Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#85200 - 08/31/09 01:09 PM Phones for traveling in Spain
Rodolfo Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Stockton,Ca.
I'd like to share a story here about cell phones for use in Spain, or Europe, that might be of some help for some.

The last few times my wife and I have visited Spain, we've rented a global phone for a possible emergency back home. In case something goes wrong in the states, we'd like for someone to be able to contact us. (We've been renting a flat and not a hotel so you can't just ring us up)

We've been renting our phone through Verizon, our cell provider. The Euro phone gets mailed to us a day or 2 before we leave and it's the same phone number as our existing cell.

Well... yesterday we went on line to order it only to discover that the program will end at the end of the month. (Verizon and Vodaphone will no longer be working in conjunction)

So my wife calls Verizon to say WTF. Luckily for us it worked out EVEN BETTER than we could have imagined. I was eligible for a new phone up-grade and the new phone is a global phone. To top it off, with a rebate and my wife's company discount w/Verizon, we got the phone FOR FREE.

The phone rental was about $70.00 plus calls.

Worked out great. We will never have to rent a phone again! We just call Verizon to tell them when we'll be out of the country and that's that.

So the next time you think about upgrading your phones, make sure it's a global phone.

How very convenient. Hope this can help.

P.S
The phone comes with an adapter for other countrys as well

Edited by Rodolfo (08/31/09 01:12 PM)

#85201 - 08/31/09 02:02 PM Re: Phones for traveling in Spain [Re: Rodolfo]
Daniel-Madrid Offline

Loc: Madrid
Is this a tri-band phone that you are referring to? I ask because my mobile has always worked when I have gone to the US. Or are you referring to a different type of phone?

#85202 - 08/31/09 03:31 PM Re: Phones for traveling in Spain [Re: Daniel-Madrid]
Rodolfo Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Stockton,Ca.
Hi Daniel!

I'm not very tech-savy. All I really know is that it works outside the U.S. but here's a link for the phone. I hope it has the right info you want.

http://www.samsung.com/us/consumer/detai...=SCH-U810GNAVZW

#85204 - 08/31/09 04:52 PM Re: Phones for traveling in Spain [Re: Rodolfo]
Daniel-Madrid Offline

Loc: Madrid
Quad-band actually!

"Quad Band +850/900/1800/1900mHz GSM"

Basically, this phone will work in all countries, and should switch automatically between the frequencies when you turn it on.

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments