Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#8323 - 07/19/05 12:22 AM BCN: Hostal Goya vs Hosteria Grau - Who wins?
adiav Offline

Loc: Australia
Hi everyone,

This is my first post here, so go easy on me. wink

I'm travelling to Spain for the first time (on my own) this September, heading to Barcelona, Madrid, and Granada, before ending up in Malaga to visit my aunt.

So my question: I've narrowed my Barcelona accommodation (6 nights) down to two options - Hostería Grau , and Hostal Goya . They're both offering me very similar rates for a single room, and they both are subject to good and not-so-good (not bad) reviews online... so I figured I'd ask here. Has anyone stayed at either, and if so, would you recommend one over the other?

I'd love any input I can get. Thanks in advance. smile

#8324 - 07/19/05 05:48 AM Re: BCN: Hostal Goya vs Hosteria Grau - Who wins?
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Hi adiav! Welcome to our ALL SPAIN Message Board!

You're in luck because BOTH of these establishments have been pretty well reviewed here in this forum category. I'd recommend conducting a SEARCH using keywords like Hostal Goya Barcelona and Hosteria Grau Barcelona and you'll find them. From my initial scan it seemed that both were well-recommended but it didn't seem that any one person has stayed at BOTH of them to compare one to the other.

If you stay at one of these establishments (or some other) will you please return to this/your thread and give us your own personal review for future travelers? Thanks and have a GREAT time in Barcelona!

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#8325 - 07/19/05 06:56 PM Re: BCN: Hostal Goya vs Hosteria Grau - Who wins?
adiav Offline

Oh, darn! I searched for both just "grau" and "goya" on this board before posting, but somehow I must've missed the posts you're referring to. Sorry about that.

I'll absolutely return and post a write-up of my experience in wherever I end up staying.

Thanks again, MadridMan.

#8326 - 07/19/05 07:22 PM Re: BCN: Hostal Goya vs Hosteria Grau - Who wins?
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

No problem, adiav. So did you find them upon re-searching? Sometimes when one searches using narrow terms they may not find what they hope to find.

Saludos, MadridMan smile

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#8327 - 07/19/05 11:56 PM Re: BCN: Hostal Goya vs Hosteria Grau - Who wins?
adiav Offline

Sort of, MadridMan. I found a couple of threads pertaining to Hosteria Grau , but nothing with much detail (mainly just people saying it's where they're going to stay, but not what they thought of it once they'd stayed there); and nothing at all for Hostal Goya .

No problem, however - I've decided on Hostal Goya (this is me jumping in feet-first), and will write my own review when I've stayed!

Now I get to start over and do similar research for Madrid, and Granada. I don't doubt for a split second that I'll be posting here again. wink

Cheers!

-adiav

#8328 - 07/21/05 10:55 AM Re: BCN: Hostal Goya vs Hosteria Grau - Who wins?
epaulino4 Offline

Loc: USA
Please do not discount Melia Hotels. I stayed earlier this month in Melia Granada for 50 euros including breakfast. Also stayed at Melia Colon in Sevilla for 68 euros. Check their website.

Both experiences were great. Melia Colon is having some issues with their WIFI (wireless) and it impacted me because I had some work with a critical deadline. But, if you are on vacation, you will love it.

#8329 - 07/21/05 11:05 AM Re: BCN: Hostal Goya vs Hosteria Grau - Who wins?
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

For Hosteria Grau:

http://www.madridman.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=002134

Quote:
Hosteria Grau in Barca is a 5 minute walk from the Rambla and Plaza Catalunya. This location was great for me, as Catalunya is a central metro hub with corespondence to many metro lines. I stayed in two different rooms over a 6 day period. The first was a double room ....
And also... http://www.madridman.com/cgi-bin/ubbcgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=2&t=001689&p=

Quote:
i have stayed at hostal grau .very clean,quiet and about 200 yards from the ramblas.
And also... http://www.madridman.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=000256

Quote:
In Barcelona I stayed at the Hosteria Grau. Good location only a couple of minutes from La Rambla, with lots of interesting sights,shops and cafes nearby. I had a double room with shower only, fairly basic but cleaned every day. No air con, but has...
For Hostal Goya:

http://www.madridman.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=002050

Quote:
Barcelona – Hostal Goya Principal. We stayed in a room in the newer section. Our room was large, had a comfortable bed, adequate clean bathroom, writing desk and a door that opened onto an interior courtyard....
And also... http://www.madridman.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=001961

Quote:
Did you read my report for BCN hostal? I urge you to consider hostal goya...great place!!!...
Saludos, MadridMan

#8330 - 07/21/05 07:30 PM Re: BCN: Hostal Goya vs Hosteria Grau - Who wins?
adiav Offline

epaulino4: Thanks, I'll take a look at their site.

MadridMan: What can I say? I don't think I'm that bad with forums, but for some reason, I think only a couple of those results showed up for me. Oh well. Thanks for helping me out!

-adiav

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments