Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#8464 - 09/19/05 12:00 PM Re: New Hotel in Madrid...any good? Hotel Victoria 4
mmlinz Offline

Loc: anaheim, california
Okay...now I'm worried! Do you think this hotel is going to be in too noisy of a street with all the clubs nearby? We're there from a Tuesday to Friday night. We check out on Saturday morning. Just how noisy is this area? The hotel seems fine, but I will need my sleep! Let me know. I gotta decide soon since we leave a week from today. Thanks again everyone...you're all terrific! Maria

#8465 - 09/20/05 10:12 AM Re: New Hotel in Madrid...any good? Hotel Victoria 4
gregorio Offline

Loc: seattle
Friday night might be a little rockus, but you'll be fine from Tue-Thur. A local freind of mine recommended it to me as well. You'd be surprised at how loud some of the hostal's are, with paper thin walls. I think you'll be fine, I made reservations there, so if its loud we'll both hear it--need not worry.

#8466 - 09/30/05 08:30 AM Re: New Hotel in Madrid...any good? Hotel Victoria 4
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
mmlinz: How was your stay? I imagine you're almost returning now. I've JUST made reservations here for one night in mid-October and will certainly give my review of this new, interesting-looking 3-star hotel.

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#8467 - 10/15/05 03:21 PM Re: New Hotel in Madrid...any good? Hotel Victoria 4
Madrid68 Offline

Loc: Arlington, Va
I just stayed at Hotel Victoria and found it to be a terrific place. Perfectly situated with easy access to everything from Puerta del Sol and Madrid Vision buses to Prado, Plaza Ste Ana and Huertas. As a single woman, I felt very comfortable walking around at night alone because there were always so many people around. The hotel was very clean and well furnished with good basic continental breakfast. Although someone suggested that you get an inside room I would advise against that...in fact I changed from an inside room to have one with a balcony open towards street, it allows you to still feel part of the scene when you come back in to rest your feet. And, the windows appear to be double paned since when closed they screen all street noise (which I realized was heavy when I was still hearing loud talk, music and laughter at 3 am on the one night I thought I would leave the window open. Good choice as a hotel and great tapas bars on same street with other great restaurants/tapas place very near by.

#8468 - 10/30/05 06:41 AM Re: New Hotel in Madrid...any good? Hotel Victoria 4
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Now for my review of Hotel Victoria 4 : (by the way, the name of the hotel is as such because it's located ON Calle Victoria, 4 - it's the address and not the number of stars)

I spent 1 night here Thursday, October 13th, 2005. I was pleased upon walking through the streetside doors to the reception area at about 1pm - the earliest, I was told, I could check-in. Everything was new, spotlessly new and rather modern. The receptionist took my name, she checked her computer, and gave me my KeyCard to access my room - Room 407 (I think). I took the new elevator up to the 4th floor (which is actually the 5th floor in the USA - and in this case it was the TOP floor, I believe). The elevator was big enough for 4 people or 2 people with luggage.

Upon exiting the elevator I was impressed with the "lobby area" at the elevators. The floor were all wood and the motion-activated lights flicked on immediately. I found the direction of my room and walk down the wood-floors and noticed there was quite and echo with every step down the hall.

Fumbling with the proper orientation of the KeyCard to gain the green-light access "click" to open the door, I entered and was impressed with the large size of the room, all wood floors, modern fixtures, large armoir and bench-seat-furniture near the door. But I couldn't see all this well untill I inserted the same KeyCard into the recepticle just inside the door - this activates the use of the lights in the room.

Two new twin beds, modern telephone, TV+remote control, table and 2-chairs. Nice, bright room. The bathroom was larger than I had expected with the toilet + bidet, stain steel "bowl" sink, large shower with one of those clear glass "half-dividers" which only protects spraying water from reaching the adjacent sink but not from reaching the floor - no shower curtain/doors. Hairdryer affixed to the wall.

One interesting thing I noticed about the room, when standing in the center and towards the right wall counter and looking towards the far corner of the room towards the balcony doors, I noticed the floor of the room slanted slightly towards the room's door. It was slight but from this prospected it seemed obvious to me so I took out a coin, kneeled nexted to the balcony doors, gave the coin a small push on its edge, and the coin rolled towards the room door, faster and faster and faster. Ha! I could only imagine that the original 19th century floors had sagged slightly.

The balcony was GREAT! Although small, our balcony was right next to the vertical, illuminated Hotel Victora 4 sign but I could still see over the rooftops and up/down Called Victoria. The nighttime glow from the hotel sign was not at all evident from the inside what with the thick, colored curtains. And as Madrid68 mentioned above, the new, tightly closing/locking double-pane balcony window doors.

At night I couldn't hear anything from the streets below. What I COULD hear clearly from the room at night was the opening, closing of other guests' doors as well as their clock-clock-clock of their heals on the wooden, echoing floors, and nearly ever word they said. Those wooden floors, while striking and new, sure echo every sound. Next time I might consider putting a towel at the base of the room door to help shield the noises. I wasn't really bothered much but the spring-loaded doors tend to close with a slam which can be startling in the middle of the night.

I was anxious to see the 2nd-level terrace they showed on their website:

...but later disappointed to find it was closed (October) and not open, and told at the receptionist desk that they had no definite plans for using the terrace in the spring. So what, they put all the tables on the terrace JUST for the photo and it won't be open in the spring??

Another PLUS from the website was that the Exectuive and Junior Suite rooms (I had the "Executive" room) came with a "Fruit Platter" and not fruit platter was offered upon check-in nor in the room and I forgot about this detail until after I checked out.

And another PLUS on the webiste was that "Buffet breakfast included in the room rate." Unfortunately, there was no "buffet breakfast". In the morning, you take your ticket - given to you upon check-in - through the door next to the reception area and into the adjoining restaurant/bar. There, they seat you in the "near" area and they bring you a CONTINENTAL BREAKFAST of two different rolls, coffee, and juice. Yup! That's it! That's your "buffet breakfast"! rolleyes

3 Types of rooms:

• Lowest Level = "Superior"
  • Middle Level = Executive
  • Highest Level = "Junior Suite"

The price was okay for the hotel; 90 Euros for my "Executive Room" during this "New Hotel Introductory Period" until the end of the year. Regular price is/will be 189 Euros (Rack Rate or 139 Euros Corporate Rate). For that 3-star hotel, I think the "regular rate" of 189 Euros is rather high.
Good location about one block east of the Puerta del Sol, just up Calle Victoria from the Museo del Jamon and near all kinds of bars, restaurants, and some clubs.

So en fin, the 90 Euro price was fine but can't imagine paying much more than 100 Euros. When someone is considering a hotel they look at the "extras" listed on the website. In my case, the fact that the hotel was new, well located, and a good introductory price was compelling. What helped make my decision more solid were the bonus items helped make my decision final. Those bonus items were use of the large, upper-level terrace bar (closed, with no plans to use), the FRUIT PLATE (none), and the BUFFET BREAKFAST (NOT a buffet but rather a continental breakfast). I felt rather deceived from these bonus items listed/shown on their website which did not materialize.

So there you go, folks. Hope my/our reviews help future travelers.

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#8469 - 02/06/06 02:24 PM Re: New Hotel in Madrid...any good? Hotel Victoria 4
gregorio Offline

Loc: seattle
Spent 3 nights there, its a nice new building, attentive staff, good location etc. Couple of things, Noise, we were Unlucky and got the rooms on the street side, first night was a Tue nite, and the noise from the street was roaring until 4 AM, good thing I had jet leg and was able to sleep it off. The floors as MM mentioned are very loud, can hear every door shut, and the wooden floors are less than pleasant. For some reason the Card Keys to gain entry to your room never work, I probably had to get 8 new cards, which was a little annoying when coming home around 2AM. Location is great, breakfast is ok, only coffee/juice/pastry, but i wasn't expecting an omlette. for $100 E i guess i would stay there again, but would want an interior room.

#8470 - 03/27/06 06:03 PM Re: New Hotel in Madrid...any good? Hotel Victoria 4
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

(originally posted by carnut on 03-27-2006 08:12 PM)

Spent five nights at the Hotel Victoria 4 which is located on Victoria Street a few blocks off Plaza Sol. The hotel was renovated about a year ago and is in a modern style. The rooms were reasonable size, but most have two twin beds instead of double. Very easy to push together if you desire. Hotel like most near Sol, is in a noisy area. Inside rooms are much quieter, but being a little hard of hearing, the noise was not a problem for me. The wife said it bothered her some. The hall and rooms all had woodlike floors, so the noise from the late night partying people, sometimes could be heard when they returned late at night. But, the staff were very helpful and I give the hotel high marks for cleanliness and its central location.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments