Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#84681 - 06/21/09 02:23 PM Madrid: "Pez de Cristal", Puerta del Sol on Sat.
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
The Pez de Cristal ("Glass Fish"), the new Cercanías entry structure, is to be inaugurated on Saturday, 27 June 2009. It'll connect Atocha and Chamartin stations, creating the famed "Túnel de la risa".

ANOTHER UPDATE: The Inauguration WAS today at 11am, presided over by the President of the Comunidad de Madrid, Esperanza Guirre.

Apparently, the subsurface space is the largest man made cavern in the world, large enough to fit a 6-story building horizontally. The inauguration will end (????) nearly 5-years of construction and excavation in Madrid's Puerta del Sol.

Edited by MadridMan (06/27/09 06:50 AM)
Edit Reason: updated information

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#84685 - 06/21/09 04:59 PM Re: Madrid: "Pez de Cristal", Puerta del Sol on Sat. [Re: MadridMan]
la historiadora Offline
Executive Member

Wow! I can't believe that the obras (construction) will finally come to an end in Sol! I am looking forward to seeing the finished product on my next trip to Spain.

#84691 - 06/21/09 09:07 PM Re: Madrid: "Pez de Cristal", Puerta del Sol on Sat. [Re: la historiadora]
Rodolfo Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Stockton,Ca.
Thanks for the update!

I was just thinking of asking if anyone knew when this project would end.

I'll see it in October.

#84693 - 06/22/09 12:50 AM Re: Madrid: "Pez de Cristal", Puerta del Sol on Sat. [Re: Rodolfo]
Kipper Offline

Loc: Nashville, TN
I'll see it in August..it's very cool...

#84697 - 06/23/09 04:09 AM Re: Madrid: "Pez de Cristal", Puerta del Sol on Sat. [Re: Kipper]
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

UPDATE: Today I've read that while the inauguration will take place this Saturday, the station itself won't be open to the public for transportation until Sunday.

More photos below from today's www.Madridiario.es :

1-Year Old Video of the construction of the new station and Cercanías Line of the Puerta del Sol:

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#84732 - 06/26/09 02:04 PM Re: Madrid: "Pez de Cristal", Puerta del Sol on Sat. [Re: MadridMan]
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

UPDATE: The Inauguration day has been changed to Sunday, 28th June, 12pm-2pm. I can't make this day/time, unfortunately. ARGH!!

Saludos, MadridMan

#84733 - 06/26/09 03:10 PM Re: Madrid: "Pez de Cristal", Puerta del Sol on Sat. [Re: MadridMan]
jazz Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid
Zapatero and Esperanza presents in the inauguration??? I don't get lost it.

#84734 - 06/27/09 06:43 AM Re: Madrid: "Pez de Cristal", Puerta del Sol on Sat. [Re: jazz]
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

What a F'IN PAIN IN THE ARSE! angry I've just now found the page on Madrid.org that says the F'IN inauguration WAS today/Saturday at 11am. ARGH!!! angry GOOD GRAVY, they'd done a P-POOR job of promoting it. Man, am I P*SSED!! Plans made, then changed to tomorrow, and now this!! angryfire

Edited by MadridMan (06/27/09 06:44 AM)
Edit Reason: add link

#84735 - 06/27/09 11:19 AM Re: Madrid: "Pez de Cristal", Puerta del Sol on Sat. [Re: MadridMan]
jazz Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid
Today I have been fantastic to see Esperanza and ZP, but the best the exhibition of regional Spanish houses and his eaten ones, included Morrocan.in Plaza Mayor. I have eaten up a TAPA of ham and a wine for 3 € Mmmmm....

#84736 - 06/27/09 12:54 PM Re: Madrid: "Pez de Cristal", Puerta del Sol on Sat. [Re: jazz]
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Well, although I missed the (poorly-or-not-publicized) inauguration this morning at 11am, I'll still go tomorrow/Sunday morning to check out the first day of operation, take some photos (if they let me), and will report back here and with a Madrid blog entry. thumbsup

Saludos, MadridMan

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
najmaaz
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1675 Guests and 10 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments