Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#85975 - 12/07/09 05:26 PM Christmas trees?
teachertraveler8 Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Detroit, Michigan
Hey Spaniards and Ex-pats

Do you all put up Christmas trees in your homes? Are the stores decorated for Christmas? If you put up trees, are they real or fake? When do you put them up?

thanks for the info!

#85987 - 12/09/09 02:17 PM Re: Christmas trees? [Re: teachertraveler8]
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
I, MadridMan, and United Statesen expatriate, have never put up a Christmas tree in my 4 years here but I do "use" the Christmas tree of those closest to me on Christmas Day. I do, however, tie colorful ribbons around the house - but that's about as far as I go for Christmas decorations.

Some Spanish friends of mine have a potted pine (of some variety) which they decorate annually as well as decorate their house with holiday candles and other adornments.

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#85988 - 12/09/09 03:10 PM Re: Christmas trees? [Re: MadridMan]
steve robinson Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Hastings Old Town , England .
I have a fake one , about 3 feet tall but decorated like crazy ! The christmas decorations to buy here in Madrid are wonderful ! I put my one up about a week ago . In England my mum will have a real tree ( I love the smell of the pine ) and about 8 to 9 feet tall . Me and my nieces will decorate it with my mum .

#85989 - 12/10/09 12:47 AM Re: Christmas trees? [Re: steve robinson]
vanbags Offline

Loc: madrid, spain
we hope to continue the christmas tree/decorating tradition while living in madrid. i'm sad we're arriving in madrid just after christmas time - i bet its gorgeous!

#85998 - 12/11/09 03:39 AM Re: Christmas trees? [Re: vanbags]
Donna Cuervo Offline

Loc: New York, NY
The lit up Puerta del Sol Christmas tree on the home page looks really nice. I saw it when I was there, but I wish I was there long enough to see it lit up.

#86000 - 12/11/09 06:22 AM Re: Christmas trees? [Re: Donna Cuervo]
steve robinson Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Hastings Old Town , England .
Vanbags .. you´ll have no problems continuing the christmas decoration tradition .. It´s a HUGE deal here , and they have some really original things , alongside the traditional . The christmas market in Plaza Mayor is a great place to shop and , more upmarket , the omnipotent " El Corte Ingles " has really beautiful decorations to buy !
What I like about it here in Madrid , is that the sense of tradition is important . I´m not religious at all but still recognise that christmas is a religious holiday ... and that is very much at the forefront here where the tradtion , for kids and families , is to build there own mini nativity set .."Belén - Spanish for Bethlehem " . Some of the figures of Joseph , Mary etc.. can fetch high prices .. real craftsmanship !

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
dona_quijote
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1782 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments