Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#83787 - 02/12/09 11:51 PM Madrid/Toledo/Cordoba: Itinerary advice please
aussieflyer Offline

Loc: Australian
Dear Reader. I would greatly appreciate your advice and input for a planned visit April 2009 please. Madrid is my base, this I cannot change.
Up to you, the good, the bad, and the downright ugly, will help fine tune the schedule.
Many thanks to all who participate.
Aussieflyer

Day 1
PM Arrive, Madrid, Spain – Accommodation arranged in the Gran Via area.

Day 2 Madrid
9:00AM Confirmed Panoramic Tour of Historic Madrid

PM Confirmed El Escorial Monastery and Valle de Los Caidas

Day 3 Madrid
Noon Confirmed Time with friends

Day 4 Madrid
8:00 AM Confirmed Full Day History & Culture Tour of Toledo• Imperial City

Day 5 Madrid
AM Visit, Temple Of Debod , The 2400 YO Egyptian Temple To The God Amon In La Montana Park

PM Royal Palace

Day 6 Madrid
8:l5:AM Confirmed full Day History And Culture Tour of Cordoba

Day 7 Madrid
9:45 AM Confirmed The Prado And The Reina Sofia Museums

Day 8 Madrid

Segovia

Day 9 Madrid

Cable car ride to the hills.

Day 10 Madrid

Morning Departure from, Madrid, Spain

Edited by aussieflyer (02/14/09 12:42 AM)
Edit Reason: added suggestion

#83789 - 02/13/09 02:29 AM Re: Itinerary advice please [Re: aussieflyer]
billy the man Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Bolton England
gudaye aussieflyer
even if you are not sports minded you have got to try the Bernabau stadium tour,for around 9 euros you can spend as much time as you need or want to go around the ground.You go into the kift first to the top of the ground to give you the most panoramic view, then through the ground to see the magnificent trophys and photos they have won over the last 100yrs, then into the dugout followed by the club shop, it doesnt sound good to a non sporty person,but we had 4 female non football loving people in our party and they loved it.
have fun whatever you decide to do!

#83790 - 02/13/09 03:54 AM Re: Itinerary advice please [Re: billy the man]
aussieflyer Offline

Thank you Billy, I was thinking about that issue. I shall do some more investigating.Cheers Aussieflyer

#83792 - 02/13/09 05:52 AM Re: Itinerary advice please [Re: aussieflyer]
jazz Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid
Do not forget Segovia( Roman Aqueduct) and Aranjuez (Palace of Aranjuez )to 50 Kilometres of Madrid

#83793 - 02/13/09 06:21 AM Re: Itinerary advice please [Re: jazz]
aussieflyer Offline

Thanks Jazz, My problem is two fold. Firstly tme availabilty,
and also for my body to keep pace with everything. This is just my first visit to Spain. Thier will be many more I think, and hope.Your adcice is appreciated, cheers Aussieflyed

#83795 - 02/13/09 07:09 AM Re: Itinerary advice please [Re: aussieflyer]
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
You really don't need a guided tour of Retiro Park; but if Day-8 or 9 is a Sunday, I like to stroll thru the park (around 11:00 AM) and enjoy Street Performers who gather there. They line the path from the Puerta de Alcalá entrance to the pond. That's only on Sundays.

You don't mention a tour of the Palacio Réal; I recommend that!

You don't mention Segovia, which I prefer over el Valle de los Caidos, especially if you dine there on cochinillo asado

#83796 - 02/13/09 09:47 AM Re: Itinerary advice please [Re: Eddie]
Kipper Offline

Loc: Nashville, TN
Do go to Segovia, it's amazing, beautiful Cathedral, Alcazar, take the train, it's only 30 minutes on the high speed train..

#83797 - 02/13/09 11:05 AM Re: Itinerary advice please [Re: Kipper]
steve robinson Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Hastings Old Town , England .
I´m going to echo a lot of other people here . Go to Segovia ! It´s easy to get to . And think about Chinchón .. A beautiful village/town but only accesible by bus or car .
Templo de Deblod will not be time consuming , and I recommend something that not a lot of visitors here do : a 2000 metre cable car ride from Argüelles ( central madrid ) to the hills of Casa del Campo ... In April it should be beautiful . The return trip is about 4 or 5 Euros .
<avoid guided tours as much as possible ! You definitely , as Eddie said , do Not need a guided tour of the park . Parks are for strolling around and relaxing . Yes there is a lot to see ... It´s my very favourite place in the whole of Madrid .. but get a guide book , stroll around .. take a seat at a terrace cafe in the park ( I recommend the one by the statue of the fallen angel ) , and read , contemplate , and just relax .

El Escorial and Valle de los Caídos will blow you away . No matter what your political views are about Franco the views from his mausoleum are beautiful .Remember to take your passport or national ID card .. They have a strict control before you go in ,
The town of El Escorial is great with wonderful restaurants and cafes .

Day6 for you is going to be a heavy day .. Cordoba.. I´m guessing you´re going by train and yet a little further and you´d be in one of the gems in Spain´s crown , Granada ´. However i´d recommend AT LEAST one night stay over . Granada is fantastic !!!!

Just another note . Bear in mind that some Spaniards ( friends of mine included ) will REFUSE to go to Valle de los Caídos . Franco and his dictatorship is still a very emotive subject here . I asked friends to take me there and they said no ! But I found someone willing , eventually .

By the way ... something you cannot miss . Segovia is famous for "cochinillo" .. Roast suckling pig .. It´s to die for ! Forget the diet .. Segovia has the best restaurants in Spain for cochinillo , patronised by King juan Carlos himself !

Steve

Edited by MadridMan (02/15/09 04:39 AM)
Edit Reason: combining two consecutive postings

#83802 - 02/13/09 03:46 PM Re: Itinerary advice please [Re: steve robinson]
jazz Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid
Very nice the Valle de los Caidos but.VINI;VIDI and to go away,for if he's wakes up.

Another zone,Lozolla's walley, Valle de Lozoya, near Navacerrada, the monastery of the Paular.The village of Rascafria, the best lamb that l have eaten.

Edited by MadridMan (02/15/09 04:42 AM)
Edit Reason: combining two consecutive postings

#83806 - 02/13/09 11:55 PM Re: Itinerary advice please [Re: Eddie]
aussieflyer Offline

Eddie, many thanks for you info on Retiro Park. It is such a great help recieving usefull info like this, appreciated.

Apology, The Royal Palace is on my to do list.I will try and add Segovia.

As Jazz, Eddie, Kipper and Steve are all of the same opinion, I have added Segovia. As this will be my last day in Spain. If I go there in the morning,and return to Madrid after lunch. Will that work OK ???
A very big thank you to each of you, for your really helpful advice.

Jazz, I unfortunately will not have the time available. As an Aussie I love Lamb. Can you suggest a good Lamb place in Madrid that is open for lunch. No way I could wait till 11 PM.

Thanks Steve, I will certainly add the Cable car ride, Great idea, love it. Aussieflyer

Edited by MadridMan (02/15/09 04:35 AM)
Edit Reason: combining several consecutive postings

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments