Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#84936 - 07/23/09 08:27 PM Re: Renfe [Re: MadridMan]
doragil30 Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania
MM, why do you feel the Sepulvedana is better than the AVE to Segovia? I was thinking of buying AVE tickets online (although I understand navigating the site is a nightmare), I liked the idea of arriving in 1/2 hr. Is it easy to get from the train station to the town center/aqueducts? How long does the bus take, and do you feel it's more convenient?

#84939 - 07/24/09 03:22 AM Re: Renfe [Re: doragil30]
steve robinson Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Hastings Old Town , England .
I don´t think the AVE goes to Segovia ... just regular trains ( Cercanías ) . Ok last time I went to Segovia I used Sepulvedana from the bus station in Paseo de Florida . I HATE buses , but this was quite comfortable ( and cheap ) .
I understand that the train journey takes something like 30 minutes longer than the bus as it stops at all the stations on the way .
The bus journey is about 1 and a half hours ... The train journey is 2 hours . Segovia is 90km from Madrid .
The bus station is probably only 500 metres or so from the centre ... I would just grab a taxi and ask the driver to take you to the cathedral . It will be pretty cheap and , more importantly , relaxed .

#84947 - 07/26/09 01:30 PM Re: Renfe [Re: Denise 2009]
Rob in Madrid Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid
I don't have the details off hand but there is now a high speed train to Segovia, a friend posted about the trip on his blog, but I can't seem to find the link, if I do I post it but I do remember it being about 30 mins to get there.

#84950 - 07/26/09 05:23 PM Re: Renfe [Re: Rob in Madrid]
steve robinson Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Hastings Old Town , England .
Rob , I´d really love to know about that . I LOVE Segovia .

#84953 - 07/26/09 08:35 PM Re: Renfe [Re: steve robinson]
doragil30 Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania
There is definitely an AVE train that goes to Segovia & gets there in 30 min. You can see the schedule on the Renfe website. But I don't think it leaves you close to the city center. From what I understand, you can take a bus or taxi into town.

#84961 - 07/27/09 12:26 PM Re: Renfe [Re: doragil30]
pedmar Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Morbihan, France
If I take public transport which try to avoid, I preferred a bus; makes feel closely to the places i past by, and its more central, the train does leave you outside town;need a bus to come to city center.

#84978 - 07/29/09 12:19 PM Re: Renfe [Re: pedmar]
Rob in Madrid Offline
Executive Member

Your right, the train leaves you quite a distance from the old city, if I remember correctly the bus station is much closer.

#85023 - 08/02/09 04:58 PM Re: Renfe [Re: Rob in Madrid]
sallyanne Offline
Executive Member

If you get the Ave to Segovia you will need to get a taxi to the aqueduct.

#85040 - 08/05/09 06:47 AM Re: Renfe [Re: MadridMan]
Denise 2009 Offline

Loc: Ontario Canada (ex Toledo, Ohi...
I wonder...what is the real difference between tourista and preferente? I've also found the web/star (estelle) price site! Lots cheaper.
Also, three stations are listed for Madrid - should I pick the one with the (*) by it??

#85041 - 08/05/09 06:57 AM Re: Renfe [Re: Denise 2009]
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Originally Posted By Denise 2009
I wonder...what is the real difference between tourista and preferente?

Preferente is like business class. If it travels during a mealtime they'll give you a meal, the seats are a little larger and a little more comfortable, a little more legroom too. I got preferente once just to try it, got the (included) breakfast and asked myself, "Was this breakfast really worth the extra 40 Euros?" Answer: No.

But the tourist class is perfectly fine for me. There's always enough rump and leg room for my tall body. And even in tourist class they (usually, for longer trips) offer movies on the monitor - in Spanish - and they give you headphones for free.

I've also found the web/star (estelle) price site! Lots cheaper.

Well don't keep us in suspense! What's this web/star website address??!!

Also, three stations are listed for Madrid - should I pick the one with the (*) by it??

Yes. But chances are excellent you'll leave out of Atocha - or at least be able to board in Atocha and then, possibly, pass through Chamartin Station depending on your destination.

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
mencey, Mirthmantis
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2924 Guests and 10 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments