Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#83826 - 02/15/09 07:39 AM Eating times
Denise 2009 Offline

Loc: Ontario Canada (ex Toledo, Ohi...
Dinner (supper) is at 10 pm. What time in lunchtime??

#83827 - 02/15/09 08:11 AM Re: Eating times [Re: Denise 2009]
steve robinson Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Hastings Old Town , England .
normally around 2:30 on average .. sometimes a bit later . Steve .. It takes some getting used to hahahahaha

#83828 - 02/15/09 10:53 AM Re: Eating times [Re: steve robinson]
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
As steve robinson says, 2:30pm a pretty average time but people start eating LUNCH as early as 1:30pm and go for lunch as late as 3pm. Most restaurants don't even open until 1:30pm but some of the more touristic places are open at 1pm.

Saludos, MadridMan

Edited by MadridMan (02/21/09 06:00 AM)
Edit Reason: accidentally substituted DINNER for LUNCH!

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#83829 - 02/15/09 12:25 PM Re: Eating times [Re: MadridMan]
la historiadora Offline
Executive Member

Denise 2009, the meal times may sound strange, and they might be a bit of an adjustment for you. However, keep in mind that lunch (often called "la comida" or "el almuerzo") is the biggest meal of the day. In North America dinner is usually the most substantial meal of the day, but that's not true in Spain. In Spain, you often eat lightly in the evening. This means having a tapa or two with your drink at one bar and then going to another bar to do the same.

Also, keep in mind that many restaurants offer a prix fixe menu at lunch time, and it's called "Menu del Dia." Depending on the restaurant, you will get a starter such as a soup or salad, then your main entree, then coffee and possibly dessert. These are better deals than ordering a la carte.

#83837 - 02/16/09 08:38 AM Re: Eating times [Re: la historiadora]
sallyanne Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid
Denise, bear in mind that Spain is cake/dessert heaven!!

#83840 - 02/16/09 02:32 PM Re: Eating times [Re: sallyanne]
Denise 2009 Offline

Loc: Ontario Canada (ex Toledo, Ohi...
Sallyanne,
Sooooo...the diet is wasted! *LOL*

#83854 - 02/17/09 11:26 PM Re: Eating times [Re: Denise 2009]
Yankaluz Offline

Loc: SoCal, USA
Well, it doesn't matter where you go you can eat when you please.

If I typically have breakfast at a certain time everyday then I will continue to do so whether in Bilbao or Hong Kong (I know from experience), same for lunch and dinner.

Yeah, yeah,,, in Spain certain restaurants may not provide certain menus until certain times of the day but I assure that if you're hungry and wanna eat lunch by 1230 you shall be able to grub for food and succeed.

#83875 - 02/21/09 05:10 AM Re: Eating times [Re: MadridMan]
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
Originally Posted By MadridMan
As steve robinson says, 2:30pm a pretty average time but people start eating dinner as early as 1:30pm and go for lunch as late as 3pm. Most restaurants don't even open until 1:30pm but some of the more touristic places are open at 1pm.

Saludos, MadridMan
The Midday meal is most often the principal meal of the day. I usually wait until 3:30 PM or so for my midday meal. That way, most people having the Menu del Día will already have been served, and the Taberna or restaurant or whatever is more likely to give us late diners larger portions. Then I have a light repast before sleepytime.

I arrived at my Hotel in VilaGarcia de Arousa (Galicia) at 4 PM; the meal service had ended, but they served me and portions were enormous.

When in Spain, be a Spaniard!

#83876 - 02/21/09 06:03 AM Re: Eating times [Re: Eddie]
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Your method is a good one, Eddie, for not having to compete with others for tables during the busy lunchtime. But on the downside, most places will close at 5pm (at the latest) and you'd have to rush to eat if arriving at 4pm. PLUS, sometimes at that 4pm hour you'll find half of the items on the "Menú del Día" crossed out because they've run out. That's always a bummer.

Northern regions in Spain tend to eat lunch and dinner at earlier hours. Seems to me that 1pm was the average lunch time in Cantabria.

Saludos, MadridMan (time to cook lunch!)

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#83894 - 02/23/09 03:17 PM Re: Eating times [Re: MadridMan]
pedmar Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Morbihan, France
well my five cents worth, as Spanish ,who have travelled the country. the meal times gets extended as you go south ,generally speaking. Nowdays with the advent of modernity and corporate schedules, even in the south meals are been serve more flexible. And it will continue to change although slowly ::)

You can eat anytime you want, anything, But ,the general times for meals are pretty much as is
breakfast 8:30 to 10 am
Lunch 2-4 pm
dinner 10-12midnite, i know but i have often eaten by 11:30 pm

the in between you can have "snacks", tapas, drinks, horchatas, etc anytime.

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
najmaaz
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1675 Guests and 10 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments