England .
You´re right JanD ! The prostitutes are mainly non-Spanish . The majority from East Europe or Africa : I hear Romanian and Polish being spoken all the time in Calle Montera (in Madrid). But they´re not THAT pushy .. just doing their job (whether you agree with it or not). Even in my "community" the chaperos (hustlers) are from Latin America or places like the Czech Republic or Russia . I've been approached many times but a friendly smile and a "no" always works ! They know the deal .

Edited by MadridMan (01/01/10 01:29 PM)
Edit Reason: clarifying location of comment

#86186 - 01/01/10 04:26 PM Re: Why so down on Las Ramblas? [Re: steve robinson]
teachertraveler8 Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Detroit, Michigan
Have you seen the movie "Princesas"? It is about two prostitutes in Spain, one is Spanish and the other is South American. I started watching it, but didn't finish. The part I saw was interesting. Has anyone else seen it? Should I get it and finish it?

#86188 - 01/02/10 04:02 AM Re: Why so down on Las Ramblas? [Re: teachertraveler8]
steve robinson Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Hastings Old Town , England .
I haven´t seen that film , teachertraveler8 ... I´ll look out for it !
Just a follow on to the question as to whether the prostitutes or hustlers can be pushy ...You will find that they can very in you face if you go to Casa del Campo ... A place you´d be well advised to stay away from at night especially .
Even up by the zoo ( which is great ! ) The women stand by the road or in amongst the trees , some almost completely naked . Not really something you want the kids seeing . The police regularly patrol the area but I´ve never seen them pick up any of the girls .
The chaperos , or hustlers will often follow you into the hills as has happened to me on two occasions . I have no worries about what they´re doing as such , but it´s very unnerving being followed when there´s almost nobody else around . If you stop and turn around , then that´s their signal to approach ( so i´m told ! )
At night Casa del Campo is a popular cruising area for the gay community ... and very very shady !

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments