Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#57310 - 05/12/08 07:56 AM Madrid: Fiesta San Isidro
neilstrauss23 Offline

Loc: madrid
Hi, anyone know the events of San Isidro?

#57311 - 05/12/08 10:24 AM Re: Madrid: Fiesta San Isidro
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Hiya, neilstrauss23!

Yes! Visit http://www.esmadrid.com/sanisidro/inicio.html and the complete program, in PDF format, can be found at http://www.esmadrid.com/backend/sanisidro/2008/es/descargables/programa_san_isidro_08.pdf

On the 15th I'll be going to the (nearby) grounds/"Praderas de San Isidro" surrounding the Ermita de San Isidro to buy buñuelos (listos, tontos, etcetera) and to watch the chulapos and chulapas dancing in their period costumes. That's always cool - but the weathers usually very hot. Let's see this year.

But this year I'll be avoiding "Las Vistillas" where they usually have cultural dances. Last 2 year I went and while the dancing was going on no one was paying attention. And to make things worse, the entire "Vistillas" surrounding the dance stage were filled with Botellones - a drunken teenage calimocho fest.

Of course you also have the monthlong San Isidro bullfight festival going on already too.

Enjoy! Can't wait.

Saludos, MadridMan

http://MadridMan.com/blog-madrid/2008/05/2008-san-isidro-madrid-patron-saint-celebration.html

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#57312 - 05/15/08 05:23 AM Re: Madrid: Fiesta San Isidro
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

I'm leaving now for the Pradera de San Isidro!!! I'll try to post some photos later today.

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#57313 - 05/15/08 04:56 PM Re: Madrid: Fiesta San Isidro
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

WHAT A GREAT DIA DE SAN ISIDRO I had!! Just wonderful.

Got back about 2 hours ago and just finished writing the blog about today's San Isidro HERE but below I've posted some photos. Enjoy! Now it's late but I should've mentioned that today one could've watched MANY MANY live on-the-street scenes of the San Isidro festival on TeleMadrid SAT online.

The San Isidro fountain with waters carrying "healing powers". So I drank from it.

Sitting on the banks of the Pradera de San Isidro park to watch "El Chotis" dances with a great skyline view of the city of Madrid.

A HUGE paella - which was just ONE of the dozens of delicious-looking dishes they had along the promenade. Mmmmmm.... :p

#83545 - 01/06/09 07:55 PM Re: Madrid: Fiesta San Isidro [Re: MadridMan]
la historiadora Offline
Executive Member

I have some friends who are planning a trip to Spain in mid-May. They are trying to figure out their itinerary, and one of their concerns is about Madrid during San Isidro. I suggested they go to Madrid during the festival as it's something they normally wouldn't get to do. However, I can understand that they might not want to be there during the holiday.

I haven't been in Madrid for San Isidro, so I have a few questions for anyone who has:

Is everything in Madrid closed down on May 15 (the actual day of San Isidro)?

Are there more people than normal in Madrid (ie they come from other cities in Spain or other countries) to celebrate the festivities for San Isidro?

I noticed that May 15 will be on a Friday this year. Does that make it likely that things will be closed over the entire weekend while people take a holiday?

I read MM's blog entry from May 2008, and it seems that many/most of the activities surrounding San Isidro take place at the Pradera de San Isidro. Are there other events in other locations (besides the bullfights)?

Thanks so much for any information you can share.

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1600 Guests and 9 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments