Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#85226 - 09/04/09 02:29 AM Best Hostals in Madrid?
Donna Cuervo Offline

Loc: New York, NY
What are some of the best (meaning really nice) hostals in Madrid?

#85227 - 09/04/09 03:16 AM Re: Best Hostals in Madrid? [Re: Donna Cuervo]
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Hi Donna Cuervo! wave

If, by hostals you mean hostales (because the word hostals doesn't exist in English or Spanish - only in the catalán language - it's more Spanglish than anything but, unfortunately, very commonly used), the two nicest hostales in Madrid are the Hostal Adriano near Puerta del Sol and their sister-hostal Hostal Adria Santa Ana near the Plaza de Santa Ana. These two places are, by far, the nicest hostales in Madrid and the latter even better than the first.

Other hostales in Madrid are more typical & basic - but also much cheaper.

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#85235 - 09/06/09 01:03 AM Re: Best Hostals in Madrid? [Re: MadridMan]
Donna Cuervo Offline

"If by hostals you mean hostales (because the word hostals doesn't exist in English or Spanish"

I know that, but since I wasn't writing on the Spanish section of the message board, why get fancy? It's actually not Spanglish either. I doubt you guys from Ohio are exposed to much Spanglish.

About the hostalEs, they do look nice. Why do you say the Adria is better?

Edited by Donna Cuervo (09/06/09 01:04 AM)

#85238 - 09/06/09 01:12 PM Re: Best Hostals in Madrid? [Re: Donna Cuervo]
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Just trying to be correct and to educate those traveling to Spain (it's been a 1-man quest of mine with a losing trajectory). To be perfectly clear, the Spanish tourism board translates the Spanish word "hostales" to the English word "hostels" - which causes a lot of confusion to English speakers. Our English word "Hostels" is actually an abbreviated version of the term "YOUTH hostels" - which has nothing to do with "hostales". And when they translate the English term "Youth Hostels" to Spanish, it's "Albergues Juveniles" - or just "Albergues". They, the Spanish, never refer to "hostels" as "youth hostels" beecause, to them, "hostels" are "hostales" - and certainly not "hostals". We English speakers have unfortunately decided to remove the "E" in "hostales" to make it more English-sounding/looking.

Hostal Adria Santa Ana is the better of the two because it's fancier and newer. No expense was spared in its construction and design. The only down side to this one is that there's no elevator and it's on the top floor (and no bellboy).

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#85247 - 09/07/09 01:40 AM Re: Best Hostals in Madrid? [Re: MadridMan]
Donna Cuervo Offline

I see what you're saying. The whole hostal concept is confusing to a lot of people who assume you're talking about youth hostels. When I was a travel agent and had clients who wanted to go to Spain inexpensively, I used to suggest these establishments, and the people would recoil in horror as though I was sending them to sleep in a barracks like they were in the army.

Sometimes even after a lot of explaining and showing them pictures of nice places in brochures, they still thought it was a student thing.

Of course, once they actually stayed in one of these hostales and paid a low rate, they were converted for life and returned to Spain repeatedly staying in hostales in every city they visited.

Obviously in this kind of conversation, I didn't dare to say hostales. It would sound too pretentious - like one of those people who drops French words into every sentence for no reason. I just used hostals as the plural not to scare them away. You know how these Americans are. crazy

Edited by Donna Cuervo (09/07/09 01:53 AM)

#85251 - 09/07/09 03:00 PM Re: Best Hostals in Madrid? [Re: Donna Cuervo]
steve robinson Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Hastings Old Town , England .
I´ve stayed in hostales many times in Spain and Portugal and whilst they don´t have the facilities of a hotel , they are cheap , clean and have private bathrooms . I always say to my friends ( many who are traders in the financial markets ) that really you just need cleanliness . How much time to you spend in that room ? Just to sleep and take a shower .
On the flip side , here in Madrid there are beautiful hotels but you´ll pay huge amounts of money .
Also saying "hostales" shouldn´t seem pretentious ! It´s the correct word ! When I go to England I pronounce the names of Spanish cities as they should be pronounced , not as the English want to hear it .
Anyway enjoy España !!!

#85253 - 09/10/09 03:15 PM Re: Best Hostals in Madrid? [Re: steve robinson]
pedmar Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Morbihan, France
Hostal La Plata, gran via 15 is my all time favorite hostales in all of Spain,then Venta Magullo in Segovia (Ctra Soria). Nice places and these are better than most hotels ,price being equal.

Edited by MadridMan (09/12/09 11:53 AM)
Edit Reason: include link

#85257 - 09/13/09 04:24 AM Re: Best Hostals in Madrid? [Re: pedmar]
leonardo17 Offline

Loc: Dortmund/Germany
Hostal la Macarena, Cave Miguel, 8 is a great location, too. It's a nice and comfortable place near Plaza Mayor. I have been there about 20 times. Very friendly owner and staff.

Saludos de Alemania!

#85259 - 09/13/09 08:00 AM Re: Best Hostals in Madrid? [Re: leonardo17]
steve robinson Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Hastings Old Town , England .
Oh , I´ve never heard of that place Madrid1986 .... Sounds very interesting and worth investigating ... I love the name ! I was recently in Sevilla and we stayed in the La Macarena district and visited the church dedicated to La Macarena , infront of our hotel . I´m not religious at all , but I loved the image of her . The church itself is beautiful !

#85280 - 09/17/09 02:47 PM Re: Best Hostals in Madrid? [Re: steve robinson]
Donna Cuervo Offline

Steve, how is the Macarena area to stay in Seville? I'll be there for a week in November, and I'm trying to decide where to stay. The exchange rate being what it is, I don't want to spend more than I have to.

I got an opportunity to book the Tryp Macarena at about 40 euros a night. While that's a good deal, I remember being in that area to visit the Macarena church, and I didn't notice that much else of interest around. While I like the idea of staying at a 4* comfortable place for such a cheap price, I usually stay in a small hotel in or near Barrio Santa Cruz and I'm wondering if staying in a big corporate hotel full of tour groups and businessmen in an unfamiliar area will kill the whole ambiance of Seville for me.

What do you think? Where did you stay in the Macarena area, and how did you like the area?

#85290 - 09/21/09 05:11 AM Re: Best Hostals in Madrid? [Re: Donna Cuervo]
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

I too have always read good reviews about Hostal La Macarena next door to Madrid's Plaza Mayor. It's a beautiful building, too! They used to have a website but I don't think one exists anymore. From what I remember, it was VERY nice/traditional and recently renovated inside. CAN'T get any more central than that, either.

Saludos, MadridMan

#85349 - 09/27/09 05:46 AM Re: Best Hostals in Madrid? [Re: MadridMan]
leonardo17 Offline

Loc: Dortmund/Germany
Hi MadridMan,

their website is http://www.silserranos.com/ and it still works.

Saludos de Alemania

#85360 - 09/27/09 02:02 PM Re: Best Hostals in Madrid? [Re: leonardo17]
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Excellent! Thanks, Madrid1986! I'll replace it on the Madrid Hostels & Hostales de Madrid pages of MadridMan.com. thumbsup

Saludos, MadridMan

#85364 - 09/27/09 03:57 PM Re: Best Hostals in Madrid? [Re: MadridMan]
spike1
Unregistered

Ive stayed at the Hostal Lopez on many occasions in the past and have really enjoyed my stay there, quite lively street. However it seems a little pricey now, i may be out of touch a little.
Nice clean friendly place. grin

Edited by MadridMan (09/28/09 04:16 AM)
Edit Reason: include hostel link

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Clay, hobag
Who's Online
0 registered (), 989 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments