Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#85411 - 10/04/09 11:39 PM Xavi Chicago- Menu Ideas for Spanish Restaurant?
SuaveChicago
Unregistered

Hello Everyone,

Need your help again. I'm a MadridMan member since 2004. This website and all it's subscribers helped me to learn about Spanish culture and food without ever traveling to Madrid, Spain. I opened my first tapas restaurant in 2006 and closed it last year. I'm opening another one and need your help again. I haven't been to Spain since 2005. I need some fresh ideas for Chicago. Looking for unique concepts or popular tapas. I was the first to introduce Pintxos to Chicago and now looking to offer something new for my next restaurant. I like the ideas of putting Criadillas on the menu! or Pig Ears!
I would like to hear from you! Recommendations to websites are encouraged...
Un abrazo
Xavi

Edited by MadridMan (10/05/09 04:55 AM)
Edit Reason: to clarify topic & correct MadridMan's name

#85412 - 10/05/09 04:00 AM Re: Xavi Chicago- Menu Ideas [Re: ]
steve robinson Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Hastings Old Town , England .
Hey Xavi ,
both MM , myself and many others on this message board are passionate about Spanish food so I´ll be sending you some recommendations . Also my room mate , from Perú , lived for 10 years in Chicago ! So he´ll have some ideas too . I´ll be in contact soon .

Steve

#85413 - 10/05/09 03:24 PM Re: Xavi Chicago- Menu Ideas [Re: steve robinson]
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
For anyone who doesn't know, "Criadillas" are BULLS' TESTICLES! Hmmm.. Not sure if I could bring myself to trying those, SuaveChicago. I'd doubt many Americans would if many of them have a hard time eating fish-with-a-face! Probably the same goes for pig ears. I've never liked those either but steve robinson does.

Croquettes would be popular for sure as would the chorizo frito and any of the embutido family. Maybe even morcilla for the more adventurous. Have you considered the typical boquerones en vinagre and also frito? How about chopitos or sepia? Pulpo? Calamares? Patatas bravas and tortilla de patatas with bravas sauce?

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#85415 - 10/05/09 04:21 PM Re: Xavi Chicago- Menu Ideas [Re: MadridMan]
steve robinson Offline
Executive Member

You know , I´ve never tried Criadillas but i´d love to try it one day . I´ve never seen it on a menu here in Madrid . I agree with MM that Croquetas ( Bacalao , Jamón , y pollo ) would be great . Everybody loves croquetas ! Chorizo fried in olive oil and Asturian cider .. served with bread to soak up the juices . With the pinxos .. one of my favourites is Morcilla with roasted red peppers . I had that in Getxo , with a friend of mine from the Basque country . We also had Pinxos with Foie gras ( A little bit politically incorrect ) . Or simply Pinxos with jamón and Manchego cheese .
Orejas a la plancha ( pig´s ears ) I love ! But I guess it´d be hard to market that in Chicago .
Tortilla , which I´m pleased to say i´ve mastered , is a great favourite .. and filling .. I cook it for my family when I go back to the UK and it´s always a hit .
I agree with MM that the Boquerones al Vinaigre are superb . as are Boquerones fritos ( The best in Granada ! ) .
Mejillones con vinaigre .. Mussels on the shell with a little wine vinegar and parsley . I had those at a wonderful stand up restaurant in Burgos .
Of course , here in Madrid , one of the most famous things is " Bocadillo de Calamares " .. Squid sandwich . I love it !
And " revuelto de gambas " ..or " revuelto de setas " .. so easy to cook but sooooo good to eat !
Can you get access to piglets ? cochinillo wonderful.. my favourite thing in Spain !
Gambas al ajillo .. they get served up sizzling in oil and garlic with bread to soak up the juices .
Patatas bravas ... well .. it´s an institution .. wonderful !
Albondigas ... always good ..
And i´ll finish with Pulpo a la Gallega .. Octopus with olive oil and paprika .. amazing taste .
Steve

#85416 - 10/05/09 09:14 PM Re: Xavi Chicago- Menu Ideas [Re: steve robinson]
Kipper Offline

Loc: Nashville, TN
Stop It...You're making me really hungry for some Spanish food...
I wish we had a Spanish restaurant here...

#85417 - 10/06/09 12:00 AM Re: Xavi Chicago- Menu Ideas [Re: Kipper]
laduque Offline
Executive Member

Loc: San Diego, CA, USA
Just wondering why you closed your first restaurant, what food you did serve and if you wanted to do something different.
This summer I went to Jose Andres' new restaurant in Beverly Hills, and we ordered everything on the menu! Look up Bazaar at the SLS hotel in BV and you can check out the menu. Spent 600 dollars for 4 people, but we ate everything on the menu and it was one of the best meals of my life. All tapas style, traditional favorites were the best, like the croquetas, pisto, gambas(with a syringe of the juice from the heads). We also tried Adria style emulsions and spherifications (is it a real olive or just the essence of one?).
Some really exciting things going on in the U.S. as far as availability of authentic ingredients and the awareness of Spanish food here in the States.
Please share with us what you are doing with your restaurant, we'd love to hear all about it!

#85418 - 10/06/09 04:01 AM Re: Xavi Chicago- Menu Ideas [Re: laduque]
steve robinson Offline
Executive Member

XaviChicago ... what area of Chicago will you be opening your new restaurant ... My room mate is interested having lived there .

#85419 - 10/06/09 06:32 AM Re: Xavi Chicago- Menu Ideas [Re: steve robinson]
jazz Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid
MM !BULLS' TESTICLES! or lamb testicles, Very much cholesterol.
Know you this one? http://www.mformacion.com/gallinejas/

#85420 - 10/06/09 07:20 AM Re: Xavi Chicago- Menu Ideas [Re: jazz]
steve robinson Offline
Executive Member

Jazz . I LOVE the look of that restaurant !!!!!! I have to go there !

#85422 - 10/06/09 06:59 PM Re: Xavi Chicago- Menu Ideas [Re: steve robinson]
laduque Offline
Executive Member

OMG, that restaurant is right up the street from my suegros' place!!!! I always walk by it and my hubby says he's never ever eaten there and isn't interested! Steve Robinson, when I go back next summer, you and I will try it, vale?

#85424 - 10/07/09 03:47 AM Re: Xavi Chicago- Menu Ideas [Re: laduque]
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Jazz, that place, Gallinejas Embajadores 84 looks great! My kind of place, too.

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#85425 - 10/07/09 04:35 AM Re: Xavi Chicago- Menu Ideas [Re: MadridMan]
steve robinson Offline
Executive Member

Ok MM .. we´re going . Name the date and time !!!!

#85426 - 10/07/09 06:06 AM Re: Xavi Chicago- Menu Ideas [Re: MadridMan]
jazz Offline
Executive Member

Gallinejas or you like them or you hate them, I hate them, to my only I like the mollejas. GOOD APPETITE AND LUCK

#85427 - 10/07/09 06:24 AM Re: Xavi Chicago- Menu Ideas [Re: jazz]
jazz Offline
Executive Member

I prefer the hunger to the smell of gallinejas, ufffffffff..

#85436 - 10/08/09 10:42 PM Re: Xavi Chicago- Menu Ideas [Re: jazz]
laduque Offline
Executive Member

Juan, the hubby, says that place is a neighborhood institution...

Hey STeve, HHHEEEELLLLOOOO!!!! I suggested we go, i know that you won't wait till summer to try it, so give us a full report!

#85442 - 10/09/09 12:39 PM Re: Xavi Chicago- Menu Ideas [Re: laduque]
steve robinson Offline
Executive Member

Laduque . I´ll definitely tell you about this place . Just got to get a date fixed with MM .

#85496 - 10/18/09 10:03 PM Re: Xavi Chicago- Menu Ideas [Re: MadridMan]
Xavi Chicago
Unregistered

Thanks for the recommendations and ideas. You are right Madrid Man some of my tapa suggestion are little adventurous or aggressive but I do think Chicago is ready. Most restaurants here serve the typical tapas. I want to introduce other popular dishes aswell tapas from different regions that nobody is doing. I was the first to introduce Pintxos and Basque cooking back in 2006. Now, I want to introduce tapas nobody is doing. Jose Andres is my chef idol. For example, "calamares en su tinta" y "angulas" were a big hit for us. I notice your website you don't like "tinta" which is ok. A menu is broken down to staple tapas but then you have to have tapas that seperates you from the rest. I wish I had to fly to Madrid....My restaurant will be in Lincoln Park (north of Chicago)

#85497 - 10/18/09 10:15 PM Re: Xavi Chicago- Menu Ideas [Re: steve robinson]
Xavi Chicago
Unregistered

Hi Steve,

Thanks for your response. As I mention to Madrid Man Chicago is ready. It's a big foodie town and growing. I like th orejas a la plancha! That's what I'm looking for. All of the other tapas I did and will have but I need those few tapas that will seperate you from the rest!!!!! I could tell you though that we are not ready for "molecular gastronomy" in Chicago. You put foam on food and diners are confused and some disgusted. Yes, in fine dining it works but not your average bar. For example, I recently saw a recipe for "Shrimp Fritters or Pancakes" now that is cool. I believe it's popular in Andalucia, not sure if there in Madrid. Another thing I'm exploring are serving platters or raciones. Tapas are expensive and diners are not being very receptive becaus expensive and the best in a recession. Diners are dining out less and looking for value. ANy good "parrilladas"?

#85498 - 10/19/09 05:48 AM Re: Xavi Chicago- Menu Ideas [Re: ]
steve robinson Offline
Executive Member

XaviChicago ... how did you get hold of the angulas !! So incredibly expensive like percebes ( which I love ! ) . Are you on facebook ? I always upload my food photos there .. We were out yesterday and had gread Bocadillos de Morcilla , Bocadillos de Tortilla , Huevos Rotos , and Calamares a la Romana .. We were sitting on a terrce of a Peruvian run restaurant ..in the sunshine .. with some good Spanish white wine .
By the way I LOVE Calamares in their tinta .
Actually I´m going back to the UK for Halloween and Guy Fawkes night .. meeting up at my mum´s house and with my brother and his family from Russia .. My 3 young nieces always like to try new food and I always organise a big Spanish evening ( I love cooking ) ... This time I´ll be intoducing them to Arroz Negro with seafood ... They´re going to love it !

#85501 - 10/20/09 01:07 AM Re: Xavi Chicago- Menu Ideas [Re: steve robinson]
Xavi Chicago
Unregistered

Yes, angulas are here in the states. As a matter of fact, percebes are also now available. I believe www.latienda.com or www.despanabrandfoods.com . Yes, I'm on facebook. I will thru you since I can't be in Madrid.

Xavi

#85502 - 10/20/09 07:48 AM Re: Xavi Chicago- Menu Ideas [Re: ]
steve robinson Offline
Executive Member

Xavi Chicago .. This is maybe a repeat from a previous thread , but I was recently on vacation with family in Tamariu ( A Catalan town on the coast ) . I had an amazing meal there , overlooking the beach . "Navalles a la Planxa " ( Razorfish on the grill , and Xipirons ( baby squid ) , and completely fantastic was "Llamànto a la planxa o gratinat amb all-i-oli " Lobster cooked with a cheese , garlic and oil sauce ... Incredible ! Gradually I´m learning the Catalan language .

#85590 - 10/26/09 10:59 PM Re: Xavi Chicago- Menu Ideas [Re: steve robinson]
la historiadora Offline
Executive Member

XaviChicago,
It was a shame that your restaurant Haro closed as the food and design were very good. I don't know if the location had something to do with it, but that may have contributed to it. If so, Lincoln Park will be a much better location for your new venture. However, there are already three Spanish restaurants in Lincoln Park (Eivissa in Old Town, Emilio's and Cafe Ba-Ba-Reeba!). Your new concept will have to be pretty unique to compete with those three places.

As for molecular gastronomy, I assume you're referring to Eivissa. As you wrote, people are ready to embrace molecular gastronomy in Chicago in fine dining. Just look at the popularity of Alinea, which has been voted one of the best restaurants in the world. In my opinion, Eivissa does not execute this technique well and therefore people didn't like it. Also, Eivissa has a lot of other problems (such as poor service and running out of items on the menu) that need be resolved.

There is a new Spanish restaurant in the West Loop (Pasha), so that might be a place to watch to see what they do and if they do it well. Buena suerte!

#85698 - 11/12/09 06:00 PM Re: Xavi Chicago- Menu Ideas [Re: la historiadora]
Shannon McDonough Offline

Loc: Minneapolis, MN USA
Ooh, it's great to read about Spanish places in Chicago, as it's much closer to me, and I try to get there at least once a year. Good luck, Xavi. I look forward to hearing more about your new venture!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments