Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#85069 - 08/10/09 10:22 AM Man Bag: Do you know what that is?
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
I'm considering writing a blog entry on this topic.

UPDATE: Read "The European "Man Bag" Carry All" blog entry.

Do you know what that is? There was a Seinfeld episode based on the topic but, as you may or not realize, men commonly carry day-bags or "Man Bags" on their person to tote along their sun glasses, prescription glasses, mobile phones and/or PDAs, wallets, and whatever else they may have to carry around which won't fit securely in their front and back pockets without causing unsightly bulges. (like we need more!)

Men in the USA would NEVER carry such things but they're quite common here in Spain among the young and old.

What do YOU think abou them??

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#85070 - 08/10/09 11:03 AM Re: Man Bag: Do you know what that is? [Re: MadridMan]
gazpacho Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Macomb, MI U.S.
Ufff.

I wouldn't be caught dead with one. If it don't fit in my pockets, I don't need it.

But I remember them worn about he waist. I can't remember if I've ever seen one here in the States. If I did it would be in a place like Disney World.

Just because I wouldn't wear one, I've nothing against another of my sex wearing one. Although it does summon images of the new castrate. blush smile

#85071 - 08/10/09 12:12 PM Re: Man Bag: Do you know what that is? [Re: gazpacho]
Daniel-Madrid Offline

Loc: Madrid
they are veeeeerrrryyyy popular here, along with those bagsman-hand that older blokes have (mariconeras)

#85072 - 08/10/09 01:26 PM Re: Man Bag: Do you know what that is? [Re: Daniel-Madrid]
gazpacho Offline
Executive Member

I would suspect so much in Barcelona, where I've seen some very strange sights in there parks, but please tell me that it's not so in Madrid!?!?!? cry

#85073 - 08/10/09 01:38 PM Re: Man Bag: Do you know what that is? [Re: gazpacho]
Daniel-Madrid Offline

bagsman-hand????? what on earth did i write there? I meant to say "mans handbags"

#85074 - 08/10/09 02:56 PM Re: Man Bag: Do you know what that is? [Re: Daniel-Madrid]
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Daniel-Madrid, you're referring to these below:

These in the photo are obviously today's style but new. The ones of these I've seen in the streets, only carried by old men, are also made of well-worn leather and do also have the wrist strap.

Those worn by today's males are these below:

Some of my more homophobic United Statesen friends sometimes tell me, "You wear that thing back here and I won't be seen with you!"

Got more comments? Feel free to leave them with "The European Man Bag" blog entry too. Thanks!

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#85075 - 08/10/09 03:28 PM Re: Man Bag: Do you know what that is? [Re: MadridMan]
Daniel-Madrid Offline

yeah, those are the ones i was referring to. they are called "mariconeras". but, i see people with the ones in the bottom pictures all the time. In fact, i went onsite with a client today and noticed that almost every guy who walked into the department was carrying one, young and old. funny you should blog about it because i noticed their proliferance this morning!

#85076 - 08/10/09 06:44 PM Re: Man Bag: Do you know what that is? [Re: Daniel-Madrid]
gazpacho Offline
Executive Member

Actually MM and Daniel,

Those aren't quite the ones that I remember. The ones I remember had a waistband and a contoured bottom and a flip top like those. And they were made of a nylon-type material like a knapsack, I think. The ones in your picture must be the more modern type.

I'm not that homophobic. I think I had some friends that wore them when they were popular. Didn't bother me.

Gazpacho

#85077 - 08/11/09 05:34 AM Re: Man Bag: Do you know what that is? [Re: gazpacho]
billy the man Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Bolton England
over here in the UK these bags are known as "Bum Bags" dont ask me why (they are also called another name which i cannot print on here in case of offence) even though its a rude word in England thats what they are called.
if you went out in town with one the stick you would get would be terrible, although they are popular in seaside resorts its not something you do in your local area.
as gazpacho says if it dont fit in the pocket i dont need it
if i do my wife carries stuff in her handbag
not my scene im afraid

#85078 - 08/11/09 05:54 AM Re: Man Bag: Do you know what that is? [Re: billy the man]
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

But aren't BOTH the hand-held bags AND the over-the-shoulder strapped bags called (this horrible term) "Mariconeras" - or is it just the hand-held bags? It's my understanding that both are commonly called that but I'm not sure.

Saludos, MadridMan

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments