Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#85543 - 10/24/09 02:42 PM Are Spanish people unfriendly?
StripedShirt Offline

Before I say any more, no of course they're not all unfriendly. We're returning to Spain in December having just departed in September. That thread-starter is such a sweeping question, yep, I realise that.

Nevertheless, our experiences for the first few days in September were of the type that makes you blink and think "What?" or "Excuse me?" or "Did I do or say something wrong?"

First off, the airline lost my suitcase. I phoned the rental agency in Seville from Madrid as arranged, mentioning that I had no suitcase and was therefore somewhat upset. The Spanish rental agency person had no shred of interest in my plight whatsoever. Now in the UK or the USA or Australia, I'd have had an "Oh no! How ghastly for you!" and other similar empathetic remarks. Not a good start.

The agency sent a greeter to the apartment who spoke no English whatsoever. This person was in a great hurry and very impatient, dismissive, nearly-hostile, and slammed the door on her way out. I burst into tears and wept for at least 20 minutes. Not a good start.

It cost us Euros 50 to go to the airport and back to retrieve my suitcase once they'd flown it down from Madrid: this was because the baggage people at the airport couldn't give a flying toss about my lack of suitcase contents for 48 hours.

It took about 4 days to find a Tourist Information office which was actually open (some of those on the map were shut/closed/abandoned/empty). When we finally got there, we were dealt with by a stone-faced, grim, cold young woman. I had said Hola! I had said Por Favor to be polite and friendly but all I got was a whipped-out map with big biro scribbles on it of the places I'd asked about - like where to hire a bike, for instance. Not just unfriendly but downright hostile......Look, if they get sick of visitors asking the same questions all the time it is NOT THE VISITORS' FAULT, is it? They need tourists to keep their jobs!

Eventually we turned this into a game: Make a Spaniard Smile Today! Man selling tickets for flamenco, make him smile! Woman selling things in Alcazar gift-shop, make her smile! Buying train tickets at the station? Make them smile too!

There are some lovely warm people there - yes, we met them, but boy oh boy do they need seeking out.

#85546 - 10/24/09 03:12 PM Re: Are Spanish people unfriendly? [Re: StripedShirt]
jazz Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid
Some of them aren't nice persons but I think they are few, there's always IDOT, good luck in December

#85550 - 10/24/09 03:55 PM Re: Are Spanish people unfriendly? [Re: jazz]
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
"Friendliness" is something judged only from our own perspective. We mustn't overlay our values onto others outside of our own culture. I know - easier said than done.

The funny thing is that many Spaniards think Americans and Brits are TOO FRIENDLY & "sappy sweet" with all our ear-to-ear smiles and "how are you doing today?" and over-the-top personal assistance (their words not mine). And I have to admit they may have a point. American/Brit personal care is exaggerated but maybe because, in small part, many of them work for tips, unlike in Spain.

The whole "Unfriendly Spaniard" topic is an old theme but I'm glad you brought it back up. Not speaking Spanish with Spaniards (the vast majority of whom do not speak a 2nd language) does cause stress and anxiety for the help staff attending to you whatever their job.

I can't say I've ever encountered an unfriendly person at the Plaza Mayor tourist office or at the tourist kiosks but maybe I was lucky.

As I said in another thread, it's not much in their culture to add those "Oh my! That's terrible! I'm so sorry to hear that" comments let alone the "Please", "Thank you", & "Your Welcome". It's not at all that they're rude, it's just a difference in our cultures. Realize that and nearly everything else will pass over you without a bother.

I'm sure some philosopher once said, "Don't expect much and you'll never be disappointed."

But having your luggage lost and an uptight agency person in your face isn't very pleasant either - by far! Your visit really did get off to a bad start and "I'm very sorry to hear that." (and I mean it - plus I'm an American so it's in my culture to try to understand and appreciate the plight of others)

A good cultural example is prostitution. Many people in the world consider it terrible, immoral, and downright wrong. Many people in Spain (and elsewhere) consider this legal business not only necessary to society but the right of the woman (or man) to prostitute herself if she does so willingly. It's all a question of norms. "When in Rome, do as the Romans do." (but that doesn't mean you have to be rude to Spaniards, going against your own upbringing. Just "turn the other cheek".)

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#85560 - 10/25/09 03:07 AM Re: Are Spanish people unfriendly? [Re: MadridMan]
Donna Cuervo Offline

Loc: New York, NY
I've always found the Spanish people to be very serious and businesslike in most situations. They seem like the kind of people who have a small circle of friends and family and consider everyone else outsiders.

I've found the men friendly enough. A lot of waiters and other people I deal with will start conversations out of curiosity and chat and offer advice.

The women are another story. They look at me like they think I'm there to steal somebody's husband. There's very little opportunity to have the pleasant kind of conversations that are possible with women from other European countries (especially northern Europe) who take an interest in meeting someone from another country and are interested in hearing what you have to say and are willing to share ideas.

Obviously there are always some exceptions. Also, unless you have a fluent language in common, you can't be much of a judge of people's personalities.

In my current job I deal everyday with incoming tourists to New York City. It's very interesting to be on the other side seeing European people in our country as tourists. They're not always as confident as when they're strutting securely around their own cities. The Spanish visitors tend to be rather bashful and quiet. Maybe they're just shy.

Edited by Donna Cuervo (10/25/09 03:19 AM)

#85561 - 10/25/09 04:36 AM Re: Are Spanish people unfriendly? [Re: Donna Cuervo]
steve robinson Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Hastings Old Town , England .
Firstly the answer to the thread "Are Spanish People Unfriendly " is a resounding NO ! They´re fantastic people .
Let me also just say something else .. The first day I arrived in Madrid .. more than 4 years ago was the reason I stayed here . I went to Plaza de Chueca .. It was August and at 2 o´clock in the morning it was still 90 degrees . I was in heaven . I was very lucky to get a table as the whole square was packed out and people , as usual in Chueca , were standing around like vultures waiting for someone to move . However 5 guys ( Spanish ) , came upto me and asked if they could share my table .. I´m always glad to meet new people so I said "yes" . We got on very well ... And 4 years later 2 guys who live in Madrid became great friends of mine ( The others lived in Alicante and Sicilia ) .
The story , StripedShirt about your luggage is typical . I had my luggage lost on an Air Argentina flight from London to Madrid . I got to Madrid late and had to fill in all the relevant forms at the airport . They said they would contact me . About 3 days later and no news . I took the Metro to the airport and managed to find a guy to help me . He swiped his card and we walked straight past the Guardia Civil , airside , into the baggage hall . Where he left me ( what a security risk !!! ) . I went to the lost baggage desk and explained the situation and he sort of half smiled . There were LOTS of cases there and he said " have a look around , if you can´t find yours then just take one you like the look of " . To this day I can´t say whether he was joking but it would have been easy to do as I was past security !
I did find my bag , just sitting there , but still did not receive a phone call .
By the way , I love this thread . It´s throwing up some interesting thoughts and experiences !

#85564 - 10/25/09 09:23 AM Re: Are Spanish people unfriendly? [Re: StripedShirt]
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
Originally Posted By StripedShirt
... That thread-starter is such a sweeping question, yep, I realise that ...
The Spanish have a saying: Como le vean, asi le tratan; so, it depends on the situation and how you come across to whomever you're dealing with. Many won't understand your language; their response might be to shrug their shoulders and go on about what they were doing before you approached them. Relating to your lost luggage, you write:
Quote:
... in the UK or the USA or Australia, I'd have had an "Oh no! How ghastly for you!" and other similar empathetic remarks.
I have to challenge you on your USA inclusion in the empathetic remarks list. Airlines have lost my luggage in Newark, NJ, Las Vegas, Nevada, and Orlando, Florida; I don't recall receiving anything other than directions to a 'lost luggage' Office on any of those instances
Quote:
... the baggage people at the airport couldn't give a flying toss about my lack of suitcase contents for 48 hours ...
Maybe if you treated them like 'People,' rather than 'Spanish People' they might have responded in kind.
Quote:
... Not just unfriendly but downright hostile...There are some lovely warm people there - yes, we met them, but boy oh boy do they need seeking out.
rolleyes

#85568 - 10/25/09 12:20 PM Re: Are Spanish people unfriendly? [Re: Eddie]
StripedShirt Offline

Re the lost luggage, if you look at my original post I said:

Quote:
I phoned the rental agency in Seville from Madrid as arranged, mentioning that I had no suitcase and was therefore somewhat upset. The Spanish rental agency person had no shred of interest in my plight whatsoever. Now in the UK or the USA or Australia, I'd have had an "Oh no! How ghastly for you!" and other similar empathetic remarks. Not a good start.

It was the rental agency I was talking to, not the lost luggage office.

Re: "how I come across", in my original post I said:

Quote:
I had said Hola! I had said Por Favor to be polite and friendly ..

Re: the baggage people at the airport not giving a flying toss about when they'd deliver my case, Eddie, they slammed the phone down on me. They said they had my case and had no idea when they would get around to delivering it. I said "why not" in SPANISH, they slammed the phone down. Hence the two taxi-rides costing us Euros 50 to retrieve the bag ourselves. The same story as Steve Robinson's, if you read his post too.

Re your rolleyes , sleeping try reading things in context. Context is everything. wave

Edited by StripedShirt (10/25/09 12:21 PM)

#85570 - 10/25/09 02:30 PM Re: Are Spanish people unfriendly? [Re: StripedShirt]
eskimo joe Offline

Loc: st cyrus , scotland
When I flew to Mexico I went through the states , and I have to say I didnt find the people at George Bush airport very helpfull or friendly . I needed 4 quaters so I could phone home , I was buying things in order to get the 4 quaters , but nowhere could give me 4. I know there was a recession , but come on . To add to this I had been awake for 20 hours travelling , and after the 3rd place I went to with the same results my sarcasm levels were going through the roof !

#85572 - 10/25/09 02:35 PM Re: Are Spanish people unfriendly? [Re: eskimo joe]
eskimo joe Offline

Loc: st cyrus , scotland
Obviously I dont hold this against all Americans , otherwise I wouldnt post on here .

#85574 - 10/25/09 03:09 PM Re: Are Spanish people unfriendly? [Re: eskimo joe]
steve robinson Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Hastings Old Town , England .
I think American security forces have huge problems right now with the threat of another major attack .. as in many ways does the UK . But America is public enemy no.1 in the eyes of many extremists . I love America , but I hate travelling there , because even as a Brit I get rude almost military service at the airport . Once I get out of the airport everybody´s nice and i´m pleased to be in the United States .
Here in España , when I talk to the authorities , I almost always talk in Spanish , but as MM said earlier , many Spanish do not speak or understand a second language .
An example : as a Spaniard who doesn´t speak English , try communicating with employees at London ( Heathrow ) airport . I guarantee you´ll get short thrift !!! THey´ll pretty much walk away from you !
It is all a matter of culture and that can lead to ignorance , but not malicious ignorance . As a famous French General said many years ago " Vive La Difference " .. Learn to enjoy the cultural differences or , at least , to deal with them .
I come across real problems on my many visits to Russia .. Incredibly lethargic service in supermarkets and restaurants .. It´s the Russian way .. And yet now I´ve had great parties in Russia with Russians !
I have many problems here in Spain with bureaucracy , for example . It drives me crazy . But I learn to live with the way of life in Spain .. a sort of laissez-faire attitude .
Spain is not the United Kingdom , or the USA or Australia etcc it´s España .. It´s unique , colourful and vibrant in it´s culture , and I , for one, am proud and honoured to be living here .

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Espanol, quinlan
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2294 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments