MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#85458 - 10/12/09 09:45 AM Re: Madrid or Malaga [Re: Eddie]
JeanSP Offline

Loc: Joburg and Malaga
Hi Eddie,

Thanks for the info, I am not looking at a pub sort of vibe, something that caters for all. Cocktails, good music etc... I want to try and steer away from theme bars so to speak, I want to generate a variety of clientele, locals, tourist and such.

Yeah the World Cup is going to be big, but I think I will be staying here for that as I booked my tickets already.

thanks for the wishes!

#85473 - 10/15/09 07:50 AM Re: Madrid or Malaga [Re: JeanSP]
steve robinson Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Hastings Old Town , England .
JeanSP . I went to a great tapas place a few days .. my second visit . It´s very smart on one of Madrid´s most important streets ( Velásquez ) . You might want to check the link to see what they offer . They have a mouth watering pintxo of solomillo ( steak ) about 1/2 an inch thick . Cooked medium rare . Topped with either blue cheese or , my favourite , foie gras . I know that foie gras isn´t very " politically correct " ... ( It might even be banned in some States in the USA ) But it is widely available here in Spain . The link is : www.cadenalateral.es . They have 5 branches in the city , all of which are great locations . But I like the on in Velásquez .

#85474 - 10/15/09 07:54 AM Re: Madrid or Malaga [Re: steve robinson]
steve robinson Offline
Executive Member

By the way , even though they are a high profile group of tapas bars , some of their English translation leaves a lot to be desired .. but you´ll get an idea anyway ( I can´t remember where you said you spoke Spanish ) .

#85490 - 10/17/09 07:35 AM Re: Madrid or Malaga [Re: steve robinson]
JeanSP Offline

Wow that does sound good, I have to say I am no stranger in the kitchen, my friend owns a restaurant over here and now serves one of my own dishes as a main, and the customers love it...(red wine makes all food good..hehe)I am not familiar with foie gras, sounds interesting I will have to google that.

Yeah location is very important, which I think will be challenging to find but not impossible.

I dont speak spanish yet, I am only a week in my Spanish classes, man I feel like a grade 1 its amazing, I have a degree in journalism and I am battling with ABC's in Spanish haha...
All in good fun though

#85491 - 10/17/09 01:57 PM Re: Madrid or Malaga [Re: JeanSP]
steve robinson Offline
Executive Member

Foie Gras is basically the fattened liver of a goose ( sometimes a duck ) but the procedure is a little harsh as they force feed the goose with corn ( Maize ) . The result is like a paté but much more refined and MUCH more expensive .
Animal rights activists post images on the internet that are undoubtably distressing ... and I can´t quite explain to you the contradiction but I love eating foie gras as much as I love watching the bullfights .

#85492 - 10/17/09 02:02 PM Re: Madrid or Malaga [Re: steve robinson]
steve robinson Offline
Executive Member

Oh and we just passed by a bar today that´s up for sale in my "barrio" ( District ) ... My Peruvian flatmate was going crazy at me to check it out as a possible purchase ...
Another thing . I´m not saying that learning Spanish ( or any other language ) is easy , but one major advantage of Spanish is they follow the rules of pronunciation 100 % . Learn the rules ( pretty easy ) and you´ll be able to pronounce absolutely any Spanish word . ¡ Buena suerte ! Good luck !

#85495 - 10/18/09 10:49 AM Re: Madrid or Malaga [Re: steve robinson]
eskimo joe Offline

Loc: st cyrus , scotland
Ive thought about that too Steve , giving up the offhsore life and opening a bar in Madrid , doubt it will ever happen .
I watched Anthony Bourdian visting a Foie grass farm in France , and the geese were coming up to the farmer to be fed , they are only overfed the last 2 weeks of their life's . Not all farms will be like that, just like most of the factory farmed chickens are compltely different from free range .

#85506 - 10/21/09 04:06 AM Re: Madrid or Malaga [Re: eskimo joe]
JeanSP Offline

That sounds pretty drastic for the duck, but when in Rome do as the Romans I guess. I am willing to try anything out at least once smile

Yeah our teacher is starting us out with the correct pronunciations of words at the moment, I was lucky enough to study some basic Latin and I find it extremely similar so not doing to bad on that front, well I will only know once I start chatting to a native Spanish speaker I guess.

It will be tough purchasing a bar, I allowed myself 1 month to scope areas and bars out but I think I might leave it for 2 to be safe, it wont be my main source of income but I also do not want it to be a money hole.

Getting anxious about the whole move, wish it could happen sooner but alas life always has something thrown in the mix.

Soon very soon!!

#85508 - 10/21/09 05:34 AM Re: Madrid or Malaga [Re: JeanSP]
steve robinson Offline
Executive Member

JeanSp you make sure you give us notice of when you get to Spain .. I could predict a big lunch ..!

#85527 - 10/23/09 09:07 AM Re: Madrid or Malaga [Re: Eddie]
ladyN Offline

I think I would lean more towards Madrid... I just personally like that city better. I guess it also depends on what you're looking for in terms of bar. I think that malaga is a lot more touristy, so you would have to cater to that. Madrid would be a good option if you were looking to open something unique or different. But in both spots there is a lot of competition!

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
McTravel
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2438 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments