Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#85865 - 12/01/09 06:48 AM New year tradition
jazz Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid
Here eat twelve grapes one by stroke, drinking champagne or cava, with a gold ring in the glass, with red underwear and burn a paper with your wishes. What traditions do you have?

#85867 - 12/01/09 09:09 AM Re: New year tradition [Re: jazz]
vanbags Offline

Loc: madrid, spain
for new years? we don't really have a tradition. we would typically find the best bar/party and enjoy ourselves there.
this year we'll be going home to san diego. for new years we will probably drive up to las vegas, nevada since its my younger brothers 21st birthday.

#85872 - 12/02/09 02:32 AM Re: New year tradition [Re: vanbags]
steve robinson Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Hastings Old Town , England .
Well Vanbags now you´re going to be in Madrid you should check Jazz´s comment above about the tradition here in Madrid for New Year . And we´ll definitely have to organise a day to meet up ! Actually there are some nice places near Serrano ( where the embassy is ) . I´m sure your husband is going to get a LOT of advice from his colleagues ! But a word of advice .. Make sure you get to meet many Spanish people .. Some of whom use this message board . It´s through my many Spanish friends that I´ve experienced the best and sometimes hidden ( off the tourist track ) things to experience in Madrid and other parts of Spain . I travelled to Bilbao with a friend from the Basque Country and it was amazing . He knew exactly where to go and the best non touristy bars and restaurants .
My brother has lived in Moscow for nearly 15 years , and he was never really a language person ( though he speaks perfect Russian now ) but he did the right thing and befriended lots of Russians ( including his wife ! ) .. He threw himself headfirst into the culture ... It´s the best way !

#85885 - 12/02/09 01:02 PM Re: New year tradition [Re: steve robinson]
vanbags Offline

Loc: madrid, spain
we both are looking forward to experiencing spain [& europe] in a non-touristy way, although we WOULD like to check out some of the more popular tourist spots when we first get there, just to get a feel for things. we don't want to be/act like tourists the whole 3 years. the language barrier will probably be our toughest challenge, more so for my husband.

he is already talking about taking our first trip to pamplona to run with the bulls - although the thought of him running makes me faint, i would LOVE to see it!

i look forward to all the festivities & traditions through out the year in spain. so much to see & learn!

#85889 - 12/02/09 02:21 PM Re: New year tradition [Re: vanbags]
pedmar Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Morbihan, France
you eat 12 but the 13 you tossed out and make a wish for the new year...Spanish old tradition ::)

#85890 - 12/02/09 02:31 PM Re: New year tradition [Re: pedmar]
steve robinson Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Hastings Old Town , England .
I´ve never been to the running of the bulls in Pamplona ( I´m ashamed to say ) , but I have been opposite a bull ( small ) in a bullring ! It´s scary as hell ! When it charges at you , you have to make decisions quickly ! They are so damn agressive ! Apart from the thing in Pamplona , think also about "Las Fallas" in Valencia ( Very spectacular pyrotechnics ) , the Fería de Abril in Sevilla ( flamenco ) , ad "La Tomatina " in Buñol .. be prepared to get completely covered in tomato juice !
Steve

#86050 - 12/15/09 09:41 AM Re: New year tradition [Re: steve robinson]
sallyanne Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid
Jazz, In Liverpool, at midnight of the 31st, all the ships that are docked there on the River Mersey sound their horns at the same time - it is really loud, and I miss that sound a lot!

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
dona_quijote
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1782 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments