Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#85904 - 12/03/09 04:22 PM Happy Birthday MadridMan!!
esperanza Offline
Executive Member

Loc: New York City
FELICIDADES!! Te deseo todo lo mejor. Siempre. HAPPY BIRTHDAY to you!! (Just figured we would get the party started a little early!) have fun!!

Edited by esperanza (12/03/09 05:46 PM)

#85907 - 12/03/09 05:51 PM Re: Happy Birthday MadridMan!! [Re: esperanza]
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Ahhhh... Aren't you sweet, esperanza. Thank you so much. wavey

Saturday night I'll have a house-full-o'-Spaniards (plus one Brit & one Jamaican-American) for a pseudo-Thanksgiving turkey dinner & imagine we'll have a birthday cake then too.

Saludos, MadridMan cheers

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#85912 - 12/04/09 06:40 AM Re: Happy Birthday MadridMan!! [Re: MadridMan]
billy the man Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Bolton England
you will get a "Happy Birthday" on your birthday

#85913 - 12/04/09 10:57 AM Re: Happy Birthday MadridMan!! [Re: billy the man]
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

I certainly will, billy the man. And probably some "Cumpleaños Feliz"-es too! laugh

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#85914 - 12/04/09 11:30 AM Re: Happy Birthday MadridMan!! [Re: MadridMan]
billy the man Offline
Executive Member

laugh

#85924 - 12/04/09 04:39 PM Re: Happy Birthday MadridMan!! [Re: billy the man]
Rodolfo Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Stockton,Ca.
Make it a good one!

#85926 - 12/04/09 07:07 PM Re: Happy Birthday MadridMan!! [Re: Rodolfo]
la historiadora Offline
Executive Member

¡Feliz Cumpleaños MadridMan! As it is now officially your birthday in Spain I'd like to wish you the very best for a wonderful day and a great year. It sounds as if you have a fantastic celebration planned, too! smile

#85929 - 12/05/09 03:08 AM Re: Happy Birthday MadridMan!! [Re: la historiadora]
billy the man Offline
Executive Member

birthday
now its your birthday

"Happy birthday" MadridMan enjoy your day and night

cake partypair birthday

Edited by billy the man (12/05/09 03:09 AM)

#85932 - 12/05/09 04:24 AM Re: Happy Birthday MadridMan!! [Re: billy the man]
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Thank you, everyone!!! Today, I'll be spending much of my birthday in the kitchen cooking the post-Thanksgiving/Birthday feast for my dozen Spanish friends, one Brit (YOU know who you are), and one Jamaican-American. Oh, and I'll be the ONLY 100% born-and-bred United Statesen. Don't I feel special! laugh

cloud9 Saludos, MadridMan cheers

P.S. That's cool! I just realized that on our/my birthday the message board software puts a little birthday cake next to his/her/my username! cake

Edited by MadridMan (12/05/09 04:37 AM)
Edit Reason: 'cause it's ma' birfday.

#85938 - 12/05/09 07:58 AM Re: Happy Birthday MadridMan!! [Re: MadridMan]
teachertraveler8 Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Detroit, Michigan
Happy Birthday, MadridMan. I will eat a Buckeye in honor of your day. (And you have some Spanish wine for me, ok?)

#85942 - 12/05/09 12:24 PM Re: Happy Birthday MadridMan!! [Re: teachertraveler8]
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Whew! I'm dead tired already and have been cooking for about 5 hours semi-straight and still have a couple hours more to go before guests arrive. Hope that turkey comes out better than it did last year!

Saludos, MadridMan

#85943 - 12/05/09 05:03 PM Re: Happy Birthday MadridMan!! [Re: MadridMan]
Jan D Offline

Loc: Isle of Wight UK
Happy Birthday
() / ()

#85944 - 12/05/09 06:29 PM Re: Happy Birthday MadridMan!! [Re: Jan D]
Jim Costello Offline

Loc: New York City
Happy birthday MadridMan.

#85948 - 12/06/09 01:33 AM Re: Happy Birthday MadridMan!! [Re: teachertraveler8]
OsoMajor Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Garden Grove, California
Happy Birthday, MadridMan. Hope you won't be too tired to celebrate your day!

#85950 - 12/06/09 05:46 AM Re: Happy Birthday MadridMan!! [Re: OsoMajor]
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Thank you, EVERYONE, for your warm birthday wishes! It's always nice to receive them and they make me feel "special".

The birthday-Thanksgiving dinner was a success. I made too much food (better to have too much) and all 8 of us enjoyed ourselves a lot with lively conversation - and lots of wine and cava.

The 4 kilo turkey I ordered ended up being a 6 kilo turkey because they didn't have any smaller ones. This one was even a little bigger than last years! But since I didn't use the &%$"! plastic turkey baking bags like I did last year, instead covering it simply with aluminum foil, and putting strips of jamón serrano all over the skin, it baked much much better. The outermost part was a little dry, particularly the first half-inch of the breast because they were very near the upper burner. It was a good sign that that oven was NOT smoking until the 3rd hour, when I took it out. It was done.

The stuffing, my first time making it, burnt on the bottom of the baking pan after only 20 minutes of the 30-minute recommended baking time so I had to cut off and throw out the bottom "skin". I made a second batch as "no-bake" and it turned out well and was a big hit at the table. The bread I was using was already toasted so it didn't really NEED to be baked. I later heated it all up in the microwave just before dinner. And everyone was right, it was pretty easy but you know how things are the FIRST time you do them.

Other side-dishes included kernel corn in real butter, salt, and oregano, green beans baked with slivers of jamón serrano, basic mashed potatoes, turkey gravy, and a "relish tray" of green olives, black olives, pickles, and cherry tomatoes.

Pre-meal snacks included cashews, "kikos" (baked corn nuts), "conos" (like "Bugles"), and the same relish tray.

The cake mercifully had no candles but upon its presentation, everyone sang happy birthday to me, first in Spanish and then in English.

Some people brought gifts ALTHOUGH I TOLD THEM NOT TO, nearly everyone brought wine or champagne and, I think we drank them all over the course of the night.

I washed half of the dishes and threw out the turkey carcass downstairs/outside after cleaning it well of the least dry parts and had JUST enough left-over containers for those leftovers. The green bean casserole was hardly touched, maybe because it was on the far end of the table. People really liked the turkey, mashed potatoes, and even the cranberries which the Spaniards said it complemented the meal well.

Member Steve Robinson made his second Thanksgiving Day appearance at the MadridMan home and he too enjoyed himself. It was nice to host him and he got A LOT of practice speaking and listening to Spanish.

I Woke up TOO early this morning at 9am - after going to bed at 3am - and began putting away clean dishes and washing those remaining.

So that's that! Another Thanksgiving and birthday put behind me. Until next year!

Saludos, MadridMan

#85954 - 12/06/09 12:37 PM Re: Happy Birthday MadridMan!! [Re: MadridMan]
pedmar Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Morbihan, France
I can only say, better late than never. Happy birthday MadridMan. or Feliz Cumpleaños.

#85957 - 12/07/09 04:21 AM Re: Happy Birthday MadridMan!! [Re: pedmar]
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Thank you, pedmar! Another birthday has come and gone and it was a good one, probably one I'll remember forever. thumbsup Can't remember the last time I hosted a birthday party or even the last time I had one! Usually, it's just a simple going-out-to-dinner and that's that. But this year, wow!

Saludos, MadridMan

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments