MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#84294 - 04/21/09 05:11 AM Tennis: 2009 Davis Cup in Marbella
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
This year's 2009 Davis Cup does NOT take place in Madrid - but rather in the Plaza de Toros de Puerto Banus, Puerto Banus, Marbella.

This year, Spain goes up against Germany 10-12 July. I really thought the Davis Cup always and only played in Madrid. Only today did I realize differently upon searching information to go this year. Needless to say, this year I won't either. I've never been, in fact, but was making plans to do so this year.

Saludos, MadridMan frown cry

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#84295 - 04/21/09 07:08 AM Re: Tennis: 2009 Davis Cup in Marbella [Re: MadridMan]
billy the man Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Bolton England
Spain seem to have a habit of changing venues for a lot of sports, it maybe to give the rest of the country the chance to see major sporting events, but im more inclined to think they do it to give the host country more of an advantage against the opposition, heat, high altitude i dont blame them, make the most of your facilitys dont give the oppertunity to the visitors, in England all the venues are more or less sey in stone, it was only when they were building the new wembley they moved venues, giving the whole country a chance to go and see a game, and statisticaly up north every game was a sell out not like it is when the game is in London

#84296 - 04/21/09 09:39 AM Re: Tennis: 2009 Davis Cup in Marbella [Re: billy the man]
Jamongris Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, from London
I read Nadal wasn't happy with the Davis Cup in Ventas, because the surface was not his favourite. It may also be because Madrid has the Masters in early May, I was thinking of going to that MM if you fancy it....

Billy re England football and Wembley, yes Spain does tour the country with their national team (the European Champions) unlike the English, and I liked it better when we did too. But now they've spent a fortune on Wembley, we probably won't see it happen again.

#84297 - 04/21/09 10:28 AM Re: Tennis: 2009 Davis Cup in Marbella [Re: Jamongris]
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

The Masters is in early May? And that's in Madrid, right? I might be interested, sure! Any idea on ticket prices?

Edited by MadridMan (04/21/09 10:28 AM)
Edit Reason: Just 'cause.

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#84298 - 04/22/09 02:27 AM Re: Tennis: 2009 Davis Cup in Marbella [Re: MadridMan]
Jamongris Offline
Executive Member

Yes 8th - 17th in the casa del campo. The official website is
http://www.madrid-open.com/site/start#

Tickets range from 15 to 25 € per day, haven't checked availability yet though. I was thinking of going sometime around the 11th to the 13th.

#84308 - 04/27/09 03:36 AM Re: Tennis: 2009 Davis Cup in Marbella [Re: Jamongris]
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

I see from the website that The Masters matches take place in Madrid at the Arantxa Sánchez Vicario Stadium. Is that the one in the Casa de Campo? I'll have to look that up.

It'd be cool to see a few daytime matches this year. I'll be around on the 11th and 12th but have an afternoon appointment on the 13th, unfortunately. But if you'd like to go together, let me know. I've never been before. Have to dig out my baseball cap to avoid sunburn. cool

Saludos, MadridMan

Edited by MadridMan (04/27/09 03:37 AM)

#84323 - 04/29/09 02:56 AM Re: Tennis: 2009 Davis Cup in Marbella [Re: MadridMan]
Jamongris Offline
Executive Member

Actually I misread the web site. I saw the address for buying tickets as being in the casa del campo and assumed the tournament would be there too. If you look at the how to get to us section on the (confusing) web site (I hate side scrolling pages, don't know how to scroll them with the middle rolling thingy on the mouse) it is more to the South in an area I don't know at all.

http://www.madrid-open.com/site/tickets/como_llegar

If you look at the satellite view in Google, I guess it's brand new because it looks like a building site.

I'd enjoy meeting up for it, as it's outside I suggest waiting until nearer the date to see the weather forecast. Don't fancy a day watching rain drops much. I can't go after Thursday as I have friends arriving to stay, so it looks like we've narrowed it down to Monday/Tuesday or Thursday 11th/12th/14th.

#84329 - 04/29/09 02:09 PM Re: Tennis: 2009 Davis Cup in Marbella [Re: MadridMan]
edu_lucero Offline

Loc: barrio de lucero, madrid
Hi everyone!

I haven't written in the website for a long time, I left my english course but I've resumed it. I hope you understand my mistakes. help

This year the tournament has changed its dates from October to May because the surface will be clay instead of hardcourt. It will be played in a new tennis complex with indoor and exterior courts and the main stadium is called Caja Mágica.

It's going to be opened on May 8th by a Lenny Kravitz concert just before the beginning of the tournament. cool

El País article

Foro Urbanity. Latest photos

Edu wave

#84330 - 04/29/09 02:26 PM Re: Tennis: 2009 Davis Cup in Marbella [Re: edu_lucero]
steve robinson Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Hastings Old Town , England .
Edu .. you´re English is great !!!!

#84334 - 04/30/09 02:16 AM Re: Tennis: 2009 Davis Cup in Marbella [Re: steve robinson]
Jamongris Offline
Executive Member

Originally Posted By steve robinson
Edu .. you´re English is great !!!!

Not so sure about yours Steve ! lol

Anyone else up for this ?

Much as I like Lenny, it's a shame they don't open the stadium with something traditionally Spanish don't you think ? Maybe a nice Flamenco concert for example.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments