Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#83884 - 02/22/09 07:14 PM Mario Batali Drops F-Bomb on King and Queen!
Mongo Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Minneapolis, Minnesota USA
I saw this in Sunday's English language version of El Pais.
El Pais in English

King Juan Carlos and Queen Sofía got more spice than they could have imagined from a top US celebrity chef during a $1,000-a-plate dinner on Thursday night at the Biltmore Hotel in Coral Gables, Florida.

The royal couple were honored guests at the celebrity-filled South Beach Wine & Food Festival that featured plates by some of Spain’s leading chefs. But it was Mario Batali, host of the popular PBS food travelogue series Spain On the Road along with actresses Gwyneth Paltrow and Claudia Bassols, who heated the evening.

The Miami Herald reported on its website Sunday that an intoxicated Batali used the “f-word” to get guests’ attention at the microphone. “All you weasel f*** wads in the back corners, can I have 10 seconds of your time?” he said, as he grew impatient the crowd wasn’t getting quiet quickly enough.

He introduced chef José Andrés, whose Los Angeles restaurant The Bazaar got a fourstar rating from The Los Angeles Times.

“The most mother-f****** stars of any Spanish restaurant in the US,” Batali said. The Miami Herald reported that those who were sitting with the queen saw her blanche. Celebrities such as Julio Iglesias, Gloria Estefan, and Florida Governor Charlie Crist were also visibly shocked.

Edited by MadridMan (02/23/09 03:40 AM)
Edit Reason: to broaden the text & include links

#83885 - 02/22/09 09:49 PM Re: Mario Batali Drops F-Bomb on King and Queen! [Re: Mongo]
OsoMajor Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Garden Grove, California
Wow! How embarrassing! Well, I guess Mario won't be invited to the next royal banquet. Did the king say to him "por que no te callas?" grin

BTW...what's the Spanish equivalent to Buckingham Palace?

#83887 - 02/23/09 03:43 AM Re: Mario Batali Drops F-Bomb on King and Queen! [Re: OsoMajor]
steve robinson Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Hastings Old Town , England .
Well The eqivalent to Buckingham Palace would be " El Palacio Real " .... But the Queen ( UK ) spend more time at Windsor Castle ( near London ) Similarly , and someone may have to correct me , Los Reyes de España , both King Juan Carlos and Queen Sofia "live" in a mansion/stately home in Aranjuez .
I loved the story about Mario Batali jajajajajaja ! He is going to feel way bad after that ... !!
Steve

#83916 - 03/01/09 09:32 AM Re: Mario Batali Drops F-Bomb on King and Queen! [Re: steve robinson]
Valenciano_en_Madrid Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Majadahonda (Madrid)
Hi!
The Spanish King and Queen live in the Palacio de la Zarzuela, located in the "Monte del Pardo" forests, 13.2 km northwest Puerta del Sol.
The Palacio Real de Madrid is only used for oficial receptions and ceremonies.
There are seven royal palaces in Spain, here you can read information about them:

Patrimonio Nacional

#83919 - 03/01/09 04:43 PM Re: Mario Batali Drops F-Bomb on King and Queen! [Re: Valenciano_en_Madrid]
steve robinson Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Hastings Old Town , England .
Thanks Damián ,
I really need to check my information brfore I write jejejejeje ....

Steve

#84274 - 04/16/09 10:33 PM Re: Mario Batali Drops F-Bomb on King and Queen! [Re: steve robinson]
Bateswriter Offline

For what it's worth, I watched a few episode of Batali's Spain trip and decided he is a pompous fraud. He blah, blah, blahs all the time, which is boring, leaving few minutes left for viewers to absorb the details of the Spanish area in which he is ensconced.

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
piedra negra29
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2717 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments