Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#82268 - 04/18/04 02:01 PM the end of a brief chapter
almohada Offline

Loc: Madrid
So the deed is done. Zapatero just announced that Spain is to pull its troops out as soon as possible.

Not only does is it sickening me in a profound manner, but the removal of Spanish troops from what is now an effort to give the poor and defenseless of Iraq a chance to regain some dignity signals the end of a brief but remarkable run as an newly independent nation. From this point on Spain will now accelerate its diffusion into greater Europe.

Say want you want about the foray into Iraq. Vent your anger against the US all you want. But abandoning Iraq NOW is about the most cowardly unilateral act by a Western nation since the collaboration papers signed by Vichy France.

Hate Aznar and the PP all you want, but those old enough to have some sense of perspective know that only eight years ago, Spain was an economic backet case, with unemployment north of 20% and the poorest Western European nation on a per capita basis. Do not forget that the PSOE had twelve years to drive Spain into the depths from which it has recovered so proudly.

For a brief eight years, Spain actually stood as an independent voice in Europe, a refreshing break from the tireless self-promotion of a dying imperialist France. Ironically, the media has portrayed Aznar as Bush's lap dog. How sadly untrue. Zapatero has made it clear that he will march in step with France and Germany. No independece there, folks. But I guess in a country based largely on non-durable consumption and tourism from the "north," who cares, right? For those who think otherwise, my deepest sympathies.

And when given the chance to join the US and others in fighting or perhaps other countries, such as Japan, there solely for humanitarian reasons, Z has decided to do neither and simply abandon Iraq altogether for the skirt of France and Germany. Both pathetic and disgusting.

So its back to endless scenes of career diplomats patting each other on the back, boring speeches of how the government is meeting the people's needs, blah, blah...a collection of municipalities in old Europe. Expect frequent kow-towing to the leaders of old Europe (trust me, Spain is not in the inner circle...far from it). Might as well yank down the flag.

Independent Spain is dead! Long live Independent Spain!

#82269 - 04/18/04 02:52 PM Re: the end of a brief chapter
Fernando Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain
I feel ashamed.

Who is going to believe us now when we give our word in international forums?

Very sad. We have gone back dozens of years, and we are now in the hands of a demagogic and populist government.

Fernando

#82270 - 04/18/04 03:27 PM Re: the end of a brief chapter
almohada Offline

well, my friend, if it is any consolation, my home country and home state is afflicted by the same virus. We are likely to share more in common across borders than with many "compatriots."

Such a different world...so alien.

Students of history must recognize that what we are experiencing is not without precedent. The late 1920 and early 30's were filled with debauchery and endless political blabbering. 100-120 million deaths later (hard to absorb the magnitude of such a number, isn't it), we emerged into a vastly different world.

These things happen in cycles. While the next "trough" may not happen in our lifetime, it would be naive to think the irrationality of this world can continue for much longer.

Ironically, although I question many, many aspects of their movement, it seems as though only the Muslims have a unified conviction. Their leaders are absolutely correct when they point out our weaknesses. Should we really let the momentum of a fanatic-led global jihad roll beyond intl control, these skirmishes in Iraq will seem like foreplay.

France and Germany will see hundreds of Atochas. But who in the US will give a rat's a** then?

Ever try to get in front of a moving mass? A lot easier to stop it when its moving slowly.

#82271 - 04/18/04 03:48 PM Re: the end of a brief chapter
Sheryl Offline

Loc: Lowell, Massachusetts
So...why do I feel as if we are not re-living the 1920s-1930s, but rather 711 and the story of El conde Julián?

Sheryl

#82272 - 04/18/04 06:28 PM Re: the end of a brief chapter
almohada Offline

Sheryl,
The folks I met Andalucia raised this very issue. Now, while I have not felt this all has been a principled and planned movement with goals of conquest, if the present momentum continues as we have been witnessing, who knows?

#82273 - 04/18/04 07:30 PM Re: the end of a brief chapter
Sheryl Offline

Loc: Lowell, Massachusetts
Almohada- (now I have a desire to put my head down...)

To tell the truth...I'm not sure what any of this means. By that I mean...

I truly did believe that there were WMD's in the country. After all, this was a man (Hussein) who used the weapons on his own people ten years earlier. But, once we found out that there weren't any, our tactic should have changed.

One fact is for sure: Americans, and I am one, do not seem to understand how to deal with the Muslim world. The Spanairds, on the other hand, have a long history with them. Perhaps, if they, the American people, were to study it, they would understand.

One other fact comes through: although the Spanairds "knew" how to deal with the "moros" 500 years ago, they don't seem to know now. Perhaps, they too need to study/ restudy their own history.

Spanish history has shown that, unfortunately, giving into the Muslims only leads to more problems. I don't like war. I don't see the point. However, we are looking at this war from a Judeo-Christian perspective...not Muslim. That's the problem.

Sheryl

P.S. Perhaps the andaluces look at the problem differently because their history is intertwined with 711 and, of course, ultimately with 1492.

#82274 - 04/18/04 08:25 PM Re: the end of a brief chapter
Wolf Offline

Loc: Rockford, IL/Milton, WI, USA
I can understand Zapatero's desire to fulfill a campaign promise. Removing Spanish troops at the end of June was understandable. What I don't understand is his rush to do so because everyone, including the UN, aren't doing "exactly what he wants." He's doing exactly what his "advisors" in France and Germany are telling him to do. Its a funny thing about the Germans. It seems like about every half century they try to take over europe.

I can forgive the Spanish forces leaving but not like they intend leaving. They're opening up the door for vastly increased violence against American troops, and many will die because of it. That - I'm afraid - I cannot, and will not forgive.

Good luck to the Spanish government. You're going to need it.

TW

#82275 - 04/18/04 10:43 PM Re: the end of a brief chapter
Booklady Offline
Executive Member

Loc: U.S.A.
I agree, it is a very sad day for Spain. Pacifism has had a victory, as it had in the 1930's, one which those involved will eventually regret. Almohada is right, history is repeating itself, you do not have to be a prophet to see the ending here. Zapatero apparently had earlier given June 30th as the date for withdrawal, so now he changed his mind, unilaterally, as Almohada says.

#82276 - 04/18/04 10:45 PM Re: the end of a brief chapter
Kurt Offline

Loc: Chicago, IL. USA
Spain's word is now worthless.

After hearing of Spain's Sauve qui Peut retreat today, I am hardly suprised, nor am I too upset about it. Worse is yet to come. I've recently been perusing the BBCnews.com site's bulletin board regarding bin-Laden's 'truce' offer to the people of Europe. It is alarming. Well over half of the European replys enthusiatically support cutting a deal with al-Queda and leaving America alone to face this. The langauge used to describe America in these replys is incredible. I've come to realize that the US and Europe were 'traditional allies' only as long as the American checkbook was open and Stalin's Red Army was just over the horizon.

European attitudes about America are galling. How they fret over 'surviving American domination'. How arrogant. American generosity to Europeans is unmatched in all of Human history. Not only did the USA provide billions in aid to our former enemies, we sent millions of young Americans to stand guard against the Stalinists.

But that is just the tip of the iceberg for America's great sacrafice for the people of Europe. And this is the thing that infuriates me most. For over two generations, the American people, not the government, not the President, but Americans offered up their homes as nuclear targets to the Soviets to keep the peace in Europe. Americans were willing to see their cities reduced to radioactive slagheaps to keep Europe from falling under domination of the Stalinists. And now they don't trust us?

And this is how they repay us. A level of acrimony and hatred they don't hold for the al-Queda murders of March 11th or the repugnent Saddam Hussein. Suit yourselves, people of Spain and of Europe. But take my advice and teach your children Arabic. They'll need it to plead with thier eventual masters.

#82277 - 04/19/04 03:17 AM Re: the end of a brief chapter
Bricamb Offline

Loc: Cambridge UK
I think that many of the Irakies the Spanish worked with will be sad to see them go as they were apparently liked by the local people, more so than the Americans or the British. However, I do not think that Mr Zapatero could do otherwise than to proceed with his withdrawal of troops, something he'd placed at the top of his election manifesto. That's democracy after all. Sadly I think the terrorists will, however, consider this a major victory.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Alex Layton, Laurakt, sopas, striz
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1608 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments