MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#85577 - 10/26/09 03:00 AM Iberia airways Strike
steve robinson Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Hastings Old Town , England .
I already posted something on the shoutbox . But Anybody travelling with Iberia in Spain should be aware of the massive disruption due to this strike . I´m posting a link ( in Spanish ) and you´ll see it includes a PDF file of all the flights due to be cancelled , so far , today ( Monday ) and Tuesday .. more than 400 of them .

http://www.20minutos.es/noticia/550044/0/huelga/iberia/barajas/

#85583 - 10/26/09 08:40 AM Re: Iberia airways Strike [Re: steve robinson]
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Yup. That should cause REAL problems for awhile. Imagine all those reservations delayed or overbooked, all those concert tickets paid for lost, all those paid-for holiday/vacation days missed. That's a true shame.

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#85586 - 10/26/09 01:24 PM Re: Iberia airways Strike [Re: MadridMan]
steve robinson Offline
Executive Member

Th crazy thing is that the Unions are now balloting British Airways staff to possibly go on strike . I think their argument is actually very valid as BA are reducing benefits etc.. ( BA will go out of business soon unless the Government intervene ) . But I hate the fact that hard working people , looking for a rest and a holiday away from home are being punished like this . Frankly , I would ban the unions for certain public services .

#85594 - 10/27/09 03:06 AM Re: Iberia airways Strike [Re: steve robinson]
Donna Cuervo Offline

Loc: New York, NY
Steve, I hope you'll keep on posting this information. I'm flying to Madrid from New York on Iberia on November 2 then continuing to Seville November 3. The next week I'll be flying from Seville to Madrid on November 10 and back home to New York on November 17.

I was so glad to get the ticket for only $200 including all taxes. Now I have to worry about this.

#85596 - 10/27/09 05:09 AM Re: Iberia airways Strike [Re: Donna Cuervo]
steve robinson Offline
Executive Member

Donna .. I´m guessing from your name that you speak Spanish ? .. If so keep an eye on a website called www.20minutos.es .. I check this website every morning and evening for Spanish news . At the top of the page you can even access news of our own city .. "Tu ciudad " ... Maybe look at the news for Madrid as the flight problems all seem to stem from Madrid Barajas airport .
However , I´m going to England this afternoon , for 2 weeks ( On EasyJet ! ) .. But i´ll have my laptop and if I see any info I´ll post it .

#85602 - 10/27/09 01:52 PM Re: Iberia airways Strike [Re: steve robinson]
Jamongris Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, from London
Depending on what you read too, BA and Iberia are hoping to merge by the end of the year. That should double the fun.

#85603 - 10/27/09 02:29 PM Re: Iberia airways Strike [Re: steve robinson]
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
According to the latest news today at http://www.20minutos.es/noticia/551304/0/barajas/huelga/tripulantes/ , today was the second and last day of the scheduled Iberia strike. Now lets see how far the negotiations get for the raise in salaries.

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#85608 - 10/28/09 02:07 AM Re: Iberia airways Strike [Re: MadridMan]
Donna Cuervo Offline

Loc: New York, NY
Thanks Steve. I'll keep an eye on the 20 minutos website.

Is there any possibility that the dispute will be settled quickly?

#85619 - 10/29/09 11:16 AM Re: Iberia airways Strike [Re: Donna Cuervo]
steve robinson Offline
Executive Member

Way out in the open Donna . The unions in Europe can be very stubborn and militant . There is a postal strike right now in the UK .. and talks just failed to solve that . Just have to keep your ear to the ground .

#85622 - 10/29/09 01:52 PM Re: Iberia airways Strike [Re: steve robinson]
Jamongris Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, from London
I can't see either this dispute or the BA one being solved quickly. These airlines have to restructure and the unions are not going to like it. I fear more strikes....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments