MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 11 of 11 < 1 2 9 10 11
Topic Options
#87420 - 05/22/10 04:51 AM Re: Bullfighting? No, Thanks [Re: steve robinson]
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Can you say.... "puré de patatas"? That'll - sadly - be his main course for awhile.

But is it just me who thinks the "muy grave" designation means "life threatening"? Or, maybe better translated, it should be "very serious".(?) I mean, sure, it's terrible to have a bull's horn pierced through your lower jaw, through your teeth, and out your mouth but I doubt anyone was in risk of dying because of it. Sometimes I think they over-emphasize or embellish the severity of injuries so it seems more spectacular when they return, making them seem more god-like to the public. I do wish him the best and a speedy recovery.

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#87422 - 05/22/10 05:22 AM Re: Bullfighting? No, Thanks [Re: MadridMan]
steve robinson Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Hastings Old Town , England .
I think " muy grave " .. means "very serious" . There´s no doubt that his injuries justify that description . I would be interested , for example , to see how the press reported "Yiyo's" injury and eventual death in the eighties .... What language they used .

#87426 - 05/22/10 12:39 PM Re: Bullfighting? No, Thanks [Re: steve robinson]
eskimo joe Offline

Loc: st cyrus , scotland
I think it just means very serious , as you see it a lot on the bullfighting websites , and if you goto the infirmary at Las Ventas they alway put up a hand written description of the goring and injury .
The horn went through Yiyos heart , so he died almost instantly.

#87442 - 05/23/10 01:37 PM Re: Bullfighting? No, Thanks [Re: eskimo joe]
steve robinson Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Hastings Old Town , England .
I just got back from Ventas ( Metro ) . If anybody had any doubts about the popularity of bullfighting you should have seen the crowds !!!! I , almost literally , had to fight through the crowds outside the bullring and up Alcalá to walk back home . Definitely a full house this evening ! And I only heard Spanish spoken ... I guess the abonos got all the tickets !

#87443 - 05/24/10 09:23 AM Re: Bullfighting? No, Thanks [Re: steve robinson]
eskimo joe Offline

Loc: st cyrus , scotland
And there wasnt even any big names last night.

#87482 - 05/29/10 10:58 AM Re: Bullfighting? No, Thanks [Re: eskimo joe]
pedmar Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Morbihan, France
"muy grave" can literally means very serious ,dangerous like in intensive care of a hospital.
I am glad to read the Ventas was full still these days. It will hard to erase this tradition I am sure.

Page 11 of 11 < 1 2 9 10 11

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
dona_quijote
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1782 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments