Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#85283 - 09/19/09 04:15 PM Madrid at Christmas...not to be!
laduque Offline
Executive Member

Loc: San Diego, CA, USA
Well, friends...2 things...
We didn't go to Spain this past summer because of hubby going back to school (he's going to be a teacher). So we agreed to go at Christmas, good compromise, BUT...yesterday we decided to postpone and take a really long summer break in Madrid NEXT summer instead. It just makes more sense to go for a longer period of time. I am sooo very sad that it will be 2 years without my beloved Spain. My daughter needs to see her abuelos and this is the longest we will have ever gone without travelling.
So my MM friends, please keep posting so I can get my dose of all things Spain, while I wait out the next 10 months...

On another note, British Airways is having a wicked sale right now! We could have gotten tickets from LA to Madrid for about 500 dollars round trip...Unfortunately, with a teacher schedule, I just can't go any of the times that were available. Maybe some of you can take advantage of it!

Happy and safe travels to my MM friends, and I'll see some of you in 2010 in Madrid!

#85284 - 09/20/09 10:28 AM Re: Madrid at Christmas...not to be! [Re: laduque]
steve robinson Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Hastings Old Town , England .
Some of you guys may not be aware of this , but I was shocked and angry .
If you take a flight lasting less than 2 and a half hours on British Airways ( such as London to Madrid ) you will not be given anything to eat ( just a bag of nuts ) . They say it will save them $35 million a year .
When I flew to London a few weeks ago I actually spoke to the cabin crew at the back of the plane to ask what was going on and they "secretly" said thay were embarrased by the change .They were very open about that too and we had a 10 minute conversation .
The crazy think is that they had no problem providing me with a couple of mini bottles of white wine !! Where is the logic in this decision . Serve alcohol but no food !!
On top of that , BA are expensive compared to other carriers .
It´s a shame bjut I´ll be using someone else next time .
Ok ... Rant over and done with .

Edited by steve robinson (09/20/09 10:31 AM)

#85285 - 09/20/09 10:42 AM Re: Madrid at Christmas...not to be! [Re: steve robinson]
Daniel-Madrid Offline

Loc: Madrid
Steve, it has been this way for a while now. In fact, i think BA were one of the last to stop; Iberia stopped doing this long ago.

I have never liked flying BA on short-haul flights, they are just terrible. Everything from the moment of check-in to getting your baggage at the destination is just a disaster.
I fly easyJet now everytime I go to the UK, I don't even look at other carriers. I like the no-nonsense approach, and I have always had great service and cheap flights.

However, flying long-haul they are unbeatable - I don't understand why that is the case though.

#85287 - 09/21/09 01:08 AM Re: Madrid at Christmas...not to be! [Re: Daniel-Madrid]
laduque Offline
Executive Member

Long haul flights are great! London to Madrid is horrid! They switch from 2 check in bags on Long haul, to 1 check in from London to Madrid and it makes no sense... How they don't honor your whole trip and treat you like a totally different customer from London on is beyond me. They have lost our luggage 4 out of the last 5 vacations. Though we have miles with them and have taken two free trips is why we still fly with them. The non stop from the West Coast to London can't be beat either.

btw, Steve, don't use my post to complain!!!! I wanted you to feel bad instead that we can't hang out until next summer!!!!

#85292 - 09/21/09 05:26 AM Re: Madrid at Christmas...not to be! [Re: laduque]
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Ahhh.... laduque, I'm very sad to hear it'll be another, what, 10 or 11 months 'til I/we see you again here in Madrid?! But, on the possible UPside, we'll see you more frequently when you're here NEXT summer - UNLESS WE'RE on vacation/holiday, that is.

Best of luck to you and, OF COURSE, to your husband in becoming a teacher. He'll work HARD for those summer/Christmas vacations free.

Apart from Spain-related discussion, what could WE do to help you feel closer to the Iberian Peninsula? What would you like to see here on the message board or on MadridMan.com - or on the internet in general?

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#85297 - 09/21/09 11:01 PM Re: Madrid at Christmas...not to be! [Re: MadridMan]
laduque Offline
Executive Member

I LOVE your blogs!!! Keep writing! And to all, please post about interesting new finds in Madrid, like restaurants, eating experiences, cultural festivals and general news. I have TVE and MadridMan board to keep me connected.
I am starting to get excited about waiting till summer so we can have more time to relax. With a 5 year old in tow, 2 weeks at Christmas is just too hectic.

Steve, are you back in Madrid now?

Edited by MadridMan (09/22/09 03:58 AM)
Edit Reason: include link

#85298 - 09/22/09 04:00 AM Re: Madrid at Christmas...not to be! [Re: laduque]
Daniel-Madrid Offline

Loc: Madrid
La Duque, if you have a 5 year old then you *must* stay for the parade on the 5th of January :-)

#85304 - 09/22/09 10:39 PM Re: Madrid at Christmas...not to be! [Re: Daniel-Madrid]
laduque Offline
Executive Member

Yes Daniel, that was our original plan, to spend las navidades in Madrid, so she could be apart of los Reyes festivities. I wanted the roscon con nata myself.
Next summer then...thinking about starting the Camino de Santiago and leaving little one with los abuelos. Not the whole camino, but do it in parts, each summer. Mis cunados are doing just that, a little every summer and they look forward to it.
What do you think?

#85309 - 09/23/09 03:49 PM Re: Madrid at Christmas...not to be! [Re: laduque]
steve robinson Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Hastings Old Town , England .
I´m off to England for christmas Laduque but , you never know , maybe they´ll be a few days crossover . I´d love to see you again .

#85310 - 09/24/09 01:15 AM Re: Madrid at Christmas...not to be! [Re: steve robinson]
laduque Offline
Executive Member

NO Steve, not gonna be there for Christmas at all. Saving our pennies and miles for a lllooooonnnngggg summer in Spain. I see terrazas and copas and amigos in Plaza Santa Ana in my future!!!

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments