Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#83954 - 03/06/09 03:54 PM clothing recs for two middle aged men...
kelar419 Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Texas
So this question is not so much for me, but for my dad and my uncle who I will be taking with me on a upcoming trip to Granada. What types of clothes should I suggest they bring, wear throughout the trip? We are going in April. Major no-nos, tips, anything appreciated. They asked me what to pack and I realized that although I knew what I usually would wear bring, I wasnt sure what to suggest for two men in their 50s!

#83962 - 03/07/09 04:34 AM Re: clothing recs for two middle aged men... [Re: kelar419]
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
It will still be quite cool in April in Granada City so tell them to bring their springtime clothing.

I usually go to Granada in spring so I can tell you what *I* pack (although, keep in mind, I'm a hot body). Take a autumn/spring jacket, a button-up sweater for evenings and mornings. Night's can be downright cold in Granada City in April but chances are good the jacket alone would be good for the daytime sun (IF it's sunny and not raining). Take 2 short-sleeved button-down shirts and 2 long-sleeved button-down shirts. Solid colors or 2-color shirts are fine. Avoid plaids as they're much less common here. Jeans, khakis, or even corduroy pants would be fine. No Shorts! (too cold) Good, solid leather walking shoes (Rockports or the like) would be best. Steer clear of the tennis shoes and white socks. They're fine for younger people but look very odd on 50-somethings.

But Granada City is very used to hosting tourists so I say to wear whatever's comfortable to them. Unless they speak Spanish perfectly, I doubt they'll be confused with real Spaniards.

Enjoy yourselves in Granada! I'm SURE youwill. And BE SURE to reserve your Alhambra Tickets NOW (and I mean, NOW!). If you're there during Holy Week it's probably already too late to get in.

Saludos, GranadaMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#83966 - 03/09/09 08:07 AM Re: clothing recs for two middle aged men... [Re: MadridMan]
CascadaDuSel Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL (sometimes Madrid - ...
I second the get your Alhambra tickets now... I tried to take my parents over Christmas and there was not one available day in the 2 weeks we were there... My mom will never let me forget that I didnt order the tickets ahead!

#83987 - 03/11/09 05:04 AM Re: clothing recs for two middle aged men... [Re: CascadaDuSel]
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
I forgot to also mention that baseball caps are a rarity here in Spain. But I understand that if these 50-somethings are coming to Spain they may be "follicly challenged" (i.e. bald) and may want to protect themselves. Have them either put on sunblock or buy a lightweight (and inexpensive) "gorra" (i.e. "sheppard's cap") to cover the top of their heads. And then when they get home, that same cap would be a long-time reminder of their time in Spain.

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#83999 - 03/12/09 08:47 AM Re: clothing recs for two middle aged men... [Re: MadridMan]
steve robinson Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Hastings Old Town , England .
2 things , Ihave 4 or 5 great baseball caps from here in Madrid . Go to the Plaza de Toros before a bullfight and you can pick them up for 3 or 4 Euros ....
The Alhambra tickets do present a crazy situation . I didn´t get tickets to go inside BUT you still will have unforgettable walks around the walls and buildings ... Equally as impressive as being inside . And I recommend that you get a beer( caña ) from the kiosk within the walls of the Alhambra , sit on the ancient wall and enjoy the magnificent view over Granada !
Sometimes it just better to STOP and observe ... listen to the accents , watch the people , smell the air , absorb the whole atmosphere , quietly . Steve

#84014 - 03/13/09 07:02 PM Re: clothing recs for two middle aged men... [Re: steve robinson]
3wa Offline

Yes, get tickets for Alhambra. We just bought tickets for April 27th, for the morning. April 28th morning tickets are already sold out.
One question, can you bring food (snack) inside? Are there snack sold inside? I was there 10 years ago, and all I remember was like Steve wrote, having a beer and enjoying the view.

#84018 - 03/13/09 11:57 PM Re: clothing recs for two middle aged men... [Re: 3wa]
kelar419 Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Texas
Wow im glad you guys have given me the heads up on the Alhambra tickets... honestly, ive been 3 times, and not once bought tickets in advance, but I guess that was off season, and during the week. I definitely want to take my dad and uncle inside so I suppose I better get on that this weekend! Hopefully a week day will still be available.

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments