Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#85035 - 08/04/09 07:40 AM 3G Phone plans
madridmanjim Offline

Loc: Northern Spain
I just brought back an iPhone from the States. Now I am looking for the best 3G plan available. My thought is basically to avoid a traditional phone plan and just use messaging and voip solely via the 3G/Internet.

My present phone is with Simyo, which is great, but their 3G tarifa plana costs 25€, which is more than I need and want to pay.

Telefonica has 10-15-25? euro plans but they require a phone contract (which I am trying to avoid). Thoughts, anyone?

#85037 - 08/04/09 05:57 PM Re: 3G Phone plans [Re: madridmanjim]
Antonio Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid (Spain)
First of all, note that many companies don't allow using VoIP on their 3G phone plans. I don't know if it works from a "technical" point of view but you are not supposed to use it and you cannot complain if it doesn't work.

Also all 3G phone plans have a data transmision limit. After that the speed reduces dramatically to 128 Kbps or even 64 Kbps. VoIP software such as Skype spend quite a lot of data so you reach the limit quite fast if you make a lot of phone calls with Skype.

If you think you won't spend the limit Simyo provides (5 GB), you can go to the cheapest option available, as far as I know:

Pepephone is offering 300 MB for "only" 7 euros / month. Note that unlike other companies, Pepephone won't reduce the speed after de 300 MB limit, but it will charge 3 cents / MB transmitted. The good thing about Pepephone (using the Vodafone network) is they offer 3.5G connections up to 7,5 Mbps (download speed) (I guess only available in big cities).

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
esq, JOE DILLMAN
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1583 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments