Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#84903 - 07/19/09 03:58 AM Russia ...
steve robinson Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Hastings Old Town , England .
FREQUENT visits to Russia? Sturgeon soup!

I was in Moscow and Leningrad once in the 1970s. It was very interesting, but the food was not for me. In those days you had to go with a group and eat at the same table in the same seat everyday. Everyone had the same meal.

Once I changed my seat to sit near younger people, and it was a huge issue. I was sent back to my assigned seat for no reason that made any sense.

We went to a real restaurant one time, but they didn't have anything available on the printed menu. We walked in and all the staff ran into the back, and nobody approached us. Finally we seated outselves, and they keep peeking at us from the back. Nobody came over to us until about an hour, and then they told us they only had chicken. Very weird experience.

I suppose these cities are very different now, and I really should go back just to see the difference. I hear that Moscow is the most expensive city in the world. What is that about? Why is it so expensive?

My boss from my last job was there when all the changes were happening. He was touring in Moscow and a few other cities with the singer Billy Joel who was doing one of the first rock concerts by a foreigner. They had an amazing time.

Reply from Steve :

Donna .. Iīve been to Russia about 17 or 18 times between 1996 until the present day . My brother lives in Moscow ( and spent 2 years in St. Petersburg ) . He met his Russian wife in 1997 whilst working over there and he never returned to England . They now have 3 adorable daughters ( Iīm biased of course ! ) rangeing from 13 to 6 years old .
He has an extremely good lifestyle out there ... But there is a complete gap between the very rich and the very poor . Nothing inbetween .
Weīve been to some of the most spectacular restaurants in Moscow , at least €120 each person and had the abuelas ( Babushki ) staring at us through the windows . Itīs heartbreaking sometimes but " cosas de la vida " .
One time when I was walking through Red Square with my mum , it started to rain so we ran towards the beautiful Balshung Kempinski hotel . We ordered a Cappucino and a Gin and tonic ... I think it cost me something like €30 !!
So , yes , Moscow can be very expensive .
If you walk down the famous Tverskaya Ulitsa , itīs nothing but Versace , Ferraris , Gucci etc....
You know in London there is a very famous jewellers called " Asprey " .. Their biggest customers are Russians !
I studied Russian at college and had always wanted to visit , so when my brother moved there I was soooo happy .
I love the country , the people and the culture ..Imagine a country with 12 time zones ... Thatīs immense .
I guess when you went in the 70s everthing was organised by "Intourist" .. Where theyīd have their people following you to make sure you didnīt stray off the "official" path .
My uncle ( A doctor of languages ) was there when Stalin was in power !! He tells some great stories to my nieces and even sings them the Russian songs from that era .
I am actually trying to arrange another journey with my Peruvian room mate . The visas are a nightmare .
Nice to talk to you Donna ,

Steve

#84929 - 07/22/09 06:07 AM Re: Russia ... [Re: steve robinson]
Donna Cuervo Offline

Loc: New York, NY
Steve,

I had to go through Intourist. Although we had guides during the day, we tended to go on our own in the evening. Some of the tour members spoke Russian, and we found our way to jazz clubs and all over the metro. We met people, but a lot of the time people were hesitant to talk to us. It was a very interesting experience.

A few years later I went to all the eastern bloc countries on my own by myself.

For awhile I worked for a travel agency in a New York neighborhood with a lot of Russian people. Many had very little opportunity to travel during the Soviet era, and it was amazing working with them. They were usually only interested in beach destinations with all inclusive meal plans.

I get a lot of Russian customers at the store where I work now. They seem divided between the seemingly very wealthy and those who are trying to get things for the lowest possible price.

There are very many Russians in New York now, and their neighborhoods look like Russian towns. Everything is in Russian.

#84932 - 07/22/09 04:28 PM Re: Russia ... [Re: Donna Cuervo]
steve robinson Offline
Executive Member

Donna ... Iīve been to New York City quite a few times since 1990 .. the last time was maybe 2003 . The last tim . me and my friend rented an apartment in Bleeker Street . It was great . But we took the subway upto Coney island and I donīt recall the name of the Russian neighbourhood there ...( Brighton Beach ? ) But it was amazing . We went to a restaurant and everybody spoke Russian .
El mundo es un paņuelo , no ? I love the sense of being cosmoplitan , but will fiercely defend cultural borders ...In Europe I love travelling between Spain , UK , France , Germany , Belgium etc... and enjoying different cultures . Food , language , history etc ...

#84944 - 07/25/09 03:55 AM Re: Russia ... [Re: steve robinson]
Donna Cuervo Offline

It probably was Brighton Beach, but there are many other Russian areas now in Brooklyn and also in Queens. Has your sister in law been to the Russian neighborhoods in New York? She'd probably find it very amusing.

Coney Island is a little rundown now. When I was a kid they had some really nice things there. The parachute jump was operational then. Now it just stands there like the Eiffel Tower of Brooklyn. Hopefully they'll get it working again someday. Steeplechase Park was an old fashioned amusement park with a lot of rides you didn't see anywhere else. Sadly, they tore it down to put up new buildings. That was really a sin.

You must have had a great time on Bleeker Street. I didn't realize there was much holiday apartment rental in New York City. Getting an apartment for real is a huge effort and expense.

Edited by Donna Cuervo (07/25/09 04:01 AM)

#84959 - 07/27/09 02:45 AM Re: Russia ... [Re: Donna Cuervo]
steve robinson Offline
Executive Member

My sister in law has never been to the USA ... Iīll be seeing her , my brother , and my 3 nieces in a weeks time .. in a beautiful town on the Costa Brava .

Coney Island is rundown but I loved it ! For a visitor ( and iīve been to NYC many times ) itīs amazing to see the beach in the city .

Iīve stayed with friends in Greenwich ( Connecticut ) .. and the beach was amazing ! Just a short train journey from Manhattan .

The apartment on Bleeker st. was great fun .. but when we arrived ( for thanksgiving ) the "portero " didīnt speak English and denied any knowledge of us hiring an apartment . Me and my friend went to a diner and returned an hour and a half later and , like magic , heīd found the keys . Welcome to NYC !! Hehehehe .

I love NYC ..... though I guess being European , I feel more at home in Madrid .
Steve

#84969 - 07/29/09 02:45 AM Re: Russia ... [Re: steve robinson]
Donna Cuervo Offline

NYC has been full of European visitors the past year. Some actually come for only a weekend.

#85114 - 08/20/09 07:39 AM Re: Russia ... [Re: Donna Cuervo]
steve robinson Offline
Executive Member

Donna , the difference is that this guy was working in NYC but could hardly speak English .. That I found strange .
When I first went to NYC in 1990 ( I think ) I had to order a cab to take me to ghe World Trade Centre towers ... My office was on the 43rd floor .. The driver , who was Indian ( Sikh ) didnīt know where the towers were... I had to say to him " Itīs downtown .. financial district " ...
I had to take a taxi from the Port Authority bus station to my hotel and the cab tried to leave with my luggage still in the trunk .. I had to run after the taxi and bang the side of the door for him to stop .
But I LOVE NYC ... A great city !
Steve .

#85137 - 08/23/09 02:28 AM Re: Russia ... [Re: steve robinson]
Donna Cuervo Offline

That must have been crazy running after the taxi.

There are actually a lot of people who live and work in NYC who don't speak English. They seem to manage just fine.

#85149 - 08/25/09 07:29 AM Re: Russia ... [Re: Donna Cuervo]
steve robinson Offline
Executive Member

It was strange for me , Donna , because in London ( my city ) every taxi driver is required to take a test called "the knowledge" . They have to know every street in London . .... thatīs hugely difficult ! If you get into a cab in London they will know exactly where you need to go .

#85168 - 08/27/09 03:12 PM Re: Russia ... [Re: steve robinson]
Jim Costello Offline

Loc: New York City
Hi Steve, New York City now requires taxi drivers to take a written test on important places and streets. Probably in 1990 the city didn't have tests for drivers. The taxi drivers now in New York City are good. Hope your father will be feeling better soon.
Saludos,

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments