Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#84721 - 06/25/09 12:34 PM Re: Any Authentic Mexican Restaurants in Madrid? [Re: Daniel-Madrid]
Pete Woodman Offline

Loc: Isle of Man
There's a fairly cheap and cheerful one on Calle de la Libertad called "La Panza es Primero". I thought it was pretty good when I ate there, although one review says "Buena comida, servicio INFAME" and I have to agree.

If you think Mexican restaurants in Spain are bad you should try them in England! I've never had anything as good as I can make at home.

Edited by Pete Woodman (06/25/09 12:37 PM)

#84723 - 06/25/09 03:27 PM Re: Any Authentic Mexican Restaurants in Madrid? [Re: Daniel-Madrid]
la historiadora Offline
Executive Member

Daniel-Madrid, is it called La Leyenda del Agave? I've never been there, but I know the agave plant is the plant from which tequila is made. I googled it, and it looks like it's at C/Núñez de Balboa, 37 which is near Calle de Goya and the Velázquez Metro station.

#84725 - 06/25/09 04:45 PM Re: Any Authentic Mexican Restaurants in Madrid? [Re: Daniel-Madrid]
colenot Offline

A Google search tells me that a plant called Blue Agave is used to making tequila. Does that sound about right to you?

#84726 - 06/25/09 07:49 PM Re: Any Authentic Mexican Restaurants in Madrid? [Re: colenot]
laduque Offline
Executive Member

Loc: San Diego, CA, USA
Yes that is true. The agave nectar is used in the making of tequila. Here in San Diego, is an elegant Mexican restaurant named El Agave which has the largest selection of tequila in the States. My hubby works there once in a while. Anyway, they have 200 dollar shots of tequila. It's mindboggling how many tequilas there are...sort of like fine wine...an acquired taste.

Steve, please tell us what you ate at the restuarant.

#84728 - 06/26/09 02:15 AM Re: Any Authentic Mexican Restaurants in Madrid? [Re: laduque]
Daniel-Madrid Offline

Loc: Madrid
@ la historiadora, yeah that's the one - i mixed the streets up, but got the area right!

#84730 - 06/26/09 05:56 AM Re: Any Authentic Mexican Restaurants in Madrid? [Re: Daniel-Madrid]
steve robinson Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Hastings Old Town , England .
Laduque .. It was a great lunch . My flatmate wanted to toast his father who died in Perú ( Lima ) exactly a year ago . We had 5 rounds of "banderitas" where you drink the sour lemon juice , the tequila and then tomato juice .. The colours of the Mexican flag ( Green , white and red ) . Wow , they were great .
We had a huge amount of nacho chips with a couple of great spicey dips and a big bowl of guacamole . Then we had tacos .. 3 different types but a good amount .
Wow what a day that was . Next up is that My flatmate is going to take me to a traditional Peruvian restauraunt ... I can´t wait !!

#84739 - 06/27/09 03:55 PM Re: Any Authentic Mexican Restaurants in Madrid? [Re: steve robinson]
colenot Offline

Sounds like you had a great time. I'll have to remember the "banderitas" when I go there.

Were those tacos soft tacos or hard shell tacos? Do they offer both? Also, did you get a chance to see if they had refried beans, rice, burritos, etc...

#84740 - 06/28/09 11:57 AM Re: Any Authentic Mexican Restaurants in Madrid? [Re: colenot]
steve robinson Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Hastings Old Town , England .
Yeah the banderitos are great . They were soft tacos to roll up ...and no idea to all the other questions .. I would imagine they have refritos as they are pretty much a staple food , as well as arroz .

#85205 - 08/31/09 07:34 PM Re: Any Authentic Mexican Restaurants in Madrid? [Re: steve robinson]
colenot Offline

I just tried one branch of this little Mexican Restaurant chain called La Mordida (The one on Valle Princessa- www.lamordida.com)

I wanted to test the waters so I just ordered their nachos with guacamole. They use those Tostino style chips (not authentic) and it was a little heavy on the pico de gallo and guacamole and not enough frijoles (refried beans).

I asked if it came with beef or chicken and he said only chorizo, so I opted without meat as chorizo is too tangy for nachos.

I would give the nachos 3 stars out of 5. Nothing I couldn't do at home.

I didn't have enough room for anything else, but I'll give it another shot someday with something else on the menu.

It started to get busy as I was leaving (around 9pm) so maybe their other entree's are pretty authentic tasting. Who knows...

#85207 - 09/01/09 01:12 AM Re: Any Authentic Mexican Restaurants in Madrid? [Re: colenot]
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
colenot, thanks for that tip about the La Mordida chain. It looks much like the typical over-the-top American Mexican restaurant but maybe they're more "authentic" than their photos convey. I'll give it a try too as a couple of them are within striking distance (by bus).

By the way, did they offer FREE chips-and-salsa as they do at the USA restaurants? I'm guessing not since they typically charge for bread in restaurants in Spain.

Saludos, MadridMan

Edited by MadridMan (09/01/09 01:13 AM)
Edit Reason: additional question

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
dona_quijote
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1742 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments